Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Very interesting artical on FORD GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/05, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an interesting article I found on Blue Oval News. Maybe this has been talked about already. CrazyHorse, maybe you're right. After a year, the Shelby will be at MSRP. Time to get excited again.
http://www.fordgtprices.com/pages/9/index.htm
Old 8/27/05, 06:21 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I predicted over a year ago that Ford would have trouble selling 3,000+ GTs. The market for exotic cars is just not that big. Look at the sales $s for Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, etc., the #s are really small. Once you get over $150K, the market is tiny.

I still say, if Ford really does build 3,000+ GTs, at the end of the production run you will be able to pick one up for substantially less than MSRP.

As far as the GT500 goes, its a different story as the market for $40K cars is much, much larger. It will take a couple years for the market to saturate, but it will, just as people paid $5K sticker for Mach 1s in early 2003. By the end of 2004 you could get Mach 1s for invoice less a $2K reabate.
Old 8/27/05, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

Considering it has been a year and the regluar models are still $5k over MSRP (at least in my area), I can't see the Shelby being any different -- especially with the small numbers expected to be produced and the collectors going nuts over the Shelby name.
Old 8/28/05, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

there aren't anywhere near as many Shelby customers as there are Mustang GT customers. The car is out of a lot of people league powerwise and costwise. It will catch up.
Old 8/28/05, 01:16 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The demand for the GT will eventually die down. I admit that I was wrong about how long it would take. Last September I figured that by now we would see them going for less than MSRP.

It will just take a little longer. There is a finite pool of people wanting a Mustang GT. Once supply finally meets demand, prices will drop.

As far as the Shelby GT500, I wouldn't expect prices to be below MSRP until a couple of years after introduction.

JMO
Old 8/28/05, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 28, 2005, 10:32 AM
there aren't anywhere near as many Shelby customers as there are Mustang GT customers. The car is out of a lot of people league powerwise and costwise. It will catch up.
And they aren't going to make nearly as many GT500's as GT's. It is a supply and demand issue. So far, demand has far outpaced supply and I don't see that changing for the GT500. That is all I was saying.
Old 8/28/05, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Rampant@August 28, 2005, 6:50 PM
And they aren't going to make nearly as many GT500's as GT's. It is a supply and demand issue. So far, demand has far outpaced supply and I don't see that changing for the GT500. That is all I was saying.
I don't disagree entirely. I may even be underestimating the demand. But, when it comes down to it, I don't think a lot of these enthusiast will actually buy.
Old 8/28/05, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 28, 2005, 7:25 PM
I don't disagree entirely. I may even be underestimating the demand. But, when it comes down to it, I don't think a lot of these enthusiast will actually buy.
I have to agree with Rampant. With the Shelby name on it, they'll crawling out of the woodwork and with the limited supply, it'll be hard to get one for awhile. Don't count on the demand dying down any time soon.
Old 8/29/05, 08:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think there is a big difference between interest and demand. There is a lot of interest, just how much of it will turn into demand?

The problem with the GTs is that they couldn't make them fast enough due to manufacturing limitations. When you are talking about only 7500 cars per year, the factory will be able to keep up with that. After the collector types and the "boy that reminds me of when I was a teenager in the '60s" types get the first 3 or 4 thousand, then the rest will sit a while on the lots until the markups are gone.
Old 8/29/05, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 29, 2005, 9:36 AM
I think there is a big difference between interest and demand. There is a lot of interest, just how much of it will turn into demand?

