Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

rant from a die hard hockey fan

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 10:39 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rant from a die hard hockey fan

no one will probably read this because no one really likes hockey. unfortunately its not a "me too" sport where there are casual fans. but why do so many people bash the game? honestly im not the biggest basketball fan but i dont go on ranting about how much it sux because its just not fair to the guys who perform. its a shame that instead of giving it a chance, they see that it isnt well covered on ESPN, they go ahead and say it sucks along with the rest of the people who dont know about the game. it really is a great fast paced sport that, yes has a ton of rules and its sooo fast and tough to follow, but they more you give it a chance, the more interesting and addicting it becomes. im overall a sports guy but my heart is with hockey. and regardless of its popularity here in the US, i am an american by the way, and the countless "how could u be a hockey fan, hockey sux." ill stick by it...but to whoever reads this, if ur not a die hard fan, before u go and bash the game to below the depths of the earth, give it a few chances....be open...thats if u can catch it on TV hahahaha....just give it a chance
Old 7/18/07, 11:39 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I like hockey
Old 7/19/07, 12:33 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not really into sports all that much, but I have been to a hockey game before. It was really exciting!
Old 7/19/07, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm a big hockey fan but I'm Canadian. I like fast sports like basketball too.
Old 7/19/07, 04:17 PM

Huge hockey fan... but putting the games on OLN is a huge mistake. I paid for the hockey package the last two years.... only to have to buy the sports package on *** for one month to catch the last two rounds of the playoffs. F that... I'm not going to waist the money this year.
Old 7/19/07, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Come to Canada, hockey everywhere, and if thats not enough ive got beer!

Seriously though, I know what you mean. It drives me nuts how something like arena football has more people watching it than professional hockey.
Old 10/6/07, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Hockey is a really fast paced and dynamic game. To me I think its the most exciting sport to watch, I still do not know why it is not that popular in the states. It seems in the states the popular sports are slow paced games such as football and baseball.

But I can tell you one thing from playing for 12 years and reffing 8, the girls love the game. Even the ones that never watched a game before in their life, have them watch one where you play in it, ref it, coach etc, and they are all over you. Hockey players are just hot I guess.
Old 10/26/07, 06:39 AM

I have loved this game for as long as I can remember. I still cling to the memories of the Big, Bad Bruins of the 70s. I am a season ticket holder for my now local Tampa Bay Lightning, I play the game at least twice a week and have coached youth hocky both in Massachusetts and Florida.

My only gripe is this: - I'd prefer to see Bettman and company stop trying to attract the "casual" fan. Stop tinkering with a great game and let it be. Accept the fact that the NHL will never be the NFL, MLB or NBA. It's a great sport with an incredibly loyal following. Embrace your current fan base and respect their wishes.
Old 10/26/07, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thezeppelin8
I like hockey
Me too! I do think that, and this is my own opinion but it's probably the best sport to watch in person, live. TV just doesn't do it the game justice.. I was in panic mode when the Pens were thinking about leaving Pittsburgh.
Old 10/26/07, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Remember the lockout and canceled season? I lost a lot of respect for all parties when that happened. I've been a big hockey fan for many years before we had a team in Atlanta.

In my opinion the OLN (Versus) broadcasts are pretty dismal. The OLN broadcast of the Allstar game skills competition last year was especially horrible. I liked it much better on ESPN.

My personal rant is caused by the high ticket prices, the outrageous $10 parking, the inflatable hockey sticks given to every fan at the door (known as thunder sticks), and games that start at 7pm at Philips arena. It's nearly impossible to get to a 7pm game on a weeknight with Atlanta traffic.

Does the NHL arena in your city also have the annoying and corny promotions during commercial timeouts? Such as, "Guess what's on Garnet Exelby's Ipod" game, or the Home Depot's "Price is Right" game.

I enjoy the NHL package on Directv, I recommend it if you are a big fan.
Old 10/26/07, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to 1 hockey game when it was in Kansas City, love the sport. Between the beer and brawls, I was hooked. Then the team moved out of town.
Old 10/27/07, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShowGT
I went to 1 hockey game when it was in Kansas City, love the sport. Between the beer and brawls, I was hooked. Then the team moved out of town.
Don't worry - if things continue to go poorly in Nashville you may have an NHL team before long...
Old 10/27/07, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Remember the lockout and canceled season? I lost a lot of respect for all parties when that happened. I've been a big hockey fan for many years before we had a team in Atlanta.

In my opinion the OLN (Versus) broadcasts are pretty dismal. The OLN broadcast of the Allstar game skills competition last year was especially horrible. I liked it much better on ESPN.

My personal rant is caused by the high ticket prices, the outrageous $10 parking, the inflatable hockey sticks given to every fan at the door (known as thunder sticks), and games that start at 7pm at Philips arena. It's nearly impossible to get to a 7pm game on a weeknight with Atlanta traffic.

Does the NHL arena in your city also have the annoying and corny promotions during commercial timeouts? Such as, "Guess what's on Garnet Exelby's Ipod" game, or the Home Depot's "Price is Right" game.

I enjoy the NHL package on Directv, I recommend it if you are a big fan.
I have the NHL package through my cable provider....I have to be able to see the Bruins play!

I hate those **** thunder sticks and the cheesy games during stoppages too. I miss the good old days where the organ player was your in game entertainment. Not to mention smaller buildings that put you closer to the game. Ticket prices do suck, but because it's a gate driven league I expect to pay more. I don't like it but I accept it and personally I'd rather see hockey live than on TV.

I've been to Phillips arena for a game - it's a great building but you're right, getting to it in Atlanta traffic is a nightmare! In Tampa the weeknight games typically start at 7:30 and on Friday they start them at 8:00.
Old 4/11/08, 09:53 AM

Die hard Flyers fan.
Old 4/11/08, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Another Flyer Fan here...
Originally Posted by snakebite500
Die hard Flyers fan.
Old 4/12/08, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Go Pens!!!!
Old 4/12/08, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Minnesota Wild Fan. Don't have the time to watch all games but still love the sport.
Old 4/12/08, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt

Sure Atlanta fans have their issues to deal with in the way of their situation, on the other hand, how many other teams have a mascot with a flame-thrower in their mouth!! lol

I've loved Hockey for a long time, and I'm not even much of a sports guy at all. It's the only sport that can keep me consistently interested.

Go Ottawa!!
Old 9/28/08, 10:11 AM
GT Member

I am a HUGE Penguins fan. I am actually going to the game on the 16 of Oct. Hockey is the best sport to watch. So much action you really cant walk away. I got my wife hooked on it too. She started watchin playoff games with me and really enjoyed it so i took her to an AHL game. Good times,

G O P E N S ! ! !
Old 9/28/08, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

I love watching hockey! By far the most fun sporting event to see live, and that is what got me hooked on it! With the rule changes this past year or two???... it really increased the amount of scoring. If you're not into hockey, go to a live game, and you will be watching it soon enough on tv!!

Quick Reply: rant from a die hard hockey fan