05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Anyone relocated their horn from the front grill?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/10 | 01:56 AM
Post *****

Anyone relocated their horn from the front grill?

I had the front bumper off the car doing some other mods when I decided I'd take the horn out and see how it looked. It looks a lot better not staring at me behind the Bullitt grill. Problem is I need a horn. I think its a law or something.

Has anyone here relocated their horn? If so where did you put it?
Old 1/3/10 | 05:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Maybe this will help.

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...orn+relocation

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=438741
Old 1/3/10 | 07:38 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Gary,

If you get a chance to take a few pics please post them. This is something that I would also like to do.

Thanks!!
Old 1/3/10 | 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I made this grille out of a Shelby surround and some wire mesh I got from McMaster-Carr. I made a stainless bracket for the Shelby Tri-Bar Pony and bolted it to one of the vertical supports.

I moved my horn(s) to the lower Right, just behind the washer bottle, behind the bumper cover. I used the factory bracket and an existing bolt that was mounted to the bumper support. I then drilled a single secondary hole and as I installed a second bolt, put some silicone sealant there to avoid any corrosion from breaking the integrity of the paint with the drill hole.

You can use the stock bracket and the wiring harness for the horns can be rerouted such that no splicing or cutting is required. This will allow you to go back to stock in the event you ever sell the car. Also, the sound from the horn is unchanged outside the car when used.
Old 1/3/10 | 09:52 AM
Post *****

Huge help Gary. I think I read that thread before when it was new but wasn't sure if it was on this forum. That helps a lot. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 07S197
Gary,

If you get a chance to take a few pics please post them. This is something that I would also like to do.

Thanks!!
I shall try. I am awful at pics because I get into doing the work and forget anything else.

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp

I made this grille out of a Shelby surround and some wire mesh I got from McMaster-Carr. I made a stainless bracket for the Shelby Tri-Bar Pony and bolted it to one of the vertical supports.

I moved my horn(s) to the lower Right, just behind the washer bottle, behind the bumper cover. I used the factory bracket and an existing bolt that was mounted to the bumper support. I then drilled a single secondary hole and as I installed a second bolt, put some silicone sealant there to avoid any corrosion from breaking the integrity of the paint with the drill hole.

You can use the stock bracket and the wiring harness for the horns can be rerouted such that no splicing or cutting is required. This will allow you to go back to stock in the event you ever sell the car. Also, the sound from the horn is unchanged outside the car when used.
Thanks Shaun. That sounds great. Best part is the stock wiring will reach.

I was going to go to the drivers side initially just because there is so much room over there, but this will be much better.
Old 1/3/10 | 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

To remove the horns in their present mount take off the cover over the top that fills between the grille and the rad, disconnect the wiring harness and remove each horn separetly from the mounting bracket and drop out below. Now undo the mounts for the bracket and drop it out the bottom. Take the mount bracket and use a cold chisel to break the two spot welds and discard the bottom half. Take a hammer and knock out the stud on the top piece you have left with the holes for the horn mounts. You will need a 1/4 inch fender bolt and nut to remount this piece to the hole in the headlight bracket through the hole left when you removed the stud. Now remount the horns in a downward facing position and tighten the nuts and reconnect the wireing harness after you reroute it to the new position. You will want to be careful about the positioning before you tighten down everything to avoid any contact with any metal that might cause a vibration. I found it very easy to achieve. The only problem this remount might cause is a removal of the large harnesses for the computer. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Old 1/3/10 | 04:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Yeah, see that thread linked earlier. I took some good pics when I relocated mine. Let me know if you have any questions Gary.
Old 1/3/10 | 10:53 PM
Post *****

Well I relocated down to the driver side behind the front marker in the bumper. There was an existing hole that I just slapped it in. It will be completely out of sight there and still plenty of room. I will have to extend the wires though, but the passenger side was not good for me as my intercooler water pump was in that location, and while I could have tried to fit it, this just worked best. The best thing is my Bullitt grille is now completely clear behind it and it looks so much better. I even sprayed the condensor coil with a few coats of flat black and I can't imagine it looking any better than it does now. I will post pics later. I'm still working on the the lower bezel fog light install. A huge PITA when you have a giant heat exchanger for an SC in the lower grille.
Old 1/4/10 | 07:43 AM
I lust for a M24

I also shot some paint when I did mine. The red upper tie bar looked horrible poking through the grill. A little flat black and it's been good to go ever since.
Old 1/4/10 | 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

I am glad someone made a thread about this; I have been thinking about doin the same thing.
Old 1/4/10 | 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PIKE2244
I am glad someone made a thread about this; I have been thinking about doin the same thing.
I did this way back in August of 06 !
Attached Thumbnails Anyone relocated their horn from the front grill?-dcp-1959-large-.jpg  
Old 1/6/10 | 09:29 PM
Post *****

Finished up tonight. Took some pics before I put the cover back on...

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
Old 1/7/10 | 12:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have been thinking about stealing the horns off my daughters caddy for my car. lol ... the pics look fine Gary
Old 12/2/10 | 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just finished doing this mod and here's a Before/After pic andmore picyures that are a little clearer for thos who want to try it..

BEFORE

AFTER

This is where the bracket is relocated.

Last edited by Dineau; 12/2/10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12/4/10 | 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Man I really need to do this. I hate where it is located!
Old 12/15/12 | 10:11 PM
GTR Member

isnt it amazing what searching does instead of starting new threads lol
Old 12/16/12 | 07:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I did end up putting the caddy horns on my car. You can hear me now
Old 12/16/12 | 08:45 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
What's the difference
Old 12/16/12 | 11:47 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nice, thou I do have to say that in all Ford horns are far better than what comes on many other cars. You have to turn the radio down to hear the one in my Altima.
Old 12/16/12 | 02:59 PM
GTR Member

lol
Attached Thumbnails Anyone relocated their horn from the front grill?-image-3502606961.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone relocated their horn from the front grill?