05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Black paint question!

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/13, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black paint question!

Hello friends! Bought a venom hood and the GT500 front end conversion kit and i want to paint the all car. Anyone here painted the car in a different black from the original? I was checking the paint code and the code is "UA", but that's not even a metallic color well, im not thinking necessarily on a metallic colour but maybe using the original color with a little more clearcoat or something just to get a little extra bright and depth from the paint.

Found this article from a project on a Camaro and loved the colour but just cant figure out out they have made :s they talk about stage 6 clearcoat, can anyone help me with this? If anyone painted or so i would appreciate pics to if possible

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...ts-zr1-camaro/

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english
Old 9/19/13, 05:18 PM
GT Member

UA is Ebony in the factory. The problem with switching colors is the cost to do it right. You're talking engine bay, door jams and decklid. To get it professionally done you're looking at 7-10k easily. To do it yourself.....I hope you have a lot of experience. Even just switching to a different clear you're going to need to sand the entire car down or you'll have too thick of a coat on the car and your paint with crack like an egg shell if you ever get bumped.

So I guess you should ask yourself just how big of a project do you want to take on and what's your budget.

Last edited by XEDES; 9/19/13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 9/21/13, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply Xedes ill stick to the UA code but just getting a little more clearcoat. Talked to the painter and he will disassemble doors, trunk, everything in exterior and then do it righ. The engine bay ill keep it like it is for now.
Old 9/23/13, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
how much did the painter quote you for the job?