05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 01:42 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Antenna

I love this car, but that antenna just bothers me sometimes. I found a smaller antenna from Steeda for $40, which is MUCH smaller than the factory one. Has anyone just removed theirs and left it as such, or done anything? I really don't want to keep the factory antenna very much longer and would like some opinions. Thanks!
Old 6/11/07, 01:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run and deal 12" and 15" All Sales antennas.
Old 6/11/07, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I love this car, but that antenna just bothers me sometimes. I found a smaller antenna from Steeda for $40, which is MUCH smaller than the factory one. Has anyone just removed theirs and left it as such, or done anything? I really don't want to keep the factory antenna very much longer and would like some opinions. Thanks!
I originally cut the stock oem to about 15"...it isn't that hard really...you have to knock out the ball, cut it to desired lentch and reinstall the ball...you do have to grind the tip to fit the ball though. I used that for a while, however, I just bought a 15" cnc antenna that looks better...look at eBay.
Old 6/11/07, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an 8" from SS inserts. I think 14" will match the top of the windshield. I think there are less expensive options other then SS but I don't have the link on this computer.
Old 6/11/07, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

a firend cut his (same thing 07gtcs did) it looks good to me and he said took longer for the epoxy to dry for the ball than to do the whole job.
Old 6/13/07, 09:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only TMS'r without spell check lol I think I'd like to get as shorty attenna as when you put on a car cover it the long one has to come off , but not with a short one .
Old 6/14/07, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I'm glad I'm not the only TMS'r without spell check lol I think I'd like to get as shorty attenna as when you put on a car cover it the long one has to come off , but not with a short one .
The first thing I did before cutting the oem antenna was the antenna delete option. In other words, the billet stubby know. This is when I had 6 months of Sirius and did not need FM reception. After my Sirius expired I opted not to get it since I wasn't happy with the stations...a lot of repeats. I installed the shortened OEM and now I'm happier than a dog with two tails listening to great stations here in o-town.
Old 6/17/07, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

save your money and cut the OEM antenna. 14" will make it match the roof top and it looks a lot better. No problem with the antenna reception. Took ten minutes and well worth it.
Old 6/17/07, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

So you remove the ball with what? pliers? then cut toi desired length/height, then remove/grind rough edges due to the cut, then use epoxy to te-attach the ball? what about that little wire that's wrapped around the shaft?
Old 6/18/07, 08:07 AM

I bought an 8" antenna from Ebay. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...28988234QQrdZ1

I had a problem of the stock antenna shaking at 75MPH. The new antenna works great too. I live in a remote area and still pick up signals from the local stations. When I bought it, I thought it looked too small in diameter but when I compared it to to the OEM antenna, it was thicker.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna-006a.jpg   Antenna-007a.jpg  
Old 6/19/07, 02:35 AM
GT Member

thanks for the ebay link, i just bought the same, hopefully it will look great
Old 6/19/07, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
So you remove the ball with what? pliers? then cut toi desired length/height, then remove/grind rough edges due to the cut, then use epoxy to te-attach the ball? what about that little wire that's wrapped around the shaft?
I puthe top on the antenna in a vice and just tap the ball off with a hammer and screw driver. Watch where it goes, it will come flying off. I then took a dremel tool and cut the antenna to 14#, grinded the edges off the top so that ball would fit back on, then just glued the ball back onto the antenna. No problems at all. The dremel tool cut through the wire and there were no issues. 10 minutes and it was back on the car.
Old 6/19/07, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks!
Old 6/19/07, 10:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt

On the car cover note, I bought a noah mustang cover with the car and it is still in the box as it's not winter yet....daa, but I was wondering how it would work with the antenna?? I figured it would have to come off but was not sure how to do it, but have not seriously looked at the issue yet either. With a shorty I think it would look better and does it retract (push down) so you do not have to un/re-install the antenna twice a year which is a big plus for those of us using a cover over the winter months.
Old 6/21/07, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BCTechieboy
On the car cover note, I bought a noah mustang cover with the car and it is still in the box as it's not winter yet....daa, but I was wondering how it would work with the antenna?? I figured it would have to come off but was not sure how to do it, but have not seriously looked at the issue yet either.
It should have come with a little two piece grommet.

Take the antenna off and put on the car cover. Mark where the antenna is and cut a small circular hole. Press the grommet top and bottom together. (If I can do it, ANYONE can.)

My only suggestion is to leave a little bit of extra material between the antenna hole and the mirror...mine is a very tight fit and a little hard to get on and off around the mirror because it's pulling against the antenna. (Not a big problem.)

If you are interested, I'll take some pics.
Old 6/21/07, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its easy to chop and make it look good. I like it much better then super-thick rubber and billet ones. Use thick CA(super glue) instead of epoxy, I've done this on a dozen cars.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=62632

Old 6/21/07, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

I just used a end of a crowbar to pry the tip off, cut it down with a hack saw, painted the ball again, super glued it. It looks alot better now that it is flush with the roof line
Old 6/24/07, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I just cut to the chase and got the 14" one from americanmuscle.com. when it was for 14.99 - looks good and keeps reception....
Old 6/25/07, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I just purchased the Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS... it has FM Transmitter....wonder if it will work with a shorty antenna??
Old 6/25/07, 10:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stage 3 Motorsports has a very nice one!!!
Attached Thumbnails Antenna-p1010676.jpg  

Quick Reply: Antenna