Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Steering Wheel a Bit Boring

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/05, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else think that the GT500's steering wheel looks kinda boring? I mean, I realize that the added perforated leather adds some grip but it needs a bit of pizazz. I was thinking that maybe they should color the perforated leather the color of the interior and then leave the remaining regular leather black. For instance, if they were to do it in the picture that I attached the wheel would be a combination of red and black. What do you guys think?
Old 4/26/05, 04:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I would prefer exposed metal on all 3 spokes. Ford went a bit too far with the leather on the steering wheel. That should be reserved for the European sobs, I mean, snobs.

Sorry. My spelling is getting real bad. 0:-)

Old 4/26/05, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got a problem with the gauge faces. I think white would be more readable.
Old 4/26/05, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, being that they have to have an airbag in the steering wheel (god I hate those things), it really takes away from what you can do style-wise for the steering wheel. I think for what they had to work with, it looks fine, but I'll probably be changing mine out for a custom steering wheel that is very close to what the one on my '67 Shelby GT500 - AND NO AIR BAG!
Old 4/26/05, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@April 26, 2005, 4:04 PM
I would prefer exposed metal on all 3 spokes. Ford went a bit too far with the leather on the steering wheel. That should be reserved for the European sobs, I mean, snobs.

Sorry. My spelling is getting real bad. 0:-)

I agree. The spokes should at least be the same material as the dash insert, which should be just slightly brighter IMO, the rest of the wheel remaining leather.
Old 4/26/05, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's pretty much what I meant (it's a Mazda RX-8).

I do agree, however, with you guys that aluminum on the wheel, like that on the regular GT's with IUP, looks better and that there is a bit too much leather on the GT500's wheel. Even though I like the aluminum look better, I think I'd like the look of a little more color on the wheel as opposed to just black.
Old 4/27/05, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@April 26, 2005, 8:47 PM
Well, being that they have to have an airbag in the steering wheel (god I hate those things), it really takes away from what you can do style-wise for the steering wheel. I think for what they had to work with, it looks fine, but I'll probably be changing mine out for a custom steering wheel that is very close to what the one on my '67 Shelby GT500 - AND NO AIR BAG!
Your name is "OBleedingMe" and you are talking about removing the airbag from your car.

Does this sound ironic to anyone besides myself?
Old 4/27/05, 07:07 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The more I think about it the cheesier it looks.

If leather is a must on the horizontal spokes, the vertical spoke might as well be included. A lot of SVT customers over the years have demanded a different look from the GT but this is one item which probably most would not mind to be the same.
Old 4/27/05, 09:44 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@April 26, 2005, 7:47 PM
While I can almost see that, I think my life and the life of others is way more important and what my steering wheel looks like. Where I am the assistant parts director in home town a car accident yesterday not more than 500 feet from the parks entrance once again proved how those who were seatbelts and airbags were unhurt, while the one child in the van that was not was thrown from the van which landed on her killing her. Man it was a horrible sceen to say the least one I wish I could have avoided seeing. Airbags and seatbelts are worth the cost and the look.
Old 4/27/05, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree. Besides I like the way the center of the steering wheel looks, I'm just not a big fan of the rest of GT500's wheel.
Old 4/27/05, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed on the having seat belts and air bags. I would love to see some exposed metal though instead of a leather wrap on the spokes. I would think it could still be done and not effect the airbag. be a nice contrast, give it that "testicular" look, and be easier to keep clean than leather.
Old 4/27/05, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seth, while I agree that the GT500 wheel needs something, I don't like that Mazda wheel. Too much for my tastes. I think they should have kept the alum. spokes and just used the perforated leather and a different center cap and that would have been fine
Old 4/27/05, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I think that the leather on the spokes will feel better for those who drive at 10 and 2.
Old 4/27/05, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by elwhit95+April 27, 2005, 11:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elwhit95 @ April 27, 2005, 11:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-OBleedingMe@April 26, 2005, 7:47 PM
While I can almost see that, I think my life and the life of others is way more important and what my steering wheel looks like. Where I am the assistant parts director in home town a car accident yesterday not more than 500 feet from the parks entrance once again proved how those who were seatbelts and airbags were unhurt, while the one child in the van that was not was thrown from the van which landed on her killing her. Man it was a horrible sceen to say the least one I wish I could have avoided seeing. Airbags and seatbelts are worth the cost and the look.
[/b][/quote]

You guys should do some reading/online research on the ill-effects of airbags. I had a good buddy of mine have his BOTH arms BROKEN in a 23 MPH collision because his airbag went off. To add insult to injury, his g/f's nose was broken and upper lip busted by the passenger airbag.

