Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Up Close with the MRT Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/05, 09:20 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
UP CLOSE WITH THE MRT INTERCEPTOR
Members Amy V6 and Twilightblu92 Check Out the MRT SEMA Show Car
The Mustang Source Exclusive Review
By Tony Alonso
The MRT Interceptor was introduced at the 2004 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, NV, last November 2004. This vehicle, a customized version of the 2005 Ford Mustang, was unique among its peers in that it was designed by Mustang enthusiasts and then realized in final form by Mustang Racing Technologies (MRT). MRT, based in Northville, MI, supplies aftermarket Mustang performance and appearance parts for 1994-2004 models. With the Interceptor, MRT is rapidly building its catalog of offerings for the latest pony car.

In keeping with a customer-focused outlook, Scott Hoag, MRT’s president, invited two members of The Mustang Source website forums to closely inspect this SEMA show car. Amy Johnson (Amy V6) and Joe Richardson (twilightblu92) were the first enthusiasts in 2005 to have the chance ride in and photograph the Interceptor. Being a car designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, it was only natural to have the critical eyes of potential MRT customers review the car. I am a TMS forum participant and one of the Interceptor design team members, so I accompanied Joe and Amy to their session on Saturday, April 16, 2005.

Here are Amy and Joe’s impressions of the MRT Interceptor -

EXTERIOR STYLING
Both individuals spent over two hours doing a walk-around of the car at MRT’s recently opened new facility. Joe commented “From first glance the car really appealed to me. The black and blue color scheme gives the car a ‘Don't even think about it’ look. What adds to this look is how the car is lowered and the subtle body cosmetics it has, which makes it even more aggressive.” The unique rear spoiler, done in conjunction with Classic Design Concepts (CDC), caught Amy’s attention. They “did a good job with the ducktail…it just fit perfectly”, she noted.

Amy and Joe also had time to absorb the experience of the CDC Glassback roof feature, which pictures have a hard time representing. Amy said after seat time in the car, “I was most impressed with the glass roof by CDC. When looking at the SEMA cars that had it on them, you could not tell how see-thru it actually is. Driving in a car that has it is a whole new experience. Great for the ladies and metrosexual males - you get the sun without the hair damaging breeze!” Amy definitely has a way with words.

Joe echoed a similar reaction and found the modification did not adversely compromise the structure of the new car. “One of the coolest features to me was the glass roof with the integrated LED third brake light. No need for a convertible here. With cutting the roof out, there's usually concern about weakening the frame. As far I could see that was a non-issue. No squeaking, chattering or rattling was heard…very solid feeling.”

The Interceptor rear styling is strongly influenced by the classic rear window louvers. “The louvers fit the car really well”, said Amy. “A lot of people have this love/hate thing with them, but on here, it just seemed to work.”

INTERIOR
The Interceptor’s interior was rendered in the same “bad to the bone” color scheme as the all-black exterior with blue-colored stainless steel brakes. Joe pointed out that “again, the black and blue theme in the interior looks just as good as the exterior. I like how they did a simple door treatment, changing the material and color of the inset door panel.” Amy noticed the subtle coloring of the stock dash panels gauge pods and HVAC registers. “All of the aluminum around the gauges was black chrome...I really liked how that looked. Scott did say it was a lil bit of a pain in the hiney to get the color right when doing black chrome.” Indeed it is but it adds a touch of elegance to the color scheme. She correctly surmised “It's more guess work on it, to get the right combo and once they have the correct combo, they must have all the items out that they want to be black chromed, so it all matches. Sort of like when you buy wallpaper…they have to come from the same dye lot, or the color might be off from each one.”

The Interceptor features a custom gauge pod to complement the stock Ford interior upgrade package cluster. In a nod to current entertainment technology, an integrated stereo/DVD player was fitted into the existing dash area, complemented by a powerful and clear speaker system. Joe observes - “The gauge pod is also a nice feature, where as it sits neatly in the center of the dash instead of attached to the A-Pillar, which can sometimes look a little cluttered. The flip up DVD/MP3/CD player was a neatly done addition as it flipped up into a recess in the dash as opposed to sticking out like other head units. The speaker system consisted of a front components (which had the tweeters hidden in the A-Pillars...nice), rear coaxials, two Rockford Fosgate Amps and a 12-inch Punch Audio sub in the trunk.” A demo of both classic rock music videos and modern rap provided aural entertainment in the MRT shop that was only rivaled by sounds from the MRT exclusive axleback exhaust system. Both Joe and Amy had the chance to listen to and feel them during their rides around town and on the freeways near Northville.

