05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Advise to those who wish to buy upgraded tires

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/06, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it's a no brainer for most but I had never had much trouble with strange objects getting wedged into my tires in bad places that can't be fixed. In fact in the 18 years I've been driving, Ive only had 3 flats, two of which on my '05.

Had a guy at work tell me my tire was flat, ofcourse it had to be the rear, 285/40. When I pulled it off, I was hoping for a typical nail or better yet just a leaky stem but it wasn't. It was a thin, blade like, hunk of metal about an inch wide that cut a gaping wound into the tire tread, through the cords. Almost new, 4 month old tires.

I didn't buy the protection deal, because I'm cheap and didn't think I'd ever need it.

Long story short, I'm buying another $230.00 tire.

This time I added the protection plan, which just in this one instance would have saved me over $100 bucks had I gotten it when I bought the tires.

So just a word to the wise.
Old 2/1/06, 04:04 PM
Queen Of Nascar

You are the 2nd person I have read that was advising this protection. I am seriously considering it since I will be spending $1000 on new tires next week. I've never had a tire damaged that way but it would be my luck to have it happen on a $250 tire. I suppose its better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry that happened to you.
Old 2/1/06, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I feel for you. I had two flat tires in one week once. They were building a few houses down and I kept picking up nails. I was not happy about it.

I figure in the long run it's cheaper for me to buy a tire every once in a while than spend $120 for insurance. I'm also very picky. If I pickup a nail or have any kind of damage I don't want someone telling me that I have to live with a plug/patch because thats what the warranty covers. They say the new patches make the tires good as new, but driving down the road 130+ mph on a patched tire doesn't sound smart to me.

Good luck with your tire, some shops will sell you the insurance up to 30 days or more after their purchase if you buy it on all four.

Jon
Old 2/1/06, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thestoogeo@February 1, 2006, 7:04 PM

They say the new patches make the tires good as new, but driving down the road 130+ mph on a patched tire doesn't sound smart to me.

Driving at 130+ mph in either a patched or non patched tire doesnt seem to smart to me no matter what. Those speeds need to be reserved for the race track and not the streets.
Old 2/2/06, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought some tires from Sam's club for my T-Bird. They come with the protection included in the price. And it was still cheaper than anyone else. I saved about $15-20 a tire.

I drove from Pittsburgh to South Carolina and found I had a flat tire. I brought it to the local Sam's club (which was less than a mile from the hotel ironically) and they fixed it for free.
Old 2/2/06, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Road hazard protection was part of my extended warranty package. And it actually states in there that it is transferrable to new tires if you upgrade or replace them, and will cover up to the price of an original replacement tire.
Old 2/2/06, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

"Road hazard protection was part of my extended warranty package. And it actually states in there that it is transferrable to new tires if you upgrade or replace them, and will cover up to the price of an original replacement tire."

I'll need to run through my warranty thing and see, I also bought the extended warranty. Too late for the new tires but I still have the stock set, one tire with a bolt in the corner. Would be nice to have a full set as back up.

On a side note, bought rims/tires through "Americas tire choice". Total was around $1700.00 bucks, I asked if they'd cut me a deal since I spent so much money with them. They offered me the tire I paid $230.00 for just 4 months ago (at their store no less)for $285.00. I told them forget about it I'll just get it at tire rack, then they offered to match tire racks $229.00 price. They wont get any future business from me or any refferals. You'd think they'd have offered me atleast some sort of discount since I spent so much money with them. Even 50% of the inflated $285 price would have been a nice jesture to retain my future business.
Old 2/2/06, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Road hazard is worth it in my opinion. I patch my tires myself for free anyway, so its not the cost of repair im lookng to save. Its the unrepairable tire that I would get stuck paying for if no road hazard warranty.

typically we charge 10% tire cost over 100 bucks, so if the tire is 220. we charge 22 per tire for road hazard.

And the wider tire you get, more chance of flats.

I would have gave the replacement tire for you at the same price no questions asked. But if you start tryin to price match us with tire rack, theres the door. They are an online dealer, not gonna price match. Not fair to ask of it either.

Tire rack does get some killer prices. Even below my cost from goodyear on occasion. In the past Ive ordered my goodyear tires from them because they were on a close out special and my cost from goodyear was WAY more. This made my boss a little upset at the time, lol

Dont forget to add the cost of shipping and mounting when ordering from the rack.

nynvolt, did you also get the other 3 tires covered when you got the 3rd? They should be able to do this.

80-85% of the tires I sell get the road hazard.
People that come in for flat repairs I offer to waive the repair cost of 22.00 if they buy road hazard for all 4 tires. This also gives them the right to free rotations every 6000 miles. Thats 16.00 a pop itself.

Done with my sales pitch, lol
Old 2/2/06, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silverGTvert @ February 1, 2006, 6:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Driving at 130+ mph in either a patched or non patched tire doesnt seem to smart to me no matter what. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Those speeds need to be reserved for the race track and not the streets.
[/b][/quote]

I guess maybe I should have mentioned that I live in the land of empty interstate. It's kind of like a private autobaun out here in the desert. No traffic, just open road. I wouldn't be driving or passing cars at those speeds, but I do drive fast.

Jon

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Great place to live with a car like that.

I remember being younger and out there in the altitude how much slower my dads 4 banger celica was as compared to sea level. Mustang 5.0's were a plenty tho.

Off topic. Do tuners nowdays take into effect the altitdue you live in? Its got to make a difference.