I know many of you will disagree with me, but I find that airbags in most cases do more harm than good. I prefer to rely on my seat belt and side-impact airbags for protection. I had the airbags in my '05 Mustang GT deactivated by the dealer. I watched them pull the relay. Had to sign a waiver first, though.
Old 4/27/05, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Let's see what you guys think about this idea.

I'm kinda thinking that they changed the wheel from aluminum to leather because on a 3 spoke steering wheel some people (including me) tend to rest their thumbs on the top of the spokes at 3 and 9 o'clock, and they thought that it would be more comfortable to have your thumbs cradled in leather as opposed to resting them on angular metal (like the GT with IUP).

I attached an image of the Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupe concept (basically the new XK). If you look at the spokes at 3 and 9 o'clock you'll see that the leather that surrounds the exterior ring of the wheel (you know the part you grab onto) extends over onto the spokes a little bit. This effectively gives your thumbs a comfortable place to rest. My BMW 325is sort of does the same thing and it's pretty comfy.

So I was thinking that they should do something like this with the mustang. What do you think about this idea.
Old 4/27/05, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe+April 27, 2005, 4:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OBleedingMe @ April 27, 2005, 4:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by elwhit95@April 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-OBleedingMe
@April 26, 2005, 7:47 PM

You guys should do some reading/online research on the ill-effects of airbags. I had a good buddy of mine have his BOTH arms BROKEN in a 23 MPH collision because his airbag went off. To add insult to injury, his g/f's nose was broken and upper lip busted by the passenger airbag.

I know many of you will disagree with me, but I find that airbags in most cases do more harm than good. I prefer to rely on my seat belt and side-impact airbags for protection. I had the airbags in my '05 Mustang GT deactivated by the dealer. I watched them pull the relay. Had to sign a waiver first, though.
[/b][/quote]
Your life and car so I understand that. Now about the airbags. Humm while your friend broke his arms which is not good he is alive. Arms heal. Once your dead its most of the time fairly hard to come back from that. I mean like I said your car you do want you want too. I know people who cut the seat belts out which to me one of the stupidest things one could do and not that comment doesn't apply to you. Its hard to argue the facts that airbags have save millions of lives since there introductions. Same thing with seat belts, but like airbags seat belts have killed people. So take your druthers.
Old 4/27/05, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe+April 27, 2005, 4:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OBleedingMe @ April 27, 2005, 4:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by elwhit95@April 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-OBleedingMe
@April 26, 2005, 7:47 PM

[/b][/quote]
This misconception could get you killed. According to the NTSB, front airbags have saved many lives. Sure, a small percentage of minor injuries have occured due to premature - or low impact - airbag detonations, but they are far outweighed by the lives saved. And even at 23 mph, a full on frontal collision could have caused a severe head injury to your friend.

Also, disconnecting or deactivating your airbag will immediately void any insurance claim to which you may be entitled in the event of an accident. I'd hate to see anyone lose out on thousands of dollars (or more) in compensation because they proceeded from a false assumption.
Old 4/27/05, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a quick chop:

Any better?
Old 4/27/05, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

That's pretty freakin' good man . I don't know how good your abilities are with this photoshop stuff is but could you, or anyone else out there for that matter, try to bring the leather that's wrapped aroung the wheel and bring it slightly onto the spokes. I attached an Image of the Ford GT that's a little closer to what I've been talking about.
Old 4/28/05, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@April 27, 2005, 5:50 PM

You find that air bags in most cases do more harm than good? Are you seriously high or just looking for an excuse to justify getting an aftermarket wheel?

Fact is, airbags have saved thousands upon thousands of lives. For someone claiming others need to do research on the topic, I would have thought you would have done that. Both the NTSB and IISH agree on their benefits, and just like seatbelts the benefits outweigh the risks thousands of times over. Sure, the 1st generation airbags had their issues, but once people adapted (put children in the rear seat etc) and once the 2nd generation airbags were released, injury rates went down considerably.

Fact is, if your friend actually broke both his arms (something which I doubt since everyone seems to have a "friend" that this particular urban legend applies to) it was probably because he was driving with his hands inside the spokes of the wheel. Also, it should be noted that modern driving recommendations include the hands at 9 and 3 instead of 10 and 2, because in the event of an accident it ensures your arms are thrown out away from the airbag enabling it to focus on your head.....the most important part of your body.

As a final tidbit, as has been stated previously - two broken arms or a broken nose are probablly a lot better than the alternatives. Maybe someone could have walked away just fine without an airbag, but in the vast, vast, vast majority of the cases in which modern second gen airbags deply, the occupant was much better off because of it.

You can do what you want because it is your car, but if you care about your life, the life of your passengers and/or other drivers in your vehicle, or even if you happen to be a little vain and like the way you look.....I would strongly suggest you work around the airbag and leave it alone.