Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby Cobra AUTOMATIC?

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/05, 08:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they should offer it. I'm just saying I wouldn't want it to be the only one.
Old 3/26/05, 08:40 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mustangfun101@March 26, 2005, 6:39 AM
I don't see what the harm is in offering it for one year to see if it sells. Besides, with GM having all the problems in the world right now offering the Shelby Cobra with an automatic and taking some vette buyers from the GM market would be another nail in GM's coffin. I think it would be good business.
Old 3/26/05, 09:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Joes66Pony@March 24, 2005, 9:03 PM
Has anybody thought that maybe..just maybe, Ford doesn't have a slushbox capable of withstanding the hp/torque of the 5.4L.

Heck, that excuse seems to work for......I'll stop right there

If Ford can build a transmission that can withstand the torque of the Powerstroke Diesel (and they have), it can definitely handle the 5.4's. Also, there is already a 6 speed auto in development that is slated to go behind the 4.6S/C motor in the new Adrenalin Sport-Trak.

There will be an automatic option available for the S/E's, including the Shelby in the very near future. If an automatic helps a company sell vehicles, that company would be stupid to not offer it.

Remember - a company is in business to make money and they do not make money if they don't sell their product (see: GM). Ford will absolutely offer an automatic; it helps defray development costs as well.

NOTE: There is at least one Cobra mule with an automatic and IRS in it already running around.
Old 3/26/05, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If that were the only tranny offered, I probably would not buy it. I'm sure it is a nice tranny, but, I like traditional clutches.
I understand. It's just a matter of who likes what, really. I drove stick for the past 20 years, now I just wanna relax a bit more...that's why I chose to buy my gt with the 5speed auto tranny...
Anyway...for me, the only way to relax but still have control, like with a stick, would be something like that SMG-II I mentioned: you can have it on full auto, with 5 different modes from reaaaaally relaxed to really sporty, and then the sequential mode (Formula One style...) with 6 modes (in the fastest one, gearchanges happen in 150 milliseconds...). And for you drag racers, it has a so called "launch control" feature...which is a mode that is made with the ONLY purpose to perform stuff like a quarter mile run...you click a button, the car does the rest (at least to get you off the line in the most efficient way...then you go thru the gears...)
Oh God, if the new Shelby would be offered with such a thing, I could almost think of selling my wife to get it !!! Eheheeh
Old 3/26/05, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I think SMG would be a nice option. I think it would attract some of the M3 owners. I think this car will anyway. It is classy, very fast and beautifully styled. This next 15 months or say is gonna take forever.
Old 3/26/05, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 26, 2005, 5:06 PM
Yes, I think SMG would be a nice option. I think it would attract some of the M3 owners. I think this car will anyway. It is classy, very fast and beautifully styled. This next 15 months or say is gonna take forever.
Too late: I owned two M3's (the E36 and E46 models, the latest) and already switched to the Stang...
So if anyone out there is like me, there are some decent chances that they already jumped on the Stang. But indeed the few last stubborn ones will finally be persuaded, with or without SMG.
Now I need not to think too much about the Shelby...otherwise I won't sleep at night. Such a gorgeous car, congrats to Ford.
Old 3/26/05, 03:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NolanzDad+March 25, 2005, 10:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NolanzDad @ March 25, 2005, 10:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@March 25, 2005, 7:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NolanzDad
@March 24, 2005, 5:03 PM
Ford is either stupid or arrogant in not offering a A/T; the early Shelby Mustangs had A/T available, and it doesn't appear to be a problem for Chrysler/Dodge SRT products- they can ONLY be had with A/T (except the Viper).

Actually only offering a performance car in an automatic is ignorant.
what are you trying to say? ignorance is just showing a lack of knowledge; I'm not defending Chrysler, but they probably realize that more A/Ts are sold than manuals...it just expands the market for your vehicles.
[/b][/quote]
No, offering both would expand the market for a vehicle. There are a lot of people that won't buy a performance car with an automatic in it.
Old 3/26/05, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Ok, the same people who said a case can't be made for IRS in the Cobra, but definitely an SMG style semi-automatic, which is more complex and expensive..... :scratch:
Old 3/26/05, 09:28 PM

I had a 98 Cobra with a stick. This car was my daily drive. I have a bad back and at times it became difficult to drive, especially in stop and go traffic. I sold the car and bought a Vette with automatic so I could have the performance without the pain. BTW, 65-70% of vettes sold are A/T. The vette comes standard with A/T and manual was a $1200 option. The Vette is a super car, but there is nothing like a Cobra. So, SVT if you are listening, please offer an A/T at the get go.
Rick
Old 3/26/05, 10:42 PM

The cobra had a Auto in the Official Indy pace car in 1994. I prefer an Auto with that much HP.
Old 3/26/05, 11:01 PM

I would love and auto or SMG. I get tired of shoving my 04 beast around...that car is out of control =) I need the refinement of the 07
Old 3/27/05, 10:37 AM
Banned

ppl buy a cobra for performance... If you dont want the power why buy one?

