05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

3D carbon Ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/06, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered the 3D Carbon Ducktail & CDC classic chin spoilers.... the body shop that is painting them(along with the mirrors) recomends that I have the rear spoiler epoxied on instead of using the 3M tape.

Has anyone had an problems with the Tape? Is thier a downside to the Epoxy? Not sure what to do.

The guy said he would not charge to epoxy it on(shouldn't for what I am paying for paint)

thnx
Old 2/11/06, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitbyred05 @ February 11, 2006, 7:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just ordered the 3D Carbon Ducktail & CDC classic chin spoilers.... the body shop that is painting them(along with the mirrors) recomends that I have the rear spoiler epoxied on instead of using the 3M tape.

Has anyone had an problems with the Tape? Is thier a downside to the Epoxy? Not sure what to do.

The guy said he would not charge to epoxy it on(shouldn't for what I am paying for paint)

thnx
[/b][/quote]

John, I'd think twice about having it epoxied. If the area where the ducktail sits is prepped properly (alcohol rub or adhesion promoter), you won't have any problems and someday, you might just want to pop your stock spoiler back on. Ripping off a ducktail stuck down with epoxy would just about make that impossible without doing damage.

Mark
Old 2/12/06, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitbyred05 @ February 11, 2006, 6:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

thnx
[/b][/quote]

NO!!! DON'T DO IT!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] As Original Sin said, if you prepare the surface properly, the 3dCarbon DT will stay on just fine. I didn't use the adhesion promoter on the body as the instructions suggested because I know what that stuff can do to paint. I just used Duplicolor Wax remover, rubbing alcohol, and finished off with a quick wipe of laquer thinner. You do need to use the adhesion promoter on the part itself, otherwise the 3M tape will not stick. Let the 3M tape cure on the spoiler parts themselves for at least 24 hours in a warm place before install. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Street Scene mounted with the tape..... I would NOT epoxy.....

The tape is stronger than you think - especially if you clean the surface of the car right and use the prmoter on the ducktail to bond to the tape.

Just for added info - the first time I had the ducktail on the paint job turned out to not be as good as I had wanted - about a month or more later I removed the ducktail to reinstall a new better finished one - just mounted with the tape and lemme tell ya, I almost had to use my body weight leaning back to pry that darn thing off there - that stuff holds pretty good
Old 2/12/06, 10:07 AM
GT Member

I have the 3D Carbon spoiler and used the 3M tape. It works well. No problems. Do not use rubbing alcohol on the paint, use denatured alcohol, it won't ruin the paint. I also used the adhesion promoter included and had no problem or damage to the paint when I removed the first 3D Carbon spoiler they sent me. The first one had ripples and bumps and LM Performance replaced it w/o cost and told me to keep the first one. I took the first spoiler off using a briaded 1/8" nylon line to see-saw underneath the spoiler to release the 3M tape. Cleaned it up with denatured alcohol and attached the new spoiler. No problems. The 3M tape holds well. Don't epoxy it on.
Old 2/12/06, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Have to go with what everyone else is saying DON'T epoxy it on. The 3M tape is INCREDIBLY strong as long as the surface is properly prepped (degreased/dewaxed). It'll be fine.

The only reason I can think of to epoxy it would be if you wanted the seams filled, and even then the filled seams would likely crack eventually due to different thermal expansion rates between the decklid and spoiler.
Old 2/12/06, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the input...sounds like tape is the way to go. I guess it can always be epoxied at a later time if the tape does not hold up. This will be the first time i've added anything to the exterior of a vehicle just want to make sure it is done right.

Thanks again..

John
Old 2/12/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Original Sin @ February 12, 2006, 12:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ripping off a ducktail stuck down with epoxy would just about make that impossible without doing damage.
[/b][/quote]
+1,000
Old 2/12/06, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitbyred05 @ February 12, 2006, 12:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the input...sounds like tape is the way to go. I guess it can always be epoxied at a later time if the tape does not hold up. This will be the first time i've added anything to the exterior of a vehicle just want to make sure it is done right.
[/b][/quote]

If it gives you any extra comfort about doing it "right", the automobile manufacturers use this type tape in many places to attach body parts and trim. I honestly can't think of an instance where they used epoxy to attach a scoop or spoiler...
Old 2/13/06, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my Street Scene ducktail on with the tape only, and it holds like cement. It isn't going anywhere. DO NOT USE EPOXY!! If the body shop guy is the one who suggested it, go somewhere else immediately!!