05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

1 Day, 2 Great Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 11:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK Guys, just got the '05 24 hrs ago. 2 Mods down. Turned all three of the lights in each taillamp assy into brake/turn lamps rather than just the outer two, looks awesome, no pic until I can get someone to push on the brake while I take a pic. Wife's in bed, she's tired after doing her job of 'hold the flashlight.'

But, take a look at this pic... what's that red thing on the dash that matches the ICAP so well? Engine Start button! It works and lights up, works w/ the dash dimmer switch too. I wired it so you can start it by either turning the key (normal) or put in the key and clutch, and you're one button away from the 4.6 exhaust symphony! I can only post pics 2 at a time so I won't show all of them, but I took pics and notes the whole way through, so if anyone wants to do this mod, I can post them.

Watcha Think?
Old 3/23/05, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh man that rocks. How hard was it to wire in the start button and where'd ya buy it?

I like the tail light mod, just too lazy to do it since I'll never get to see it anyway. :P

And your bannana props:

Congradulations!
Old 3/23/05, 11:19 PM
I lust for a M24

I actually go it at PepBoys, but I don't think they carry them any more. You can get them all over the internet though. I think the main brand is 'Ignited' but mine was Conduct-Tite, but they're the same thing. It was a little tricky to rip into the car for the first time. The center console isn't fun to get out, and I nearly took my angle grinder to the cigarette lighter to get it out... there's probably a real easy trick, but I couldn't figure it out. The wiring was easy, it took a while to figure out which wires to tap into, but I got that all written down and photographed, so it'll be easy for the next person. Looks like it's OEM though, I love it.
Old 3/23/05, 11:33 PM
V6 Member

Awsome gotta love push button start
Old 3/23/05, 11:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Man you haven't even got all the plastic off the car yet and you got the push /start ,tail lights done :shock: you sure don't waste any time .
Old 3/24/05, 12:08 AM
I lust for a M24

There's something really cool about pushing the button and feeling the car torque and rumble at start up!
Old 3/24/05, 05:19 AM
Cobra Member

I like that start button a lot. Questions: why did the dealer leave all of the plastic on the car? It looks like it hasn't left the shop yet! Did you ask them to not prep it for you? Is the "Engine Start" silkscreened on? Do you think it will fade with use? Just normal concerns is all. Still like the idea.
Old 3/24/05, 05:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not for me....my kids would be pushing it while I wasnt looking.
Old 3/24/05, 06:03 AM
I lust for a M24

Dealer left the plastic on the car at my request. I used to work for a car dealership and have seen what a PDI guy having a bad day, or mad at his boss, can do.
I'm not sure how the words are put on to the button, but you can by replacement button covers, you can even get them in different colors, I have yellow and blue for when I mess w/ My Color.
It won't start w/out pushing the clutch in and having the key in the ignition, so the '05 should be safe, even w/ children around.
Old 3/24/05, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool!

You mean that Start button really works? I have to get one!!
Old 3/24/05, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Good idea. Something useful for that slot (besides a radar detector).

You wouldn't want to write up a how-to would you?

Also, does it kill the engine after it is started (like many of the new start/stop buttons do)? And what would happen if you press it while the engine is running?
Old 3/24/05, 08:07 AM

What wires did you tap into..I get my car today and i have ordered this part and will arrive today as well...would be a nice mod....any help would be appreciated
Old 3/24/05, 08:50 AM
GT Member

How did you do the brake light conversion? How long does it take?
Old 3/24/05, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Yes please send me details on how to do the push button start installation. I will definitely be doing that. Thanks in advance?
Old 3/24/05, 11:29 AM

What is it about a start button that is so cool? I'm kind of on the fence about them myself. It seems cool, because it is a little different, and maybe it makes the car feel more like a race-car or something. On the other hand, I think after the novelty wears off, I would just end up using the key to start it like normal.

At any rate, nice clean, stock looking install.
Old 3/24/05, 11:59 AM
FR500 Member

That is a great mod. At first I saw the pic and thought it was cheesy, but then read it actually works! That's real sweet.
Old 3/24/05, 12:02 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you have toooooo much time on your hands
Old 3/24/05, 12:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by ScotWithOne_t@March 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
What is it about a start button that is so cool? I'm kind of on the fence about them myself. It seems cool, because it is a little different, and maybe it makes the car feel more like a race-car or something. On the other hand, I think after the novelty wears off, I would just end up using the key to start it like normal.

At any rate, nice clean, stock looking install.
Speaking of novelty that wears off. I installed the "Crazy Horse" horn on my car a couple months ago. It's a seperate horn, controlled by a little button that I mounted under the steering wheel, that when pushed makes the sound of a screaming horse. You know, the sound you hear when a horse gets up on it's back legs, is really mad, and about to take off or something. Well, it was a lot of fun for the first couple weeks but has kinda worn off. But, the horn is great if I drive by a pretty girl (or girls) walking or jogging on the street. Or if I am at a light on the side of a guy who I am about to race and I hit it right before we take off. I agree though that you might use the push button start for a few weeks and then it'll get old. But no matter. It'll always be there when you do need it. And it's something that makes your car unique. I like it.
Old 3/25/05, 09:16 AM
I lust for a M24

Hey guys, I just got into Ohio, 1400 miles on the Stang already. I'll definately post pics and a write up when I get back to my computer where I have the pics.
In short, I tapped into the starter wire under the steering column. It's the thicker darker green wire at the very back of the ignition housing.
I picked up the 12v + from the cigar lighter wire. (blue w/stripe) I also put an additional fuse there - just in case.
I picked up the power for the light in the button underneath the center console. There's a plug that provides power to light up the P-R-D, etc indicator lights for the auto tranny. (blue w/ red stripe) I picked it up there so the light in the push button start will function w/ the dimmer swich for the dash.
I ran the ground to a bolt that mounts the E-brake.
Lastly, I didn't cut any wires, I just stipped the insulation, connected well, and taped.
This has worked very well on my car, I showed my parents the car for the first time, they didn't know it wasn't stock.
This has worked for me, but if something gets screwed up on yours, don't be mad at me.

EDIT: DON'T CUT THE STARTER WIRE... JUST TAP INTO IT AND YOU CAN STILL USE THE KEY TO START THE CAR!!!
Old 3/25/05, 09:29 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by lwing18@March 24, 2005, 10:53 AM
How did you do the brake light conversion? How long does it take?
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...=tail+light+mod

There's a link courtesy of MTAS and HOTLAP, took about 30 mins as I used a can of bumper chrome to spray the plugs and had to wait for the coats to dry. If you spray them, put the bulb in, and mask of everything, including the bulb and the wires, so that you only get paint on the gray parts that hold the bulb in place. Compare to the stock one you're replacing and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: 1 Day, 2 Great Mods!