New OT rule for 2010 Playoffs

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/10, 02:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New OT rule for 2010 Playoffs

NFL owners approve OT changes

Tuesday March 23, 2010 3:18PM
ORLANDO -- In a move that will at least remove the NFL's nightmare scenario of a Super Bowl that's unduly impacted by the flip of a coin, the league's owners on Tuesday surprisingly approved a modified sudden death overtime proposal.
The new rule, which will be in effect for the NFL's postseason only, allows the team that loses the coin flip at the start of overtime to have a possession unless a touchdown is scored -- either offensively or defensively -- on the first possession.
Twenty-eight of the owners voted to approve the proposal, with four voting against it -- Buffalo, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati. Twenty-four votes were needed to approve the proposal.
The league's coaches were said to be overwhelmingly against the measure, but the owners were swayed by the weight of statistics showing that 59.8 percent of the games since 1994 -- when kickoffs were moved back to the 30-yard line -- were won by the team winning the overtime coin toss.

Old 3/23/10, 02:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
NFL owners approve OT changes

Tuesday March 23, 2010 3:18PM
ORLANDO -- In a move that will at least remove the NFL's nightmare scenario of a Super Bowl that's unduly impacted by the flip of a coin, the league's owners on Tuesday surprisingly approved a modified sudden death overtime proposal.
The new rule, which will be in effect for the NFL's postseason only, allows the team that loses the coin flip at the start of overtime to have a possession unless a touchdown is scored -- either offensively or defensively -- on the first possession.
Twenty-eight of the owners voted to approve the proposal, with four voting against it -- Buffalo, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati. Twenty-four votes were needed to approve the proposal.
The league's coaches were said to be overwhelmingly against the measure, but the owners were swayed by the weight of statistics showing that 59.8 percent of the games since 1994 -- when kickoffs were moved back to the 30-yard line -- were won by the team winning the overtime coin toss.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting on this for so looooooong!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on to campaigning against the bowl system in college football...
Old 3/23/10, 05:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 3/23/10, 05:35 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Meh. I didn't have a problem with the old rule. Win it in regulation. I don't like new rules or rule changes.

I fear change. Somehow this will have a negative too. Something we haven't thought of yet. Some kind of scenario. Then they'll be tinkering with it to fix their change. It's a fairly old rule and its never bothered me. And I am not some part time fan. I know my football.
Old 3/23/10, 10:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
A whopping 10 percent. So this will even it out, eh? Right...

College football, soccer, and hockey have the better systems. Although I don't know how you'd do a shootout in football... Perhaps force the *last playing in the game* QB, the Center, a Defensive tackle, and a WR or CB, your pick, take the shots in addition to the kicker... from the 30... to make FGs. I'd pay to see that.

/no subs, yo. Real deals have to do it. Manning boots a 47 yarder FTW? Cool.
//And I'm with ya, Jason, it's the reason I don't support College Football in any way, shape, or form, because it's an arbitrary championship.
///March Madness is best.

Last edited by houtex; 3/23/10 at 10:41 PM.