05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

blackout panel is this one any good?

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/05, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all,

I was thinking about getting a blackout panel for my stang I searced ebay found 1 guy selling them cheap but I know if it's what I think I'm getting.

from auction.

2005 Mustang Custom Blackout Panel: This goes between the rear tail lights. The 2005 Mustang looks too fat out back with the large rear bumper, trunk lid panel and low license plate location. This black vinyl panel makes a huge difference in geometry and style. The car looks thinner in the back end and adds some desperately needed contrast to the back end of ANY color car! This panel is custom cut to fit great! This panel can be removed with no paint damage if you change your mind later. This panel hugs the paint surface actually adding protection to the panel. You do not need to remove the rear round gas cap emblem to install this. The vinyl is gloss black.

How easy is this to install? Very easy with instructions included. You should be in a warm garage. You need a clean cloth, a water soap mixture and a squeegee! Once the panel is wet with the solution, you can take your time positioning it perfectly!

Is that the kind everyone is buying? is that the same as Xenon's?

or is there a hard plastic version?

thanks for any help on this topic.

btw heres pics from the auction

zach
Old 3/16/05, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Zach,

The Xenon is a hard plastic piece with a hole cut in the center for the emblem. I was thinking about that one but on several I have seen the hole is too large and you can see the paint color around the emblem. Maybe that is just some of them.

The one on Ebay is vinyl and comes with a hole cut in it also. You stretch the vinyl over the emblem. That would give you a closer fit on the emblem but I don't like the stretching part. What if you rip it?

I went to a local sign shop today. They will remove the emblem, put on a custom cut piece of automotive grade flat black vinyl and then put the emblem back on over the vinyl (as it should be). Cost $40.

Check your local places too. Just my opinion.
Old 3/16/05, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

www.graphic-express.com has tail panels in various colors, including gloss and matte black.

I have always been happy with their quality of products, and will be using their panel when I do it.
Old 3/16/05, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

thanks drew

lol
I think I might try out the ebay vinyl one for now there fairly cheap so I won't be losing much if it fails i guess.

thanks, zach
Old 3/16/05, 06:50 PM

I bought the vinyl one from the Ebay seller. He shipped it very promptly. It went over the emblem very nicely and I had no problem putting it on. It really looks nice on my Legend Lime GT, IMHO.
Old 3/16/05, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

cool you think you could post some pictures?^^^

thanks, zach
Old 3/16/05, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Vinyl is defenetily the way to go, you can always take it off later down the road.

I would strongly suggest going with a flat black over gloss though. It looks a lot better. I originally had gloss being put on but before the guy could finish I had him change to flat black. Just my opinion though.

Take a look in my gallery for some pic's

NIck
Old 3/16/05, 10:00 PM
V6 Member

I bought one of the vinyl ones from the same seller and the xenon at the same time because I wanted to see what each looked like. The xenon piece didn't fit well. The area around the rear emblem didn't fit snuggly and you could see too much paint showing through. The vinyl decal however worked great. I am really pleased with how it turned out.
Old 3/16/05, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

mine is flat black vinyl.
Old 3/17/05, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was one of the first to buy the vinyl from the ebay guy. Unfortunately, us first few people had our shipments get lost. He is sending out a replacement to us. The guy was quick to repsond and easy to work with. I can't wait for mine to come in.
Old 3/17/05, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by RetroKid@March 16, 2005, 4:30 PM
hi all,

I was thinking about getting a blackout panel for my stang I searced ebay found 1 guy selling them cheap but I know if it's what I think I'm getting.

from auction.

2005 Mustang Custom Blackout Panel: This goes between the rear tail lights. The 2005 Mustang looks too fat out back with the large rear bumper, trunk lid panel and low license plate location. This black vinyl panel makes a huge difference in geometry and style. The car looks thinner in the back end and adds some desperately needed contrast to the back end of ANY color car! This panel is custom cut to fit great! This panel can be removed with no paint damage if you change your mind later. This panel hugs the paint surface actually adding protection to the panel. You do not need to remove the rear round gas cap emblem to install this. The vinyl is gloss black.

How easy is this to install? Very easy with instructions included. You should be in a warm garage. You need a clean cloth, a water soap mixture and a squeegee! Once the panel is wet with the solution, you can take your time positioning it perfectly!

Is that the kind everyone is buying? is that the same as Xenon's?

or is there a hard plastic version?

thanks for any help on this topic.

btw heres pics from the auction

zach
I ordered, recieved and installed this same panel. It's vinyl, very easy to install, with a spray bottle with soapy H20, looks great as you can see by my avitar. Was only 25.98 with shipping, arrived quick to.
Old 3/17/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Funny, I just bought that panel from the same guy. Couldn't beat the price. I can't wait to put it on! Someting else to look forward to once I get my car.
Old 3/17/05, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

I bought mine on ebay for $20. Took about 30 minutes to install and no problems so far. I like the vinyl idea because it can be removed.
Old 3/17/05, 06:03 PM
V6 Member

Could some of you guys that have the ebay vinyls please detailed pictures of them??

you guys say that seller is quick to responses I've been waiting 2 days and he still hasn't replied to my email :notnice:
Old 3/17/05, 07:18 PM

is the xenon one glossy? does anyone have a picture of the xenon one compared to the others?
Old 3/17/05, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RetroKid@March 17, 2005, 8:06 PM
Could some of you guys that have the ebay vinyls please detailed pictures of them??

you guys say that seller is quick to responses I've been waiting 2 days and he still hasn't replied to my email :notnice:
He emailed me pretty quickly and I recieved my decal in less than a week if I remember correctly. Here's a picture.
Old 3/17/05, 07:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by JerseyBlue@March 17, 2005, 9:21 PM
is the xenon one glossy? does anyone have a picture of the xenon one compared to the others?
Yes it is glossy but I don't have a picture. It's the same material/ color as the taillight blackout covers.

The vinyl is more of a semi-gloss black.
Old 3/17/05, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just got mine in the mail today. Here are a few pics:

[attachmentid=14936]

[attachmentid=14937]

Nice one of finish:

[attachmentid=14938]
Old 3/17/05, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

thanks for the pics guys

this guy selling them on ebay is cool and worked with me on a decent price.
Old 3/17/05, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

$20.50, I was only the second bidder.

Quick Reply: blackout panel is this one any good?