05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Baltimore Street Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/08, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baltimore Street Mods?

I was looking at baltimore street mods for some stripes for my vista blue pony package v6 and i think i have decided on the superstripe for the hood only in matte black and possibly some type of side striping in matte black as well. Because this would not involve any bumper striping, how difficult of an install do you all think this would be. I have never installed stripes or any type of graphic and was wondering if this would be a reasonable challenge to take on.

Hood Stripe:
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=16

Side Stripes:
The stripe on the red mustang at the top is the side stripe i am thinking of

Thanks to everyone who has any input.
Old 11/30/08, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I did the wide hood stripes on mine and it wasn't too bad.
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...&products_id=9

My car is the windveil blue one on the bottom row of customer pics at the bottom of the page.

I had someone help me because they are large and I wanted to make sure I lined them up right.
I used some blue painter's tape to mark where I wanted them after measuring and remeasuring to make sure. then use LOTS of water & soap solution so you can slide them around if needed. Do NOT do it in the sun. Inside in the cool shade is best so you can postion them before they start to dry. Then squeegee, squeegee, squeegee to get all the water & bubbles out. At first it seems like they are not going to stick then they just do. Follow the directions and take your time and it should go well. It took me about two hours or so.
Old 11/30/08, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow that is very reassuring. Especially seeing your car with the stripes installed. It looks great! I do plan on having my dad help me with the install and i will definitely be measuring and remeasuring beforehand. Since you mentioned the temperature and i am planning on getting these as a christmas present, do you think that january weather in Georgia will be suitable for the install? Or should i wait until it warms up a little?
Old 11/30/08, 06:21 PM

Use a laser level to help line up stuff if you are going over the windshield. I concur with Gary.
Old 11/30/08, 07:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The superstripe is a little more difficult to install because of the wide center stripe and the curves of the hood. It took my professional installer quite a bit of time and he said it was the most difficult installation he has done.

But it does look great!
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=16
Old 11/30/08, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh darn! Thats not what i was wantig to hear. If it is infact too difficult for me to do myself, do you mind me asking how much he charged to do it?
Old 12/1/08, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
the wide stripe that goes over the center would be more difficult than two stripes that go along side of it. I did two stripes. I had a vinyl sign guy help me out with them. He doesn't do car graphics, just flat surfaces. But he knew what exactly needed to be done. With a solid stripe that runs down the center line, you're going to get some bunching up of the vinyl in certain areas. But you may be able to rub them out. It the conditions are perfect, heat will dry the solution, and you basically just knead the ripples out. I spend a half hour with the rear bumper just kneading the bumps out.

It'll be harder than 2 stripes but not impossible, as you can see from other cars that have had it done. Juts take your time, and just work the stripe into place. If it doesn't look good, just gently put up on it, and lay it back down again. You'll have some leeway with a soap/water/alcohol solution. (soapy water to make it slide, Alcohol to make it dry quicker)

Where my stripes tuck under the hood, it rippled up a little. But just by working it gently with my fingers got rid of it, and it now sits flat.
Old 12/1/08, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I did mine from the front to the back with ease, with patience you'll be just fine. Keep it wet and if you don't like how it went down just move it while its wet. Do Eeeet, you will like it.
Attached Thumbnails Baltimore Street Mods?-llr0332-4.jpg  
Old 12/3/08, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Those stripes look great! Im very excited to do this mod. My thinking is that for $60 this mod will change the whole look of my car given that it is completely stock right now. I cant wait!
Old 12/3/08, 08:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
WTCV6Stang - the install shop charged me $150 to install the stripe from the front to back, down the rear bumper. I installed the front bumper myself. The shop said that it caught a lot of attention when it was outside drying, and that they would charge a lot more if someone else came in and asked them to install the kit.

I checked with another shop recently about redoing my hood with the new cut out stripe for my Roush hood scoop, and they wanted $125 just to do the hood. Since I now plan to paint the stripes (the front and rear bumper have been painted now) I decided to live with the bunching that happens around the scoop with the original kit.

And the dual stripes like on GrnT's are a lot easier to do compared to the Shelby Super Stripe style
Old 12/3/08, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my own Superstripe from BSM.....Challenging? Absolutely...but, I had never done any stripes before in my life...Do-able? Yep. Follow the BSM instructions closely, and make sure you have plenty of time, even more patience, and an extra set of hands to help with the hood stripe.....
The side stripes are a cake-walk......

Mike

Old 12/4/08, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Your cars all look great. Given that im not wanting to pay 3 times the cost of the stripe to have it installed, it looks like im going to have a tough decision to make on whether to install this myself or go in another direction.
Old 12/5/08, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
What I did was contact a local vinyl sign guy. If you can provide a template for them, they could cut out anything you want. And they would help you install it. Mine only cost $200 for everything. Material, and 11 hours of labor. I also helped with the entire process of installing. But the end result was much better and cheaper than if I bought from an online dealer.

And if you're doing strait stripes that go over the edge of the hood, it shouldn't be a problem for them to cut out a 14inch stripe a couple feet long. But if you do something that has rounded edges, and stops before the edge of the hood, they would need some kind of file to work from.

Last edited by woody24; 12/5/08 at 09:55 AM.