Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Any Boxing Fans out there?

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/05, 09:15 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wondering if there are any fans of boxing out there.

The heavyweight division is terrible, no doubt about it

I am looking forward to Arturo Gatti vs. Floyd Mayweather. The Gatti-Ward trilogy was the best boxing in a long time.
Old 5/13/05, 10:37 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the heavyweight division is a disaster. I never really liked watching it anyways (although watching Tyson when he was in his prime was intriguing.)
I find the smaller fighters a lot more entertaining.

My favorite fighter of all time: Julio Cesar Chavez
Chávez holds a record of 106 wins, five losses and 2 draws, with 80 knockouts. One of the best fighters of the 20th century, Chávez holds the record of most successful defenses of a world title (27), most title fights (37), and the second best winning streak (89-0) of an undefeated fighter.
Old 5/13/05, 04:09 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
. . . Where would boxing be without Don King?!

It's been a while since I've got excited about a good fight. Back in '89-90's I followed Holyfield as he worked his way up to Heavyweight. I used to be a big fan of his.
Old 5/13/05, 04:24 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Don King is hilarious and irritating at the same time.
Chavez and King had a pretty rough relationship. who hasnt had a rough relationship with King :P
Old 5/14/05, 11:23 AM
FR500 Member

my favorite is mike tyson...I EET YO CHILDWEN! lol
Old 5/21/05, 11:35 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Don King ruined boxing, especially the heavyweight division.

Look at the lumps of lard fighting for heavyweight titles, John Ruiz, Andrew Golata, Chris Byrd. These guys shouldn't be contenders.

Tyson in his early days was amazing, because he smelled blood right away. Too bad the guy is a walking train wreck.
Old 6/11/05, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@May 21, 2005, 11:38 PM

Tyson in his early days was amazing, because he smelled blood right away. Too bad the guy is a walking train wreck.
That picture tonight of him sitting on the canvas with his head between the ropes made me think of a train wreck with Tyson in front of the locomotive.
Old 6/12/05, 01:40 PM
I Have Admin Envy

He got beaten by a nobody, his career is all but over. He is a walking disaster.

I really don't think he will be able to function without boxing. I doubt he will be able to stay out of prision or be alive in the next 5 years.
Old 6/12/05, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Unfortunately for him I think you're right. He's a tragic figure of a human being. Oh well.
Old 6/27/05, 08:40 AM

Hi,

I managed to catch some of the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Arturo Gatti, WOW,
Mayweather is good and i think the fight between him and Ricky Hatton if it happens will be AWESOME!!

Regards,

Angus.
Old 6/29/05, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nah, Floyd is peaking at the right point in his career.

Remember Ricky Hatton didn't beat Tzsyu, he just clinched enough to wear him out. Kostya was one tired cat, and didn't lose on a skill level, but a physical level.

Floyd is a dancer, and would keep Ricky at the end of his punches all night.

But I'd still watch it. Hey Angus, I've been wondering......why do they call Ricky Hatton "Blue Moon"?

He puts you to sleep?....with power not boredom of course.
Old 6/29/05, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love boxing.....but that's just it. I like boxing......heavyweights don't really box. They throw a punch and then hug and kiss, till the ref breaks them apart.
I don't bother with heavyweights, I only keep up with 200 and below.

It's sad when people relate Tyson or any other heavyweight with boxing.

There is sooo much talent in that 126-175 pound range its crazy. This year has been a true treat in the year of boxing, and most people probably ONLY saw the Tyson fight......sad.

Any predictions for Hopkins - Taylor???
Old 6/29/05, 08:20 AM

Matt,
Hi,

from what i've heard and read, does'nt Mayweather want to move up to the Welterweight division and fight Zab Judah?,
if he stays where he is he's got the choice of Hatton or Maussa,
as for Taylor v Hopkins, although Taylor is younger, i think experience is going to count for Hopkins, could be totally wrong so don't bet any money on what i say!!
i've also not been really interested in the heavyweight class since the days of Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay, Patterson and our very own Henry Cooper!!
( and that really shows my age !! )

Regards,

Angus.

Old 6/30/05, 02:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Even still, why do they call Ricky Hatton "Blue Moon"?

I figured you'd know since he's more popular over there.

During the Tzsyu and Hatton fight, the announcers told what food the fighters ate before the fight, and every other useless detail, but they wouldn't explain "Blue Moon."
Old 6/30/05, 06:58 AM

Matt,
Hi,

I'd heard a couple of reasons why the fans sing "Blue Moon" when Ricky walks to the ring, but, apparently he's a big fan of Man City Football club, and that's their theme tune, you know, what the fans sing to get the team motivated and playing better, he liked it so much that he sort of adopted it and the fans sing the jazzed up version!
There's 2 football teams in Manchester, there's Man City and there's Man Utd.(the team that everyone's heard about)

Regards,

Angus.

Old 6/30/05, 07:30 AM
GT Member

I love boxing. Does anyone remember Prince Haseem. He was just nuts. So full of himself. I watched the Tyson fight. I was very disappointed. Thought he was would have finnished the fight. My favorite fighters are Vlad and Vatetlli. Nice to look at and fun to watch. They are really good guys. Mayweather is great. Looking forward to that fight. My girl friends don't understand why I love boxing. I am very feminine. You know the kind of women who loves flowers and frilly dresses. I love Boxing and Nascar, but have to say boxing is my favorite sport. I watch all the fights on HBO and Show Time.
Old 6/30/05, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 94REDGT@June 30, 2005, 7:01 AM
Matt,
Hi,

I'd heard a couple of reasons why the fans sing "Blue Moon" when Ricky walks to the ring, but, apparently he's a big fan of Man City Football club, and that's their theme tune, you know, what the fans sing to get the team motivated and playing better, he liked it so much that he sort of adopted it and the fans sing the jazzed up version!
There's 2 football teams in Manchester, there's Man City and there's Man Utd.(the team that everyone's heard about)

Regards,

Angus.

Thanks, it makes sense now.

Because he came out in Blue shorts, with the blue moon background and song. It was getting on my nerves...haha...Thanks.
Old 6/30/05, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ALLMINE65@June 30, 2005, 7:33 AM
I love boxing. Does anyone remember Prince Haseem. He was just nuts. So full of himself. I watched the Tyson fight. I was very disappointed. Thought he was would have finnished the fight. My favorite fighters are Vlad and Vatetlli. Nice to look at and fun to watch. They are really good guys. Mayweather is great. Looking forward to that fight. My girl friends don't understand why I love boxing. I am very feminine. You know the kind of women who loves flowers and frilly dresses. I love Boxing and Nascar, but have to say boxing is my favorite sport. I watch all the fights on HBO and Show Time.
Yea Prince Naseem Hamed.

What a character, I'm sooooo glad Marco Antonio Barrera destroyed him and his career.

Any dream match-ups y'all wanna see?

Maybe: Barrera vs Marquez or Morales vs Marquez for me. Of course I wouldn't argue a Tito vs de la Hoya II.
Old 6/30/05, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Lenix Lewis and Vladamir, I think the fought before and Vlad lost. I think it was about a year ago, before his last win.
Old 7/3/05, 03:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nah, that was Vitali and Lennox.

Vitali was giving Lennox fits, until his eye was such a mess the ref stopped the fight. I believe Vitali was winning on the cards too.

If Lennox is smart......he'll stay retired.

Quick Reply: Any Boxing Fans out there?