The problem with the GTs is that they couldn't make them fast enough due to manufacturing limitations. When you are talking about only 7500 cars per year, the factory will be able to keep up with that. After the collector types and the "boy that reminds me of when I was a teenager in the '60s" types get the first 3 or 4 thousand, then the rest will sit a while on the lots until the markups are gone.
That's what everyone said about the '05 Mustang GTs yet here we are in the '06 MY and there are still mark-ups over MSRP. I firmly believe there will be considerably more interest in the GT500 than there was with previous Cobras. The Shelby name will insure that every single one of the 7500 '07 GT500s will be snatched up very quickly and there will be preorders on the '08s, thus ensuring there will be "market-adjustments" through '08.
Old 8/29/05, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok....I'll wait 18 mos. and get a Ford Gt with no bugs for X plan..... when gas is $4 a gallon they'll start rebates!
Old 8/29/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@August 28, 2005, 10:32 AM
Just as Crazyhorse said, there are lot of people interested in the Shelby but th pool of those who can actually afford one is much smaller. Whether you pay a premimum or not depends solely on the dealer, most will sell with a mark-up but there are a few who will sell at MSRP. I'll pay MSRP even if it means waiting but I'm not paying a premium for any car, even a Shelby. Just my $.02
Old 8/29/05, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@August 29, 2005, 12:11 PM
Just as Crazyhorse said, there are lot of people interested in the Shelby but th pool of those who can actually afford one is much smaller. Whether you pay a premimum or not depends solely on the dealer, most will sell with a mark-up but there are a few who will sell at MSRP. I'll pay MSRP even if it means waiting but I'm not paying a premium for any car, even a Shelby. Just my $.02
How much do you want to bet that the pool of those that can afford one is greater than 7,500?
Old 8/29/05, 05:41 PM
GT Member

I agree with the above. The demand simply because its going to be a Shelby, is going to be crazy silly. You are going to have people wanting a Shelby, who at the same time are gonna ask you stupid Doo Doo (i actually wrote that, just saving the filters time)......So who was this Shelby girl anyways......
Mark my words.
Old 8/29/05, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok so who has a pic of that $13,000 Gulf Blue color, Orange stripe option? Is that supposed to mimick the original GT40 LeMans colors?

Shelby is my gf, and I'm supposed to buy her a GT500 cause it matches her.
Old 8/29/05, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@August 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
How much do you want to bet that the pool of those that can afford one is greater than 7,500?

My guess is that it's one BIG pool!!! Maybe the size of the Pacific?
Old 8/29/05, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@August 29, 2005, 9:40 PM
My guess is that it's one BIG pool!!! Maybe the size of the Pacific?
Well, I'm glad to see you've finally come to your senses and agree that there's a large number of people who'll wanting and able to buy a GT500.

BTW, I think it's funny that you rag on me for using the word "pool" when you used it before I did.
Old 8/30/05, 07:10 AM
GT Member

Also keep in mind there is a good amount of Camaro owners who are also looking at the GT500 since GM has no muscle car in this segment. You'll have more crossover people in the market for this car as well.
Old 9/2/05, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@August 29, 2005, 8:49 PM
Well, I'm glad to see you've finally come to your senses and agree that there's a large number of people who'll wanting and able to buy a GT500.

BTW, I think it's funny that you rag on me for using the word "pool" when you used it before I did.

I wasn't trying to disrepect you or rag on you, how do you get that? :scratch: I was agreeing that "interested universe" was going to be large

And how did I come to my senses? I've been saying the same thing all along. There will be alot of interest in the GT500 but that doesn't necessarily translate into actual sales. There will be alot of pretenders who say they want the car but can't afford one or the insurance (or if gas prices stay at their current level, the fuel).

Certainly, if anyone wants to be the first to own one, they will likely pay a premium. However, being patient and allowing the initial fever to subside will reduce or eliminate ridiculous dealer mark-ups.
Old 9/2/05, 10:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@September 2, 2005, 10:13 PM
I wasn't trying to disrepect you or rag on you, how do you get that? :scratch: I was agreeing that "interested universe" was going to be large

And how did I come to my senses? I've been saying the same thing all along. There will be alot of interest in the GT500 but that doesn't necessarily translate into actual sales. There will be alot of pretenders who say they want the car but can't afford one or the insurance (or if gas prices stay at their current level, the fuel).

Certainly, if anyone wants to be the first to own one, they will likely pay a premium. However, being patient and allowing the initial fever to subside will reduce or eliminate ridiculous dealer mark-ups.
Please note the at the end of my post. My whole post was meant in jest. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought we were making some humorous jabs at each other (all in fun, of course ).

BTW, I firmly believe that the enormous interest in the GT500 will translate into enormous sales. I predict with certainty that it will be very difficult to get one the first year and quite possibly well into the second.

Quick Reply: Very interesting artical on FORD GT