Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

I'm no Auburn Fan but.......

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 05:25 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I firmly believe they got robbed by the BCS.........

They went 0 losses- so they should have been able to go to the National Championship....

Auburn's dream season collides with BCS reality
12/5/2004, 4:57 p.m. CT
By JOHN ZENOR
The Associated Press

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — The Auburn Tigers finally lost one.

The third-ranked Tigers will face No. 9 Virginia Tech on Jan. 3 in the Sugar Bowl, a matchup of conference champions that greatly exceeded expectations.

It's still not how they wanted to punctuate a historic season. Auburn logged its first 12-win season and broke a 15-year Southeastern Conference title drought with a 38-28 win over Tennessee Saturday night.

All that was enough to land the Tigers their first Bowl Championship Series berth but not to waylay a Southern California versus Oklahoma matchup for the national title in the Orange Bowl.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said the Tigers were "thrilled to be playing in the Sugar Bowl" while acknowledging the disappointment of being the third wheel in the title chase.

"We are excited to be representing the Southeastern Conference as its champion," Tuberville said. "We are looking forward to celebrating a great season with our fans in an outstanding bowl environment in New Orleans."

No. 9 Virginia Tech (9-2) picked a nice way to cap its first Atlantic Coast Conference season, clinching the title with a 16-10 victory over Miami on Saturday.

Like Auburn, the Hokies weren't picked by many to win their league title but won their final eight games in an impressive surge.

"We're a very proud group today to represent the ACC, and we earned our way there," Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said.

The Hokies are revisiting the scene of their own flirtation with a national title in 2000. They were ranked No. 2 when they lost 46-29 to No. 1 Florida State in New Orleans.

Auburn, meanwhile, hasn't played in the game since its last previous SEC title in 1989, the third of three Sugar Bowl trips under coach Pat Dye.

The Tigers had to steadily climb up the rankings after starting out 17th.
Old 12/6/04, 05:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I agree. :yes: . . or to put it in Scothew's words . . . " " . .
Old 12/6/04, 05:46 AM
GT Member

I AGREE TOTALLY...AU I believe as others on ESPN have said were/ and are if not the best then the 2nd best team in the land with a VERY balanced team.. and should be in the National Championship game.... if nothing else if there are still 2 undefeated teams after Jan 4- have 1 more game
Old 12/6/04, 07:05 AM
I'm people, and I like.

i believe Auburn was a better team then Oklahoma... but, who really got robbed was Cal! they were ranked 4th and still dont get to play in the Rose Bowl!!! they dont even play in one of the major bowls, for pete sake

Cal angry, frustrated after Texas takes Rose Bowl spot

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
December 5, 2004
BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) -- California refused to run up the score or beg for poll votes.

Maybe the Bears should have.

Cal (10-1) was left out of the Bowl Championship Series, denied one of the eight spots in college football's big-money games despite a season of statistical superlatives and dominating victories.

The fourth-ranked Golden Bears will be stuck at the Holiday Bowl while Texas plays in the Rose Bowl.

Cal's Rose Bowl drought reached 46 years despite one of the best regular seasons in school history.

The Bears felt beaten as they left their team meeting. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers saw confusion and disappointment in his teammates when they found out their Rose Bowl dreams were replaced with a trip to San Diego to face Texas Tech.

``It just shows it's a faulty system, and we've got to do something to change it up,'' Rodgers said. ``I bet Auburn is pretty ticked, too. ... Nobody cares about West Coast football, I don't think. I just hope Southern Cal represents us well.''

Texas (10-1) surged past the Bears in the final BCS standings despite Cal's 26-16 road victory over Southern Mississippi on Saturday night. The Longhorns gained points in both polls, and the computer rankings kept Texas well in front of Cal. The Longhorns will face Michigan (9-2) on Jan. 1.

There were dozens of factors in the decision, but the Bears felt they were superior in almost every venue -- except the political arena. Rodgers figured Texas coach Mack Brown's pleading for poll support made a difference, and he was glad Cal coach Jeff Tedford never did likewise.

``I thought it was a little classless how Coach Brown was begging for votes after the (Texas A&M) game,'' Rodgers said. ``I think a team's record and the way you play should speak for itself, and you shouldn't have to complain about the BCS system. Coach Tedford isn't going to, although he's frustrated just like we are. I think we're a bigger team, classier than that.''

Tedford was less emotional than Rodgers, but no less disappointed as he evaluated the Bears' long list of accomplishments.

The only blemish on their record was a six-point loss at top-ranked USC. They beat 10 teams by an average of 23.9 points per game. They were the only school in the nation's top six both in scoring offense and scoring defense.

The Rose Bowl has matched a Big 10 team against a Pac-10 school for decades, and with the Pac-10 champion Trojans headed to the Orange Bowl, Cal hoped to end the conference's longest Rose Bowl drought. Instead, there will be burnt orange in the Pasadena stands.

``I just feel terrible for the alumni and the fans who have waited so long for this,'' Tedford said. ``As a program, we were set on the Rose Bowl. I felt like we did enough to earn that.''

