05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

9008 HID's INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05 | 11:39 AM

I finally found an HID kit for the 9008 bulb type. I wired the kit and it seems to work well with the low beams. But my car is equipped with DRL (daytime running lights) and when they are on, the lights flicker. Does anyone know how to disable the DRLs? From what I understand, all that is involved is unplugging the drl module but I don't know where it is.

If someone can help me, I could get the lights working and test them for a few days.

BTW I bought the kit from ebay, here's the link:
HID kit
I know the title says H1 H4 H7 9006 9007, but if you scroll down you'll see that he has the 9008 bulb. If anyone is buying the kit, make sure you tell him to send the harness with it, and what car its for. Keep in mind you will lose your high beams.

I'll post some more pics later because its raining outside right now.

Old 7/27/05 | 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

No high beams?..why?
Old 7/27/05 | 12:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Another example of you get what you pay for. If you spent the $1K for the Saleen kit you'd have a fully functional HID kit with proper light output.
Old 7/27/05 | 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Where do you plan on getting this car inspected in the future? Possibly if you know someone you can get the lights passed but otherwise the lack of hi beams will cause the car to fail inspection.

I know laws vary state-to-state but have not heard of a state that doesn't require the hi beams to work properly if the car came equipped from the factory with them.
Old 7/27/05 | 08:23 PM

I'm in Canada but i'm not concerned with the laws regarding the lights. I know many people here who have had HID kits for a long time and have no high-beams or DRL and they have never had a problem. I live in the city anyway and I never use my high beams.

I think its great that there is finally an alternative to the Saleen kit. Side-by-side with my dad's Navigator with OEM HIDs the light output is about the same. The installation was also really easy.

If someone can help me disable my DRL I would really appreciate it.
Old 7/27/05 | 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TejGT@July 27, 2005, 8:26 PM
I'm in Canada but i'm not concerned with the laws regarding the lights. I know many people here who have had HID kits for a long time and have no high-beams or DRL and they have never had a problem. I live in the city anyway and I never use my high beams.

I think its great that there is finally an alternative to the Saleen kit. Side-by-side with my dad's Navigator with OEM HIDs the light output is about the same. The installation was also really easy.

If someone can help me disable my DRL I would really appreciate it.
In canada, it is the law that all vehichles built after 97 i believe must have DRLs. To avoid possibly getting pulled over for it, i would reccomend either driving with your headlights on during the day, or wiring up your fog lights to be drls.

Also, some drivers are complete idiots, and we in canada are used to all cars having DRLS, so DRLs may save you from a potential accident.
Old 11/15/05 | 12:27 PM

Hi, I would like to update everyone on the status of my HID kit. I was able to get the lights working about 3 months ago, and they've worked perfectly ever since (Including the DRLs).

If there's still interest in this mod, I don't mind sharing what I've learned to get the kit working properly.
Old 11/16/05 | 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TejGT@November 15, 2005, 1:30 PM
Hi, I would like to update everyone on the status of my HID kit. I was able to get the lights working about 3 months ago, and they've worked perfectly ever since (Including the DRLs).

If there's still interest in this mod, I don't mind sharing what I've learned to get the kit working properly.
where did you buy your HID kit and how much was it?
Old 11/16/05 | 08:23 PM

zgPerformance

I bought the kit from the ebay seller above, the price ranges from $279.99 to $309.99 depending on the type of bulb you want. He also provides free shipping to the US. Ask him to send you the harness too. You'll also need 2 4700uF capacitors to make the kit work on the mustang.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I wish I could take some more pictures but I got rear ended a few days go and my car is in the shop.
Old 11/17/05 | 06:25 AM
V6 Member

Hi TejGT,
I want this mod on my stang. Can you tell excatly what i need ? all items, devices...What info I actually need to tell the dealer.

With this applocation, the center fog lights will not work?

What' a low and high beam?

Sorry, i'm italian, not used with those terms
Old 11/17/05 | 07:01 AM
GTR Member

From Xenondepot:

Will DRL (daytime running lights) or Auto Switch On effect the HID kit?