ON THE ROAD
Some of the MRT Interceptor’s road handling changes were implemented using different springs, an adjustable Panhard rod, and an 18” Ronal wheel/street performance tire package. The exhaust system was changed enhance the sound quality and take advantage of the stock Ford 2 ½” pipes. Joe and Amy were able to ride in the car on the streets and highways to evaluate the livability of this tuning. Joe related, “You would think from lowering the car and the low profile tires it would ride a bit rough. Not at all. It rides very well--way better then my Fox (Mustang) and a little better than my Probe -- takes corners pretty flat and feels very solid. This also plays a part in how well this car seems to be built and thought out… In this car the all-around 4-pt racing seats are very nice. They are comfortable, hold you in and even smell nice.”

“I thought the Interceptor rode darn smooth for being a hugely modified car,” noted Amy. “It seemed like a smoother ride than my unmodded 01 V6… The sound was perfect. It was a low-pitched, menacing growl rather than a *****-out "here I am" scream. Sometimes the growl of a beast is more intimidating than the bite.” With over 400 hp from the Paxton supercharger system, the Interceptor’s drivability reflects Scott’s approach to total systems engineering for all of MRT’s aftermarket performance parts. One ride in this car convinced me that I need to have one!

FINAL THOUGHTS
Scott Hoag was eager and enthusiastic to show off MRT’s latest effort and get feedback from potential customers FIRST. Amy and Joe “scooped” ‘Car and Driver’ magazine editors, who recently had the vehicle out for instrumented testing and commentary. Scott appreciates the input from enthusiasts, and it does have an impact on what comes to market. Amy and Joe did make suggestions regarding some of the styling elements, and they were thoughtfully acknowledged and considered for future changes. MRT has the difficult task of balancing form, function, cost, and quality, but all elements are definitely considered. As a member of the design team, I have seen how Scott’s philosophies and approach are in play with the work that was performed on this vehicle.

Enjoy the outstanding photographs and videos taken by these TMS members for their reports. As Joe concluded, “…Would I buy one? Ohhhh yes...in a heartbeat. The looks and stares that you get when you roll beside or in front of someone makes it all the better. People break their necks to see what that black beauty is all about. I think Scott and MRT did a wonderful job and can only imagine what they have up next...I'm sure I'll love it.”

INTERCEPTOR Q&A WITH SCOTT HOAG, MRT

These questions originated from the Mustang enthusiast community –

What was the most difficult thing you encountered while creating the MRT
Interceptor?
A: Managing the amount of modifications relative to the time available to
make them. We had approximately 4 weeks to transform this car, most every
part being custom engineered and fabricated.

Is MRT going to offer the ability to get the parts in factory colors?
A: In some cases, yes. Color matching is a very sensitive process.....even
factory colors change slightly over time.

How well do you expect the 3 valve power plant to hold up in a
supercharged/turbocharged applications?
A: The science here is to have a well tuned calibration that keeps the
engine in the "reasonable" power range. This will provide the best
experience and longevity to the customer. I expect that the tune we
developed for the Interceptor to be a long safe tune.

What is the scoop with the new 2 piece pistons? I thought the rumor was
they would be less reliable than the previous engine slugs?
A: I do not have any expertise on this subject. Sorry.

Why'd they paint lightning bolts all over it?
A: It matches the essence we want to convey with this car

What was the design concept?
A: This car’s theme is best captured as “road warrior” or “bad-to-the-bone”.

Was there a particular car you designed it after?
A: This is an original "MRT Interceptor".

How tunable is the car? I hear rumors that it has to be flashed after
any major mods.
A: True - calibration changes are required in order to enjoy any major
performance modification.

Is MRT running a stock computer, a chip or a custom tuning software?
A: We used a Diablo Predator to flash the computer with our own calibration.

Will the aftermarket parts consist of only body mods or will there be
suspension/brake and performance mods offered as well?
A: We have a full package to pick from:
- Exhaust (headers, axle back exhaust, High-flow cat section, Tips)
- Chassis (adjustable rear upper and lower control arms, adjustable panhard
bar, stabilizer bars, frame stiffeners, shocks, struts, springs etc.)
- Brakes, stainless steel brakes (front/rear calipers and rotors...these
things really work!)
- Cold air induction systems
- Supercharger packages
- Fuel Rails (in many cases eliminates the need to change the fuel pumps
for higher performance applications)

More fun parts are on the way, check us out at MRT-Direct.com.

Did you use any of the cars from "Mad Max" as inspiration?
A: We took the color and general stance from Mad Max.

Has it ever gone down the 1/4 mile?
A: Yes, we ran approx 13:20 at 108 on street tires (spun through first and second).

What kind of RWHP - any proof besides a dyno sheet?
A: Other than a dyno sheet, what other proof would you like?

