05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Agent 47 Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/11, 06:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agent 47 Mirrors

I bought a set of mirrors from Bangastang and they are having them painted for me to match my Mustang, I'm only painting the mirror head, leaving the rest black the question I have is the black textured like the stock Ford window trim, I can't really tell from any photos I have.
Thanks,
LeeU

Last edited by LeeU; 3/6/11 at 06:49 AM.
Old 3/6/11, 07:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

The Agent 47 mirrors are smooth plastic and take paint very well. I also painted only the mirror housing and it looks great.
Old 3/6/11, 07:29 AM
V6 Member

Thanks MustangGuy,
So they are smooth no texture, I guess it would have been hard for Agent 47 to match the texture that is on the stock mirrors.
Thanks,
LeeU
Old 3/6/11, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LeeU
Thanks MustangGuy,
So they are smooth no texture, I guess it would have been hard for Agent 47 to match the texture that is on the stock mirrors.
Thanks,
LeeU
These 2nd generation mirrors have arrived with new UV stable resin. No longer is paint required on the mirrors. They will come to you in a beautiful black satin finish that can be installed without paint. If you do choose to paint them, there will be no texture to tediously remove like the stock mirrors.

If anyone else is looking to replace their mirrors we are running a special on them.

https://themustangsource.com/f811/ag...-price-489086/

Ken

Last edited by southernmustangparts; 3/6/11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 3/6/11, 11:00 AM

I have the mirrors and they do have a very small amount of texture and I think they match the texture and color of the black plastic door trim pretty exactly.
Old 3/6/11, 06:39 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple things...

For full disclosure - we offer the A47 mirrors as well, painted, two toned, etc... we were their first dealer in the USA, going back probably 4 years now, and have been painting them from day one in single and two-tone combos.

That said, even with the improved resin, the second gen pieces still are susceptible to sun damage and therefore we recommend all sets be painted, either by us, or even by yourself using nothing more than a good primer and barbeque black enamel (nice satin finish and holds up well to the sun.) Sets that are not painted will show signs of sun fade eventually (depends on latitude and time outside as to when) and so will need to be painted at some point to keep their good looks.

The texture on the majority of the factory pieces is actually an acid etched surface and is applied to mold tools to help hide flow marks, minor flaws, etc.. it's along the same reasons why the interior trim always has a texture - smooth surfaces in plastic tend to have a higher visual reject rate in molding, and therefore are avoided when possible - it also is easier to "pop" from the mold, making for easier production compared to having parts stick in cycle (think how a suction cup only adheres to smooth surfaces like glass, but won't stick to textured drywall). Since the tool for the mirrors is relatively small, A47 did a light sandblast etch, which while appearing nice, does not match exactly to the window surround molding. This isn't a bad thing, it's just the way they did it (and we would've done the same had we brought ours to market back when they were just releasing theirs, but that's another story...)

So, to answer the question, the head is not identical to the window trim but it is close. I'd suggest painting it rather than leaving it bare plastic, although the body is what normally shows the most fade from the sun since it is a horizontal surface with no shading it still gives you a chance to sand the mold split line, which runs parallel to the mounting arm centerline.

Hope that helps bring some tech
Old 3/6/11, 07:18 PM
V6 Member

Thanks to all the folks that posted. It has been very helpful.
Thanks,
LeeU
Old 3/9/11, 11:08 AM

That is good info to know on the UV aspect. I actually painted the triangle and stem part on mine because I thought the mold seam that A47 leaves behind was rather cheap and ugly looking and so I sanded it off and therefore had to paint those areas.

I was quoted $250 to paint the A47s at my local body shop so I used canned automotive adhesion promoter, primer and semi-gloss black. I sprayed so that the finish of the paint added a bit of texture back to the now sanded smooth plastic. The pods I left unpainted and no one who has seen them can tell the difference between the painted triangle and stem and the unpainted pod. That is how close a match it is.

After 2 years there is no difference in color and no sun fade of either the painted or unpainted portions. My car is garaged and does not go out for a few months in the winter though.

Knowing now what Silverhorse has to say about the UV problem, I will plan on painting the pods when some sign of sun fade becomes noticeable. Despite the lack of final finishing and hassle of having to have them painted at stupidly high prices, the A47s are definitely nicer looking than the stock elephant ears that came on it.

I got mine from Southern Mustang Parts because they were the cheapest total price at the time and had excellent customer service.
Old 3/15/11, 06:35 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the business guys!

We appreciate it!!

Great deal for these if anyone else is looking to replace their stock mirrors.

Ken
Old 3/15/11, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

I got mine from Bangastang.com for $209.00, check out their 1 piece radiator cover.
LeeU
Old 3/24/11, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LeeU
I got mine from Bangastang.com for $209.00, check out their 1 piece radiator cover.
LeeU

your going to love the new look of the mirrors on your stang I just installed mine on tuesday, I got mine from SouthernMustangs for $189 and free shipping and damnn I recieved them in 3 days I love these guys, post pictures after you install them.

Last edited by Javdog; 3/24/11 at 08:15 PM.
Old 3/24/11, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

They are in the paint shop, they have got to look better than the Explorer mirrors I have now.
LeeU
Old 3/25/11, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Javdog
your going to love the new look of the mirrors on your stang I just installed mine on tuesday, I got mine from SouthernMustangs for $189 and free shipping and damnn I recieved them in 3 days I love these guys, post pictures after you install them.
Thanks for the kind words!!!

We appreciate the business.

Ken
Old 3/26/11, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

I have them on my 05 painted black to match my car an they are probably one if the most crucial appearance pieces I did to give me the 67' fastback I was looking for. I highly recommend then and to have them painted to match, you won't be disappointed.
Old 4/16/11, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by southernmustangparts
Thanks for the business guys!

We appreciate it!!

Great deal for these if anyone else is looking to replace their stock mirrors.

Ken
New orders will ship out starting next Wednesday. Sorry for the delay!

Great pricing on these for forum members...

Ken
Old 4/18/11, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ken,
Are you still running the sale on the mirrors?
On your website, they are listed @ 219.
If, so I'll be placing an order.

Thanks

Last edited by aircare84; 4/18/11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 4/19/11, 06:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Ken,
Are you still running the sale on the mirrors?
On your website, they are listed @ 219.
If, so I'll be placing an order.

Thanks
We are.

Just use coupon code mustangsource at checkout. They are actually $209 and the coupon code brings them down to $189

Agent47 Mirror Special

Thanks!

Ken
Old 4/19/11, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Ken,
Ordered today!
Old 4/21/11, 01:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Thanks Ken,
Ordered today!
We appreciate it!!!

Your mirrors are on the way.

Enjoy!

Ken
Old 4/27/11, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Ken,
Received my Agent 47 mirrors today, Thanks!
Painting tomorrow or Saturday, will post pics when installed.

Quick Reply: Agent 47 Mirrors