For vehicles with DRL that use the same bulb for both DRL and low beam you will need to deactivate your DRL. DRL operate on reduced wattage or fluctuating current levels. This will cause the HID system to flicker and burn out prematurely. Please ensure that your OEM headlight harness is providing a constant 12V to ensure that no damage will be caused to the HID system
Old 11/17/05 | 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TejGT@November 16, 2005, 10:26 PM
zgPerformance

I bought the kit from the ebay seller above, the price ranges from $279.99 to $309.99 depending on the type of bulb you want. He also provides free shipping to the US. Ask him to send you the harness too. You'll also need 2 4700uF capacitors to make the kit work on the mustang.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I wish I could take some more pictures but I got rear ended a few days go and my car is in the shop.
That is a great price and do like the look. If they could get something for a little more with functional hi beams, would definitely be a hot seller.
Old 11/17/05 | 02:05 PM

Originally posted by mr-mstng@November 17, 2005, 9:04 AM
From Xenondepot:

Will DRL (daytime running lights) or Auto Switch On effect the HID kit?

For vehicles with DRL that use the same bulb for both DRL and low beam you will need to deactivate your DRL. DRL operate on reduced wattage or fluctuating current levels. This will cause the HID system to flicker and burn out prematurely. Please ensure that your OEM headlight harness is providing a constant 12V to ensure that no damage will be caused to the HID system
Yes this is the case with most HID kits, but the way I was able to get the kit working retains the functionality of the DRLs.

Overall, you'll need:
1. The kit
2. Harness (ask the seller for this)
3. 2x 4700uF capacitors

The harness hooks up to the headlight connector and switches the HID ballasts on and off while drawing power directly from the battery. You'll need to wire the capacitors between the + and - of the harness where it connects to the factory connector.

A friend of mine soldered the capacitors into the harness. Other then that, its a simple install. Also, I can easily go back to stock in 10min. And yes, the fog lights will still work.

Edit: Some pics...

Dad's Navigator:

With the fogs on:

DRLs (note the parking lights are off)

My Poor Car...

The kit i got is 8000k, you can see from the pics that its slightly more blue than the Navigator with OEM HIDs. For a more realistic look, I would go with 6000k.
Old 11/17/05 | 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can the fogs be changed out as well to match??
Old 11/18/05 | 09:08 AM

Originally posted by NOLAGT@November 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
Can the fogs be changed out as well to match??
There shouldn't be a problem with that if you order a kit that matches the bulb type of the fogs. You'll just need to wire a second set of ballasts. I don't think you'll need a harness or capacitors for the fogs.
Old 11/18/05 | 10:05 AM

Excellent price. No high beams though huh? I'm in the US, did your high beams not work due to your DRL ?
Old 11/18/05 | 10:29 AM

Originally posted by 2006GT@November 18, 2005, 12:08 PM
Excellent price. No high beams though huh? I'm in the US, did your high beams not work due to your DRL ?
The problem is that the HIDs can't change their light output like the stock bulb can. Has nothing to do with my DRLs.

I'm hoping someone can figure out how to get the fogs to work as high beams since most people think they're high beams anyway.
Old 11/18/05 | 10:41 AM

So I'm guessing cars/trucks with OEM HIDs have two bulbs? 1 Low and 1 High.

Oh, bummer about getting rearended! Doesn't look too bad, but it still sucks.
Old 11/18/05 | 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Most factory HID cars do indeed have two bulbs on each side for low/high. The high beam bulb in such setups is a normal bulb, not HID. This is due to the time it takes HID's to light (which isn't much, but means using them to flash a car to pass wouldn't work well for instance)

Some setups (like Saleens) have a movable metal shield that adjusts where the light is emitted from the HID bulb and allows the single bulb to perform low/high functions.
Old 11/21/05 | 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

so basically you would be paying 1K for a piece of metal that gives you high beams? I take the $250 kit off of ebay and live without the high beams (and with the extra $750 in my pocket)

Quick Reply: 9008 HID's INSTALLED!