Most of the Bears still were jet-lagged and exhausted after grinding out a victory in Hattiesburg just 18 hours earlier in a game postponed from Sept. 16 by Hurricane Ivan. The late-season road trip provided a national television audience -- but when the Golden Eagles were difficult to put away, it might have swayed some voters away.

And that was baffling to Tedford, who refused to try to score one last touchdown in the waning seconds to pad the score. The Bears also were hurt by a questionable clipping call in the closing minutes, which negated a touchdown run by J.J. Arrington.

Normally, Tedford wouldn't spare a second's thought on such issues -- but in the BCS world, it might have made a difference.

``If yesterday's game was the game that turned anybody's head, then that's sad, because it's about a season,'' Tedford said. ``We're going to keep our same philosophy. It's hard enough just to win games.''
Old 12/6/04, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Something similar. I from Austin, and I don't think what Mack Brown did (lobbying for votes) was appropriate and I dont think Texas should be in the Rose Bowl :stubborn:
Old 12/6/04, 09:14 AM

I usuallly don't post but since it had to due with the greastest school in VA I had to.

I agree Auburn got the shaft, the BCS is bad, really bad acutally, plus USC shouldn't be number 1 IMHO, too many close games with unranked teams, VT and Standford to name a few.

But it should be a good game, hopefully.
Old 12/6/04, 09:28 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Lord Chabelo@December 6, 2004, 8:52 AM
Something similar. I from Austin, and I don't think what Mack Brown did (lobbying for votes) was appropriate and I dont think Texas should be in the Rose Bowl :stubborn:
agreed
Old 12/6/04, 11:15 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by vtdude@December 6, 2004, 9:17 AM
USC shouldn't be number 1
do not agree.

USC will demolish Oklahoma easily. they will represent west coast football nicely

It should have been USC Vs. Auburn imo
Old 12/6/04, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

Auburn got hosed, but what the BCS did to Cal is even worse. I can't even imagine a Rose Bowl that doesn't feature a Big 10-Pac 10 matchup. Texas? Come on.

Scrap the BCS, let the conference champs play in their traditional bowl games, let the lesser get teams get at large bowl invitations, and go back to voting for the national champion. It wasn't a perfect system, but it beat this BCS fiasco we've got now.
Old 12/7/04, 09:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What they should do is use the bowl games as a playoff system, using the Major Bowl games when they get to the final 5 teams.
Here's my scenario -

Week One - Top 10 teams - 5 games - Bowl games - Peach, Gator, Outback, Cotton & Capital one

Week Two - 5 Teams - Week One 5 winners w/highest ranked team getting a bye - 2 games - Bowl games - Rose & Fiesta

Week Three - 3 Teams - Week Two 2 winners w/lowest ranked team vs Week Two bye team - 1 game - Bowl game - Sugar

Week Four - 2 Teams - National Title Game - Bowl game - Orange

All they'd have to do is rotate the 4 Major bowl games, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar & Orange, each year
Old 12/7/04, 01:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MachMe@December 7, 2004, 10:59 AM
What they should do is use the bowl games as a playoff system, using the Major Bowl games when they get to the final 5 teams.
Here's my scenario -

Week One - Top 10 teams - 5 games - Bowl games - Peach, Gator, Outback, Cotton & Capital one

Week Two - 5 Teams - Week One 5 winners w/highest ranked team getting a bye - 2 games - Bowl games - Rose & Fiesta

Week Three - 3 Teams - Week Two 2 winners w/lowest ranked team vs Week Two bye team - 1 game - Bowl game - Sugar

Week Four - 2 Teams - National Title Game - Bowl game - Orange

All they'd have to do is rotate the 4 Major bowl games, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar & Orange, each year
Umm, think it might be easier starting with 8 teams, then you would go 8-4-2-1. I completely agree, college football needs a playoff. It would bring in a lot of money too, look at the college basketball tournament.
Old 12/7/04, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am a booomer soooner. an the bcs needs a lot of work.
why cant they add 2 games.
1.st game #1 vs #3
2.nd game #2 vs #4
3.winers of 1st an 2nd game play for title.

that is a lot better than what auburn got. an how did texas win the rose bowl??

thats my 02 from the sooner nation
Old 12/8/04, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Auburn got screwed. They probably had the toughest schedule in the league.

TX should be in the bowl, and so should Cal. I'm from Austin,TX so I lean toward the TX side. If strength of schedule was factored in we wouldn't even be discussing this, because Cal and USC didn't even play anyone worth anything this year except eachother. Where OU (as much as I hate them) and TX had to play several ranked teams.

The joke bowl is Utah vs Pittsburgh. I'm sure that is going to be great.

Personally to fix the situation I don't think we should have preseason polls. Then if you have three undefeated teams number 2 and 3 should play eachother to play one. I don't have a problem with conference champions getting a guaranteed spot, but a stipulation is they should be ranked in the top 10. If they are not their spot goes to the next at large.