You gotta have a manual tranny on it... It just wouldnt be right with an auto!
Old 3/27/05, 10:47 AM

Most of the fastest cars produced have an A/T option. C'mon SVT, want to increase sales 50+% and lure buyers from the General. It's a no brainer. More money for SVT means more products for us. SVT- don't blow the opportunity
Rick
Old 3/27/05, 01:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1979Cobra@March 27, 2005, 11:50 AM
Most of the fastest cars produced have an A/T option. C'mon SVT, want to increase sales 50+% and lure buyers from the General. It's a no brainer. More money for SVT means more products for us. SVT- don't blow the opportunity
Rick
There are waiting lists already forming for this car without even the mention of it having an auto available, I don't see them having a problem selling it without an auto offered.
Old 3/27/05, 04:38 PM

They will probably offer an automatic transmission with the GT500, i drive a manual and i love it, but in traffic it can sure be annoying specially in the sports car with a heavier and more power balanced clutch.

Don't forget its on;y 95% ready the gt500, thats maybe one of the things they are trying to do, i would probably buy a manual.

if they would offer an automatic which would have sports mode and city mode than i would consider it.

Anyway whatever they do this car will sell
Old 3/27/05, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lots of big bold letter there. Anyway......like I said before, if they offered it with an automatic it would take sales away from the Corvette and some other cars out there, to me that's worth it.
Old 3/27/05, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Ok..I still don't get it. There are people willing to accept a 2000 to 2500 dollar premium for a slushbox capable of handling over 450 hp/500 ft-lb of torque. But IRS is out of the question? :scratch:
Old 3/27/05, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Joes66Pony+March 26, 2005, 10:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joes66Pony @ March 26, 2005, 10:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, the same people who said a case can't be made for IRS in the Cobra, but definitely an SMG style semi-automatic, which is more complex and expensive..... :scratch:
[/b]

BMW's SMG costs 2400 bucks and it includes Park Distance Control, an option otherwise priced by itself at 350 dollars. That leaves me to believe that the pure price of the SMG (which again is the most advance auto/sequential gearbox in the world, together with the Ferrari one...) is around 2050 dollars. On a Cobra this would be more or less a 5 % price increase for the base MSRP, considering a starting price of around 40k.
Hardly a bank account breaker in my opinion...

Originally posted by wakerider017@March 27, 2005, 1:40 PM
An SMG-style transmission is the best for a car like the Cobra/GT500...
In its fastest mode, a gearchange happens in 150 milliseconds...no human can match that speed...and on top of that the SMG perfectly blips the throttle when downshifting...
In F1, the racing competition with the highest technology level in the world, SMG style gearboxes are used by all teams...
To sum it up, such a transmission would just be beneficial to the Cobra/GT500...
It would really be the best. IMHO.
And this type of transmission is NOT an auto...It's WAY more than that...
PS: I have an automatic Mustang GT, it still kicks hiney...

<!--QuoteBegin-Joes66Pony
@March 27, 2005, 9:09 PM
Ok..I still don't get it. There are people willing to accept a 2000 to 2500 dollar premium for a slushbox capable of handling over 450 hp/500 ft-lb of torque. But IRS is out of the question? :scratch:
[/quote]

I'd love IRS too.
And such a transmission ain't a slushbox...
Old 3/28/05, 12:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Legion681+March 27, 2005, 11:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Legion681 @ March 27, 2005, 11:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Joes66Pony@March 26, 2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, the same people who said a case can't be made for IRS in the Cobra, but definitely an SMG style semi-automatic, which is more complex and expensive..... :scratch:
BMW's SMG costs 2400 bucks and it includes Park Distance Control, an option otherwise priced by itself at 350 dollars. That leaves me to believe that the pure price of the SMG (which again is the most advance auto/sequential gearbox in the world, together with the Ferrari one...) is around 2050 dollars. On a Cobra this would be more or less a 5 % price increase for the base MSRP, considering a starting price of around 40k.
Hardly a bank account breaker in my opinion...

Originally posted by wakerider017@March 27, 2005, 1:40 PM

An SMG-style transmission is the best for a car like the Cobra/GT500...
In its fastest mode, a gearchange happens in 150 milliseconds...no human can match that speed...and on top of that the SMG perfectly blips the throttle when downshifting...
In F1, the racing competition with the highest technology level in the world, SMG style gearboxes are used by all teams...
To sum it up, such a transmission would just be beneficial to the Cobra/GT500...
It would really be the best. IMHO.
And this type of transmission is NOT an auto...It's WAY more than that...
PS: I have an automatic Mustang GT, it still kicks hiney...

<!--QuoteBegin-Joes66Pony
@March 27, 2005, 9:09 PM
I'd love IRS too.
And such a transmission ain't a slushbox...
[/b][/quote]
I know some auto. 2003-04 Mach1s breat 5speed man. GTs and Cobras at FFW at dragraces.
Old 3/28/05, 12:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by NolanzDad@March 24, 2005, 7:03 PM
Ford is either stupid or arrogant in not offering a A/T; the early Shelby Mustangs had A/T available, and it doesn't appear to be a problem for Chrysler/Dodge SRT products- they can ONLY be had with A/T (except the Viper).
not true the srt-4 neon comes only in stick

Quick Reply: Shelby Cobra AUTOMATIC?