05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Another question for those w/ Shelby Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question for those w/ Shelby Conversion

How much lower is the front bumper than stock? what kind of suspension upgrades have you made (i.e. how much lower than stock is your suspension?) I live in good ol' New York City, and really want to order the parts for the conversion ASAP, but am very nervous that it looks like it is much lower thank stock and would hate to mess up the front end.
Old 10/17/06, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll chime in by saying i had the same fear as you, unfortunately it was into my conversion! In the end it was no problem.... I was PM'ing Jess, 2l8iwon, about the same fear..... mine has the Ford racing suspention on it so it is lowered..... the car sits about 4.5" off the ground. The front chin spoilers low point shows about 4.25" off the ground. So far, no problems, however i drive it carefully, pulling out of the driveway S L O W L Y !! and last week let my son drive the parking lot at the school, where we found the installed speed bumps before the entry! I thought for sure we were not going to get in, he got out to watch the clearence, and believe it or not we made it no problem! So.... i would say don't worry about it, unless you have tons of potholes and crazy roads by you that you will have to be on..... I just use this car as a toy, so it's not an eveyday driver for me.
Old 10/17/06, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my car back from paint. My car has not been lowered yet so I can tell you the clearance for the stock suspension if that is what you are looking for?
Old 10/18/06, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

that would be great! if you can tell me the clearance of the GT500 w/ stock, i can see how much of a differance there really is from stock.
Old 10/24/06, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
that would be great! if you can tell me the clearance of the GT500 w/ stock, i can see how much of a differance there really is from stock.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I measure it today and the clearance with stock suspension is 6.5 inches.
Old 10/25/06, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks!
Old 10/25/06, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

I live in Virginia and have BMR lowering springs woth 20" Foose wheels and I have never had a problem with road clearance and I'd argue that the roads here in Va are some of the worse. If it's any measure for you I clear the cement parking stops that are at the end of most parking spots. The was my biggest fear when I attached the lower spoiler, but it will be fine.

Even if you screw it up it's only a $45 piece. The only problem I have is getting into and out of my driveway due to the steeep angle. If I pull head in no dramas, but if I try to reverse into my driveway there is a little rubbing. To fix mine I got a dremel with a grinding wheel and some tire shine and it was perfect.

- Jess
Old 10/25/06, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

good to know you havnt had any problems.
in NYC, the roads are pretty bad, just driving along and all of a sudden your front left tire feels like it is a foot lower than the rest of the car. makes me angry. there are a few places i know to avoid, but its the suprises that are trouble