Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

To Scoop or Not to Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/05, 09:22 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should Ford have had added some scoops on the new GT500?
Here is a photoshop done by MOBSTER(Matt)
Old 3/25/05, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

IMHO, they should use the exact scoops from the concept (a little different than the ones shown there.

Good 'chop though.
Old 3/25/05, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've made my opinion pretty clear on other threads, yes I would like to see body scoops, but not window scoops.
Old 3/25/05, 09:33 AM
GT Member

I'm over the scoops unless they provide a distinct advantage.
Old 3/25/05, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

None for me. Leave it just like it is.

Nice 'chop though.
Old 3/25/05, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The scoops are not me but I like the painted rockers and the half painted mirrors
Old 3/25/05, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm lovin the scoops. Both scoops look great, but I would like to see the concept-style window scoop instead.
Old 3/25/05, 10:13 AM

I just don't get this peacock-like fascination with festooning bright and garish baubles like scoops all over anything with wheels. Sure, if it serves a real purpose, functionally or stylistically. But otherwise, it just ends up being tacky and awkward decorations that detract for a car’s basic good looks. Good design is not the same thing as a lot of design, and is usually just the opposite, i.e., less is more, quality over quantity. Reflexively gluing automotive costume jewelry on any exposed flank is the first and obvious resort of bad designers resulting in the automotive equivalent of a zoot suit.

Ford, thankfully, took a more refined, thoughtful and grown up approach than the gone-wild-with-the-J.C. Whitney catalog school of design and has come up with a very refined, cohesive, coherent, functional and tasteful result. No high-school study hall design here. The elements are all there for a purpose and serve to enhance both the function of the vehicle and the overall looks, basically, keep'n it real in automotive terms.

Think of the difference between a guy in a well-tailored, impeccably finished suit and one with some cheap, ill fitting one wearing garish shirts and a bunch of cheap jewelry to grab attention to himself. It the difference between commanding respect vs. demanding attention. The GT500’s looks speak very firmly and assuredly, not loudly and brashly.

Even the rear spoiler, which I generally abhor as a trite stylistic conceit 99% of the time, is well integrated with the overall design and really does work to enhance aerodynamics and performance, lending it credibility and integrity. This is in stark contrast with the GT's clumsy, totally generic-looking piece that does absolutely nothing but add deadweight and drag. And it certainly distinguishes it from the sea of pretenders sprouting all manner of fake protuberances from every panel, i.e., the dreaded ricers.

The GT500 owner can assuredly look to his rear spoiler and point out that it has been extensively wind tunnel tested to provide 80lbs of downforce at 100mph (or whatever the exact figures are). The guy with the Honda Civic can point to his towering spoiler and point out that he and his buddies around him got a bulk-buy discount on 10 of these wind fences at the local parts shop and adds probably 100lbs of drag at 80mph.

My hope is that what would distinguish Mustang owners from the dreaded ricers is that they would add such things, not simply for preening, but for real purpose, that there is a real integrity to any add ons, not simply some pagentry for one's ego.

Of course, if its your car, please feel free to go nuts with the pop-rivet and glue guns and start "corning out" (American equivalent of "ricing out") your poor Stang...it's your money and eyes.

There, I feel better now. Where's those meds...
Old 3/25/05, 10:18 AM
I'm people, and I like.

so... you dont like it?

Old 3/25/05, 10:24 AM

The quarter window? Naw, what's it do other than block an already tight sightline. Maybe something flush like the Mustang Concept's that vent air to a diff oil cooler or something...

The quarter panel? That's actually not too bad, reflects the nicely integrated one on the Mustang Concept rather than the goofy Dumbo-ears usually afixed here. Now if some actual cool air is actually ducted to some toasty brakes...

I prefer the black rockers as they reduce the visual height and weight of the side panels, lending a leaner, longer, lower look.
Old 3/25/05, 10:27 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
A Shelby needs the scoops. I wonder if some similar to the '68's will be available.
Old 3/25/05, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Great Chop, thanks. Exactly what I wanted to see. I think all this car needs is the side and window scoops and of course a 40G price tag
Old 3/25/05, 11:22 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rhumb@March 25, 2005, 11:27 AM
I prefer the black rockers as they reduce the visual height and weight of the side panels, lending a leaner, longer, lower look.
Actually, I think body-colored rockers make it look lower, the black ones make it look like it is higher off the ground. It also makes the car look cheap, like it's a cost cutting move.
Old 3/25/05, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would like them to have a window louver or something that can be changed out pretty easily with the glass. I would also like them to leave the side cove as it is.

Then again, if it drives a few people nuts that the car has scoops I hope they add plenty of fake ones. I won't lose sleep over it.
Old 3/25/05, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that looks really good. Looking back at the 05 Concept car, that was awesome. I think that is absolutly the best design Ford has ever come up with.
Old 3/25/05, 12:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 25, 2005, 11:16 AM
I just don't get this peacock-like fascination with festooning bright and garish baubles like scoops all over anything with wheels. Sure, if it serves a real purpose, functionally or stylistically. But otherwise, it just ends up being tacky and awkward decorations that detract for a car’s basic good looks. Good design is not the same thing as a lot of design, and is usually just the opposite, i.e., less is more, quality over quantity. Reflexively gluing automotive costume jewelry on any exposed flank is the first and obvious resort of bad designers resulting in the automotive equivalent of a zoot suit.
So you must hate all 1967-70 Shelbys huh?

Old 3/25/05, 01:06 PM

I certainly prefered the '65-'66 -- clean, lean, and very functional.
The '67-'68s weren't bad, and ostensibly, the scoops (non-functioning ones) were there to be readily modified to work in competition, so at least a pose of functional justification there.

The "69-'70s were just over the top and looked like cheese graters.

I guess they just reflected the course of Mustang development, getting bigger, fatter, heavier, plusher, softer and generally, just a bit too much for the most part. Sure, the big-motored made them faster, in a straight line at least and with a commensurate decline in agility, but otherwise, I think their edge softened over time from a lean tight focus of the originals to a just pile it on excess of the later versions.
Old 3/25/05, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 25, 2005, 2:09 PM
I guess they just reflected the course of Mustang development, getting bigger, fatter, heavier, plusher, softer and generally, just a bit too much for the most part. Sure, the big-motored made them faster, in a straight line at least and with a commensurate decline in agility, but otherwise, I think their edge softened over time from a lean tight focus of the originals to a just pile it on excess of the later versions.
Not just Mustang development. You pretty much summed up the average American today.

Old 3/25/05, 01:47 PM

I wasn't going to say it, but....
Old 3/25/05, 01:52 PM
KBE
V6 Member

I like the side scoop. Put a Roush window louvre on there. It only has 4 louvre panels I think. And it would look awesome if they plug the mouting screw holes.

http://www.roushparts.com/products/05/401346_400.jpg

Quick Reply: To Scoop or Not to Scoop