What did it make on the dyno?
A: Our calibration strategy is to develop a drivable street tune for the
05...we are not chasing an ultimate Horse Power number. We focus on safe
power and as much torque as we can get in the driving range. Remember you
"talk about horsepower" but you "drive Torque every day, every way" This is
the key to a fun-to-drive performance tune. MRT is one of the few Companies
that fully understands this principle with regard to street performance
tunes. Also keep in mind that it is very, very easy to make enough power to
destroy your engine. This fact is unfortunately proven every day!
We tuned the car to make approximately 400 HP and 370 ft-lb of torque.
(calculated crank shaft power numbers)

What else is done to it other than the blower?
A: Fuel delivery, Calibration

Is MRT going to sell turn key cars?
A: MRT will prepare your car to whatever extent you want it prepared. We
have done as little as wheels/tires and as much as full suspension/power
train....You choose the desired outcome, we deliver it.

Old 6/26/05, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braggin rights..

I was the first person outside of team MRT to ride in it and the first person to ride in the backseat

Thanks to Tony and Joe And thanks to Scott and Lisa and everyone at MRT. Hope I didn't embarrass you guys too much at the karaoke bar

Where's the rest of the pics and vids?

I can post some of them tomorrow... The vids MUST go up
Old 6/26/05, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ehh, give me a place to host them and I'll put the rest I have up. I can't ge MCO.com to upload them.
Old 6/27/05, 05:05 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Very Cool! Thanks Scott, Amy, Joe, and Tony for the write-up, pictures, and interview!
Old 6/27/05, 05:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
excellent write up! good pics too....
Old 6/27/05, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

I'll be uploading some vids that I took that day. You'll get a feeling of what it is like to ride inside the Interceptor.

If anyone could donate some web space for the vids... that'll be great.. as I am probably killing my friends bandwidth and his site isn't letting me donate anything.

*Warning* there maybe some swearing. In a past life I think I was a trucker and when I get excited.. I tend to swear.

Anywho... here's some vids.. more pics to go up later.. we took A BUNCH that day.

*Copy SAVE AS* please.

What the inside looks like
Check out the plate

Scott driving... Joe in passenger seat.. I'm in the backseat

Riding in the back
Scott Hoag driving
Mmmmmm gauges
Bouncey ride
Pay no attention to my horrible laughing

And this is myself and Scott taking off

Riding shotgun
Cruising
Betcha get a lot of stares
Cruising again
Going towards the highway
Cruising on the highway
Side street cruise
Heading back to MRT
Repave this road

Sorry... I dunno much about engine mods and the like... I just wanted to ride it
Old 6/27/05, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

I'll add more in a few
Old 6/27/05, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

More vids
Old 6/27/05, 01:19 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
best SEMA car EVER!

my god, if i had an 05 GT, i'd want it EXACTLY like that!
Old 6/27/05, 01:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Great writeup guys and gal!

I really like the looks of the "diffuser" head lights. They just look so neat and you don't have to remove them for night driving! just flip the switch

Kudos!
Old 6/27/05, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, it was a sweet car to ride in and see in person. On a side note...HAPPY BIRTDAY TO MEEEE!!!!!

I don't have to have anybody else buy liquor for me any more lol j/k.
Old 6/27/05, 03:32 PM
V6 Member

is there any video showing what kind of performance the car can do??
Old 6/27/05, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

i really dig the balcked out look. and who wouldn't like a glassback come on?? seems very nice. so what's the deal with this. i havent heard much about it. but 13.20?? i did 13.1 on my stock mach 1.... falls short IMO. and a lot of money.... i'll wait for the Shelby. looks great tho. not what i'm looking for tho.
Old 6/27/05, 03:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Twilightblu92@June 27, 2005, 4:16 PM
Yea, it was a sweet car to ride in and see in person. On a side note...HAPPY BIRTDAY TO MEEEE!!!!!

I don't have to have anybody else buy liquor for me any more lol j/k.

Happy birthday Joe!
Old 6/28/05, 12:11 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
even tho i already said it, Happy Birthday bro!
Old 6/28/05, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+June 27, 2005, 5:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ June 27, 2005, 5:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Happy birthday Joe!
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-future9er24
@June 28, 2005, 2:14 AM
even tho i already said it, Happy Birthday bro!
[/quote]

Thanks guys
Old 6/29/05, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who made the rear window louvers, and the side window louvers?

Are these going to be put on the market? If so, what is pricing/availability?

Website?
Old 6/29/05, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

www.mustangracing.com is MRT's website.. I believe CDC makes the louvers.. which are on back order.

I'll post some more pics from that day in a few.
Old 6/29/05, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The louvers are done in collaboration with Visus. The MRT website is as Ms. Amy notes above.
Old 6/29/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Tony Alonso@June 29, 2005, 11:15 AM
The louvers are done in collaboration with Visus. The MRT website is as Ms. Amy notes above.

Sorry, but it looks like Mad Max cross bred with "KITT" from Night Rider to me.It's
missing the red L.E.D. in the grill.

Glad you all seem to like it,tho.To each their own.

Quick Reply: Up Close with the MRT Interceptor