05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Back from the Body Shop!

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/05, 10:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took delivery of my car last Thursday. I took it back in to the body shop (Mike Raisor Ford, Lafayette, IN) on 9/6 to have stripes painted on, and picked it up today. I absolutely love it! The gap is 1 1/2" and the stripes are each 10 1/2". The paint code for the stripes is YZ, and they re-clear coated the entire front bumper, hood, roof, trunk, and back bumper. It cost me $1,163 and has a 5 year warranty.
Old 9/9/05, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

another ...
Old 9/9/05, 10:28 PM
V6 Member

and some more ...
Old 9/9/05, 10:32 PM
FR500 Member

Torch and White are a great combo Looks like they did a good job
Old 9/9/05, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

THAT is why I want painted stripes, it looks awesome!!!!!!! And that is a great price, most places are giving me qoutes around 2K. Are they tapered or just straight?
Old 9/9/05, 10:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

They did a fantastic job, looks great.
I love that combo as well
This looks like the start of a beautifully modified Mustang, keep us updated on more mods, since you know there'll be tons more.
Old 9/9/05, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

That looks amazing. You make me want to get stripes for mine but I've promised not to do any appearance mods until I've done a few performance ones.
Old 9/9/05, 11:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That really sets the car apart! Nice Job
Old 9/9/05, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KB9KHM@September 9, 2005, 11:29 PM
I took delivery of my car last Thursday. I took it back in to the body shop (Mike Raisor Ford, Lafayette, IN) on 9/6 to have stripes painted on, and picked it up today. I absolutely love it! The gap is 1 1/2" and the stripes are each 10 1/2". The paint code for the stripes is YZ, and they re-clear coated the entire front bumper, hood, roof, trunk, and back bumper. It cost me $1,163 and has a 5 year warranty.

It looks great! Were they Shelby specs?

Out in CA. they want about $3K. At that price, I may do it myself, as I use to be a painter and body shop owner, and a friend who will let me us his paint booth.
Old 9/10/05, 12:28 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 9/10/05, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome!

Do you mind if I print your pics, so I can show a shop around here "The Standard" for stripes?

After looking at a few "Vinyl" set-ups, (and all the bubbles and stains that potentially go with it), and now seeing this, I've made up my mind.

PAINT baby!

Now for the "real" next question - how would it look on a Ragtop :scratch:

Thanks for the great pics.

Tom
Old 9/10/05, 04:24 AM
Cobra Member

Painted stripes are the best if you can afford them. Looks great.
Old 9/10/05, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Looks painted is the way to go! As long as the stripes placement is carefully laided out. And the paint is debris free.

Just a note to others, you should receive what you are willing to pay for. The work does vary between cost and painters. Check out a shops detail work on others, before signing for the work to begin. And carefully check a few times before accepting the finished work.
Old 9/10/05, 06:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nole_trainer@September 9, 2005, 11:39 PM
THAT is why I want painted stripes, it looks awesome!!!!!!! And that is a great price, most places are giving me qoutes around 2K. Are they tapered or just straight?
The stripes are straight .... or at least they are supposed to be. I didn't get out the tape measure (yet) to see how exact they turned out.

I got the quote (in writing) for the paint job when I ordered the car in June. So when I went back this week to get the work done they told me that the guy who did the quote didn't work there anymore, and that he left a bunch of stuff off of the quote that would raise the price quite abit. So I had an estimator and the head painter look over my car for about 15 minutes and figure out all the stuff that needed to be added to the quote to get the job done. All the while I was wondering what the actual price was going to turn out to be. To my total amazement, the estimator told me that while my quote was for a lot less than it should be, that they would honor the $ amount on the origional quote! I didn't have to beg, or plead, or get angry about it. I couldn't believe it. When I picked the car up, the estimator guy said that they really learned their lesson on my car, and no body else would be getting a paint job that cheap. Oh well ... I enjoyed feeling like I got a price break somewhere, after paying MSRP for the car.
Old 9/10/05, 06:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mffarrell@September 10, 2005, 12:28 AM
It looks great! Were they Shelby specs?

Out in CA. they want about $3K. At that price, I may do it myself, as I use to be a painter and body shop owner, and a friend who will let me us his paint booth.
I guess I don't know what the Shelby specs are? I loved the look of the white stripes on the GT500 prototype car, and I wanted to get pretty close to that. I spent a lot of time looking at pictures of other cars with stripes on here, and the measurements I came up with, where what seemed best to me baised on what I had seen. I kept going back and forth in my head any where from a 2" gap down to a 1" gap. So in the end I figured I'd better split the difference and go with 1.5". I wanted the width of the stripes to be bold, but not completely dominate the surface of the car. I'm real happy with the way it turned out, and I think I struck a pretty good balance.
Old 9/10/05, 06:52 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 10, 2005, 1:47 AM
Awesome!

Do you mind if I print your pics, so I can show a shop around here "The Standard" for stripes?

After looking at a few "Vinyl" set-ups, (and all the bubbles and stains that potentially go with it), and now seeing this, I've made up my mind.

PAINT baby!

Tom
If you'd like, I can get you higher resolution versions of these pictures (better for printing). I'd also be glad to take additional pictures for you if that would help at all. Just let me know!
Old 9/10/05, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 10, 2005, 12:47 AM
Awesome!

PAINT baby!

Tom
I originally went with vinyl because I was not sure if I would like it or not. I reeeeeally like it so I am saving up for the complete painted version. I also want to get the GTR hood at the same time.

KB9KHM :worship: :worship: :worship: - that looks AWESOME - I will be saving copies to show whoever does my painting also.
Old 9/10/05, 10:35 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Are those the Ford Accessory stripes?
Old 9/11/05, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@September 10, 2005, 12:35 AM
Torch and White are a great combo Looks like they did a good job
Beautiful Color Combo!! They did a great job!!
Old 9/11/05, 02:58 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Those look really good!!

Quick Reply: Back from the Body Shop!