Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

So is the shelby an option?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent heard anymore about if the shelby is an option over the regular svt cobra...I'm hoping it is true, but thinking it isnt. Ayone have any more information on this? Because I want the car below! More my style, and will probably be cheaper!

Old 3/23/05, 07:35 PM
GT Member

I'm hoping it's not, and I doubt it is. I like them as one, but who knows. I think if there are two, I won't be able to afford the GT500 which I would be so proud to own. Perhaps a stripes option is all you need?
Old 3/23/05, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the stripes are an option...
Old 3/23/05, 08:56 PM
V6 Member

Well, I hope it is, because I dont want any of the black pieces on the car either like the car shown in the pic above. I like the clean one color look, and that car pictured looks great imo.
Old 3/23/05, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

I don't think we will know anything for sure until they release production specs. Heck, I don't even know if the stripes will even be an option considering the Shelby's of old.

However, that just may be the 5% difference in the production car they keep talking about.
Old 3/23/05, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mods please close this thread and quash this nonsensical theory once and for all. It's taken on a life of its own and there's no basis whatsoever to it.

There's only one Cobra, folks and it's been unveiled. Repeat after me: "One Cobra"
Old 3/23/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

the 68 Shelbys left the factory with no stripes, those were a dealer installed item, as well as the 10 spoke wheels you see most of them with, the 5 spoke hubcaps were shipped in the trunk as standard equip.
Old 3/23/05, 11:16 PM
V6 Member

yea Im not concerned with the stripes really. I know that will be an option. It is the side skirts that really bother me, which looks cheap like the v6 skirts, along with the black rear skirt even though i really like the design of it, I would have been nice if it didnt wrap all the way around like the small 03/04 rear bumper black skirt . I could remove the sides, if it would look like that pic above. The back wouldnt look right at all if that rear skirt was removed though. I was never a big fan of the chin spoilers.
Old 3/24/05, 12:35 AM
V6 Member

Mods please close this thread and quash this nonsensical theory once and for all. It's taken on a life of its own and there's no basis whatsoever to it.

There's only one Cobra, folks and it's been unveiled. Repeat after me: "One Cobra"

Robert, how do you know this for sure? Do you have some scoop that we dont know about? There are some fairly reliable sources around here that say the Shelby may very well be an option. And that picture sure does raise some eyebrows about it. OF course it seems likely that the Shelby IS THE COBRA, however nobody knows for sure............except for you and FORD. So I just want to know where you're getting your 100% accurate info from.
Old 3/24/05, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@March 24, 2005, 1:38 AM

Robert, how do you know this for sure? Do you have some scoop that we dont know about? There are some fairly reliable sources around here that say the Shelby may very well be an option. And that picture sure does raise some eyebrows about it. OF course it seems likely that the Shelby IS THE COBRA, however nobody knows for sure............except for you and FORD. So I just want to know where you're getting your 100% accurate info from.
This reminds me of the "Prove god doesn't exist" argument. I can't prove there isn't an invisible little green man standing over my shoulder watcing me as I type this post on my computer, either. But here's what I do know:

1) A poster named Anaki who characterized himself as "in the know" inferred that we would see two versions of the Cobra at the NYIAS unveiling. Guess what? It didn't happen and he's disappeared after 49 posts.

2) Carroll Shelby would never put his name on an "upgrade package." If you know anything about the history of Shelby Mustangs you know that that would be an absolute insult.

3) No authoritative source has said anything about a second car.

4) There's no solid business case for Ford to do such a thing.

5) This car IS an SVT Cobra ("the" SVT Cobra). Look at the inside of the engine bay...look at the door sill plates...look at the wheels - it prominently says SVT.

As I've been saying for the past few weeks: this is a Shelby Cobra GT500 by SVT. There is not - nor is there likely to be anytime in the near future - a stand-alone SVT Cobra.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to believe, by all means don't let me stop you...
Old 3/24/05, 06:32 AM

I usually lurk here, but I did want to point Robert to this thread at SVTperformance.com where the poster says he talked with an SVT representative over the phone- SVTperformance forums

"THE INTERIOR LIKE THE 10TH ANNIVERSERY WILL MORE THEN LIKELY NOT BE USED IN THE PRODUCTION MODEL.

HP WILL AT LEAST BE 450HP EATON OR WHIPPLE OR OTHER CHARGER NOT DECIDED YET

STRIPES IF THEY GO WITH PRODUCTION MODEL WILL BE OPTIONED

THE PRODUCTION MODEL WILL BE AT THE DETROIT SHOW IN JAN. THAT CAR WILL BE THE ONE U WILL SEE ON SHOW ROOM FLOORS. THAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT JUNE, JULY OR SO... "

There's more in the post- but this is relevant to this thread. I'm not a big fan of the stripes either, but we'll know for sure next January. Maybe someone at the show can get confirmation from a rep there? One Cobra- I agree with you on that point. But I do hope the stripes are optional.
Old 3/24/05, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by k-dubb@March 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
yea Im not concerned with the stripes really. I know that will be an option. It is the side skirts that really bother me, which looks cheap like the v6 skirts, along with the black rear skirt even though i really like the design of it, I would have been nice if it didnt wrap all the way around like the small 03/04 rear bumper black skirt . I could remove the sides, if it would look like that pic above. The back wouldnt look right at all if that rear skirt was removed though. I was never a big fan of the chin spoilers.

