05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antenna question

Hi all,

I usually end up putting a cover on my car when I won't be driving it for a few days, but I have to always unscrew the antenna. Is there a cheap and easy way to get rid of that annoying thing? lol
Old 4/20/07, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yup first buy one of these.
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=596

Here's a pic of mine after I painted it black.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rrent=a007.jpg

Then get one of these so you can keep your radio reception.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xSFfFVe...p?i=12044UA200

Here's a write up on how to install the antenna.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58114
Old 4/20/07, 01:12 AM
Cobra R Member

I have my ipod hooked up to my head unit, so I don't use the radio unless it's a long drive home. I just got the UPR antenna delete. The stock antenna is pretty easy to unscrew, just make sure not to mess up the black plastic at the bottom, I made that mistake.
Old 4/20/07, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

****! You gotta take the whole car about to do this! lol
Old 4/20/07, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's another solution.... you can buy a grommet for your car cover.. just mark on your cover where antenna hole needs to be, then punch hole and add grommet. That's what I did and works great. I also swapped out the towering OEM antenna for a 14" shorty... still gets great reception and is easy to thread through car cover hole when covering.
Old 4/20/07, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-4391-23-0.html
Old 4/20/07, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05blackV6
****! You gotta take the whole car about to do this! lol
Not really. It would take you between an hour and hour and a half to install the new antenna from start to finish. Or you could take it to your local circuit city or best buy and have them install it for $30-40 bucks.
Old 4/23/07, 04:38 PM
GT Member

How about this shorty antenna?

If you are tired of screwing your antenna off to put your car cover on, try this one...

http://www.newedgeperformance.com/in...ROD&ProdID=489

I hope this helps.

Tony D
Old 4/25/07, 08:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

You could just buy one of the Metra universal power antennas and replace the stock on with it. I did that on the 88 and 99 I had. Didn't have to worry about some one breaking the antenna off and no holes in the car cover. Here is a couple of pictures of the 88 and 99. Basically I cut the tabs off of the factory base reuse the base tabs and cover stick the new antenna through the hole and secure. the only wiring you need is a switched 12 volt source or you could use a relay and the amp signal wire. to raise the antenna. Here is what i am talking about. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do You can find it cheaper at autozone or pepboys
Attached Thumbnails Antenna question-dyno.jpg   Antenna question-my88_2.gif  
Attached Images  
Old 4/28/07, 03:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kh765
I have my ipod hooked up to my head unit, so I don't use the radio unless it's a long drive home. I just got the UPR antenna delete. The stock antenna is pretty easy to unscrew, just make sure not to mess up the black plastic at the bottom, I made that mistake.
That's exactly the problem I had while trying to pop out the plastic lid off the base and get access to the torx screws underneath. I used a screwdriver to leverage it but it started eating into the plastic How did you manage to do it clean? That sucker lid is very well fastened to the base...
Old 4/28/07, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I just gentally bend my antenna to get the cover over the mirror on the passenger side. Its not hard to get it on without removing it.
Old 4/29/07, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by R.A.F.A.L.E.
That's exactly the problem I had while trying to pop out the plastic lid off the base and get access to the torx screws underneath. I used a screwdriver to leverage it but it started eating into the plastic How did you manage to do it clean? That sucker lid is very well fastened to the base...
Unfortunately I didn't manage to do it clean. My plastic base is pretty messed up. I pained the billet antenna black though so it wouldn't stand out as much. Do you think there's any way to fix the plastic base?
Old 4/30/07, 11:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Unfortunately I didn't manage to do it clean. My plastic base is pretty messed up. I pained the billet antenna black though so it wouldn't stand out as much. Do you think there's any way to fix the plastic base?
You could use a small tube of black silicone compound similar to those used on boats (I know Loctite makes them but probably not the best brand) and carefully fill in the cracks. Just make sure you go easy on it and you don't work in the heat. In all cases, protect the car body around the antenna base both during the job and while you let it dry and strenghten in.

I hope I don't get to this point after I've changed my antenna!
Old 5/1/07, 02:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by R.A.F.A.L.E.
You could use a small tube of black silicone compound similar to those used on boats (I know Loctite makes them but probably not the best brand) and carefully fill in the cracks. Just make sure you go easy on it and you don't work in the heat. In all cases, protect the car body around the antenna base both during the job and while you let it dry and strenghten in.

I hope I don't get to this point after I've changed my antenna!
haha, I don't think you should have a problem as long as you are careful. I was a bit careless when I did mine. I think I'll try something like you said, I don't think it can hurt. Thanks for the tip.
Old 6/14/07, 08:08 PM
Cobra R Member

I did it, and I'm much happier with the way it looks now. It looks a bit weird with the silicone but it's better than the gouges.
Old 6/14/07, 08:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about some JB weld?
Old 6/14/07, 09:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought someone made a delete plate for the antenna

I like my converted 9" antenna(come to think of it, so does my girlfriend...)
Old 6/15/07, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

If you get the amplified antenna, you have to be careful what you use for a power source. A switched source is not good enough because in our cars the radio stays on for a while after the ignition is powered off and before the door is open.

I found the power source for the Shaker and it works great. Here's a link to a write up I did:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...a%20Delete.htm

I removed the antenna base and had the hole welded, filled in and painted. They did a great job.