05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Am I the only one who likes the stock ride height??????

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/08, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the stock ride height??????

How many like the stock ride height? I personally prefer it. I have nothing against lowered mustangs. I think lowering them no more than an inch isn't too bad, but I've seen some dragging the ground. The reason I'm asking is this: I always have people telling me "cool car, now you just need to lower it." I'm just curious how many like the stock ride height.
Old 2/5/08, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I like the stock ride height in the front....... but I lowered mine about 1.5" in the rear.
Old 2/5/08, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it, wish the ride was better,
Old 2/5/08, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Too much space between the tires and wheel wells. I don't mind the height of the car, so much as I mind the space. If I could put a 30" tire on the back, I'd probably enjoy it. Even my 28" drag tires leave a bit to be desired. The front is not terrible, but the rear is. Even base models on other companies' cars have less clearance than Ford's cars (included the Ford GT).
Old 2/5/08, 06:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I like the stock ride height.
It clears the speed bumps.
You don't bottom out or scrape in the potholes.
It handles pretty good.
I've been able to pull .89g @40mph in a 90 degree turn without the tires squealing at all.
Now what is so bad about that?
Sure it can be better, but it doesn't HAVE to be.
And I ain't lowering it because SOMEBODY else thinks I should.
If I want a low race car, I will buy a Corvette also.
Old 2/5/08, 06:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the car without a forward rake. When I first got my car I cut the rear springs to even it out and then fought the urge to lower it, but I didn't like the way it 'felt'. I finally broke down and got some ultralites for the minimal drop with D-specs. As it turns out, my car must have been lower than most at stock height because the ultralites only lowered the front about 1/4" from where it was. The car still sits level and I'm happy with the way it 'feels'. I don't like them slammed - but you should not be able to fit your whole fist between the rear tire and the wheel well...
Old 2/5/08, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like both the stock and lowered look. It really depends on the style of the Mustang and the width of the tires. The retro mustangs look better at stock height and some of the race inspired Mustangs look better lowered.
Old 2/5/08, 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personall I like the drop with the Roush struts and springs. It's probably one of the smallest drops offered by an aftermarket company. 1.5 front and 1 inch rear.
Old 2/5/08, 07:43 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Add a yes vote.
Old 2/5/08, 07:47 PM

Back in the day, it seemed the thing to do was to lift your car higher with air shocks and such, or was that just my crazy friends?
Old 2/5/08, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer a drop! Currently running Saleen springs with Tokico HP dampers Saleen drop 1'' all around, this is my third set of springs, first two Roush and Groundforce I like the Saleen the best ! Get rid of those cat killers lower your Stang!.....
Old 2/5/08, 08:04 PM

Thank you!

I agree with stock ride height. Lowered is way to overrated. I've had one lowered car and I'll never own another...too much of a pain in the *** with angled driveways, speed bumps, pot holes, etc.

I also think ultra low profile tires (45 series, 40 series, 35 series, etc) are overrated. They may look cool on a show car or handle a little better on a track racer but I like being able to drive the heck out of my car without cringing in fear of $$$ damage to rims just from some rut in the road or a minor pot hole.
Old 2/5/08, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

The stock ride height doesnt really bother me at all either. I had considered just dropping the rear a little (maybe an inch) to even it out some, but it's not on top of my wish list.

And like Monterey Dave, I'm not a big fan of the low profiles either. I like to see some "meat" on the rims.
Old 2/6/08, 05:14 AM
GT Member

I really like it. For me it is a cool muscle-car look with this high rear end. Sportscars and Ricers are to be lowered...and real lowriders of course. A muscle looks better with a high back.
I 'll buy 20" for improving ride quality and it won't be to stiff as 20"+lowering might be.
Old 2/6/08, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I like mine the way it is for more of a muscle car look, but I don't totally hate stangs that are lowered a bit. Like has been said though too low is a bit too rice for me. FWIW, I also hate wheels over 18". I'm old school, what can I say?!
Old 2/6/08, 05:51 AM
Cobra R Member

steeda ultralites and tokico d specs for me
Old 2/6/08, 07:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm all for the stock ride height. Keeps the lower parts of the car from getting scraped up, and with a CDC chin spoiler, that would be beat to death if I dropped it at all, as the roads in my area SUCK!!! Lowering springs were never part of my mod lists. Keep her at the normal height. No one has mentioned I should drop it at any of the shows I attend.
Old 2/6/08, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

I like the stock ride height too! I am glad that some agree. I think they look good lowered too but I have to drive over speed bumps daily. A friend of mine has a steep driveway that I would scrape in my Taurus but I have never scaped the bottom of my Stang.

The other thing is that once you start playing with the lowered suspension it seems like it is a never ending process of modding to get the ride right. It can be a real money pit.
Old 2/6/08, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
same here.

When i bought my mustang, i had two gripes about the the car - the ride height and the front bumper had to be changed. I got springs/shocks and a cdc chin spoiler.

Ive owned alot of lowered cars, ive never had any issues with pot holes, speed bumps, or driveways. Lowering a car is different then slamming a car.
Old 2/6/08, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302

+1

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who likes the stock ride height??????