That plastic isn't there just for looks.... this has it's functionality. Those strakes in the back will help keep the car in a straight line at high speeds, and the chin spoiler will help with the lift that is generated by the flow through heat extractor scoops on the hood.
I think they look good anyways, but for the reasons they're there, I'd leave it all in place.
paint it if you don't like the color.
Old 3/24/05, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by msturkie@March 24, 2005, 7:35 AM
I usually lurk here, but I did want to point Robert to this thread at SVTperformance.com where the poster says he talked with an SVT representative over the phone- SVTperformance forums

"THE INTERIOR LIKE THE 10TH ANNIVERSERY WILL MORE THEN LIKELY NOT BE USED IN THE PRODUCTION MODEL.

THE PRODUCTION MODEL WILL BE AT THE DETROIT SHOW IN JAN. THAT CAR WILL BE THE ONE U WILL SEE ON SHOW ROOM FLOORS. THAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT JUNE, JULY OR SO... "

There's more in the post- but this is relevant to this thread. I'm not a big fan of the stripes either, but we'll know for sure next January. Maybe someone at the show can get confirmation from a rep there? One Cobra- I agree with you on that point. But I do hope the stripes are optional.

I was at the Detroit Auto show. The production Cobra was not there. There wasn't even a preproduction or a prototype there. So that leads me to doubt the accuracy of the rest of this person's post.
Old 3/24/05, 08:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@March 24, 2005, 1:59 AM
5) This car IS an SVT Cobra ("the" SVT Cobra). Look at the inside of the engine bay...look at the door sill plates...look at the wheels - it prominently says SVT.

As I've been saying for the past few weeks: this is a Shelby Cobra GT500 by SVT. There is not - nor is there likely to be anytime in the near future - a stand-alone SVT Cobra.
Technically that's incorrect. This car is the Shelby GT500. Cobra is not in the name. There have been talk from a poster on this site that has talked to someone with Ford that says there will be an SVT Cobra separate from the GT500 as well as a SE, all produced by SVT and I am sure having SVT in the engine bay and elsewhere on all 3. But this is just speculation, as is what you are doing.
Old 3/24/05, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by AWmustang+March 24, 2005, 6:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ March 24, 2005, 6:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-msturkie@March 24, 2005, 7:35 AM

I was at the Detroit Auto show. The production Cobra was not there. There wasn't even a preproduction or a prototype there. So that leads me to doubt the accuracy of the rest of this person's post.
[/b][/quote]

I don't think the post is talking about this past Detroit show. Keep in mind, the Shelby is an 07 vehicle so I'd guess it will be displayed in 06.
Old 3/24/05, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 24, 2005, 9:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 24, 2005, 9:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@March 24, 2005, 1:59 AM

Technically that's incorrect. This car is the Shelby GT500. Cobra is not in the name. There have been talk from a poster on this site that has talked to someone with Ford that says there will be an SVT Cobra separate from the GT500 as well as a SE, all produced by SVT and I am sure having SVT in the engine bay and elsewhere on all 3. But this is just speculation, as is what you are doing.
[/b][/quote]
If Cobra is not in the name then why does Ford keep referring to it as the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500, Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Mustang, or Shelby Cobra GT500. Just look at any of their media releases http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?...8&make_id=trust
Old 3/24/05, 11:08 AM
GT Member

Another major reason not to have 2 cars: Development cost. Regardless of whether or not one is built off the other, each would need to go through it's own development process, and the cost would be passed down to us. I am of the angle that SVT is trying to keep a very competitive price for an excellent car.
Old 3/24/05, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 127bull+March 24, 2005, 8:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(127bull @ March 24, 2005, 8:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@March 24, 2005, 9:12 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Robert
@March 24, 2005, 1:59 AM

If Cobra is not in the name then why does Ford keep referring to it as the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500, Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Mustang, or Shelby Cobra GT500. Just look at any of their media releases http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?...8&make_id=trust
[/b][/quote]

This point is also confirmed by the updated info on svt.ford.com (SVT's official page) along with the fact that the production model will be unveiled at the next Detroit Auto Show.
Old 3/24/05, 03:36 PM
V6 Member

Well Robert, i totally see your points you made. And i think that is good reason to believe that there is only ONE COBRA. However there are other reasons as well that show there "might" be possibly two. But I surely dont know the answer so i'll stick to what i have been doing all along, and thats only speculating.
Regarding Anaki, I think he knows a few things but in one thread he said he knew the SHelby was going to be $48K and that all of us could count on that. Well from my understanding, he has been pretty much proven wrong on that. My point is when you act like you know something for sure (when you really dont know for sure) you kinda make yourself look like a fool. And thats my opinion.
Old 3/24/05, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Like I said, if it makes you feel better to believe in two Cobras, by all means don't let me stop you...

Personally, I gave up believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny years ago, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: So is the shelby an option?