Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

$ Saleen 2005-2006 extreme $

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/06, 06:37 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

How much does a Saleen extreme cost? someone? and the extras? THANKS!
Old 1/6/06, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Waaay more than it's worth!
Old 1/6/06, 08:20 PM
GT Member

$70 - $80k
Old 1/6/06, 09:01 PM
Cam Tease

Gahh, James! You stole what I was planning to say (nearly verbatim) as soon as I saw the thread title.

But yeah, both of the above posts are accurate.
Old 1/6/06, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Why would anyone, anyone pay that kind of money when you could purchase a Z06 for less than that?
Old 1/6/06, 09:25 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, I could find a thesauraus and list some synonyms for "stupidity" if you like?
Old 1/13/06, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Run the thesauraus, it should make some interesting conversation...

How much is the Z06 going for?
Old 1/13/06, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

if it is not tracked in Kelly Blue Book; its not worth buying
Old 1/13/06, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm almost embarrased by my trivial contribution, given the value of the above posts, but what the heck -

the only price I've seen to date = $65,000, which puts it right in the Z06's msrp, I believe. Saleen state 550hp, with a completely redone engine - the block is the same, everything else is replaced (pistons, rods, etc). If I recall correctly, they're talking 12.1 in the 1/4, which is nice.

This is all on top of the usual list of upgrades - interior, brakes, suspension, appearance.

The Extreme is a true step up from the Mustang which Saleen get from Ford. When you look at most "tuner" vehicles, they're really just a GT with a bodykit and some bolt-ons (even then, that's usually just exhaust and suspension). The Extreme is not at all the same car, with even the tranny being replaced, if I remember correctly.

Worth $65,000? Tough to say. The Z06 is likely to perform equally well, for about the same price. However, whereas Z06 owners will smile and wave at each other, and arrange meets, anyone who owns an Extreme will likely be able to drive their vehicle for ever and not see another one on the road. This will be a true limited edition vehicle (as in a few hundred made, not tens of thousands per year).

As for KBB, I don't think Saleen vehicles are listed in there (I haven't looked, so I could be wrong), but they hold their value well (better than, for example, Cobras) and it can only be presumed that the Extreme will be at least equally depreciation-resistant.

Sorry for the rambling, silly post. Let me sum up with something more insightful and relevant...um..."Waste of money - their tires don't stay as black as normal tires."

There.

Edit : Added a couple of links for info. Interesting that Saleen are still estimating 55hp, but I've seen a number of references to 500hp (I'm guessing those are estimates too).

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/05saleen06.php

http://www.saleen.com/s281_e.htm
Old 1/13/06, 01:12 PM
Cam Tease

There is no way the E will match the Z06, and I doubt it will even match the GT500. Plus, Chevy def. wont be making tens of thousands of Z06s.

Anyone that buys an Extreme is IMO a fool.
Old 1/13/06, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 13, 2006, 2:15 PM
There is no way the E will match the Z06, and I doubt it will even match the GT500. Plus, Chevy def. wont be making tens of thousands of Z06s.

Anyone that buys an Extreme is IMO a fool.
Neither (or, rather, none of the three) are available yet, so we can only take manufacturers stated perf for what it is. The E's stated perf lets it hang with the Z06. With extra horses over the GT500, we can only assume the E's going to outperform it, especially since they're so similar in other respects (aerodynamics, weight, etc...).

As for production numbers, ok, thousands of Z06's, then, would be my guess (I lack your crystal ball, therefore am loath to say "def.").

The E is closer to a supercar in a Mustang body, than a Mustang tuned to supercar level. I'm NOT saying it's a supercar, merely pointing out that this isn't just another modd'd Mustang GT. $65K isn't a stretch for this car - it IS expensive/somewhat overpriced, but not ridiculously so.

These are simply the facts, as we have them at hand (other than my opinion on whether $65K is too much money for the E). If it's too much for some people to deal with, I apologise. The thread began with a question on the price of the Saleen E, then plunged straight into flaming of the car, without regard for making an informed comment.

Price I last saw was from $65K. Performance, with what we know, >GT500, PERHAPS up there with the Z06. Uniqueness, Extreme wins hands down.
Old 1/13/06, 04:24 PM
Cam Tease

Dude...the GT500s gonna have nearly a liter of displacement on the E--not to mention a 4v DOHC valvetrain instead of 3v SOHC. With a few cost-reducing differences, the GT500 will have the friggin the Ford GT motor in it!

Ford underrates their hp numbers anyway. The first (supercar) GTs were delivered with Ford claimed 500 FLYWHEEL hp..they DYNO at 550rwhp!!! (Thats why Ford upped the rating to 550 flywheel--which is still about 50hp too few--despite no engine changes)

It doesn't matter what Saleen's traditionally BS numbers may claim, the GT500 will waste it...seriously. And with a twin-screw SC swapped onto the FOUR valve SVT and it will be even more laughable--not to mention, still about $20k cheaper than the E.

And, it doesn't take a crystal ball to know Chevy won't make/sell as many Z06s as they do normal Vettes... (btw the Z06s actually are available.)

And your "the E is more like a supercar in a Mustang body" thing is a joke, its LESS differentiated from the 'Stang GT than is the GT500.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd dig up one of my Mustang books to precisely cite the model years of Saleens for which Steve claimed a 40hp boost despite not TOUCHING the engine. But like you said, I flame with no regard for information.
Old 1/13/06, 04:24 PM
Cam Tease

friggin double posts...
Old 1/13/06, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 13, 2006, 5:27 PM
You act like the GT500 isn't as differentiated from the 'Stang GT as the Extreme is, the "Shelby" has a new tranny and whatnot as well.

No :bang: , what I'm saying is that the other "tuner" models are little more than bodykits and exhaust mods, whereas the E has been substantially reworked. See my original post, paragraph 4.

You're clearly not going to keep any kind of open mind on this. The GT500 will "waste" the E? Where do you come up with this stuff? You write with such authority and finality, when the truth is yet to be seen. I get the impression you're just one the band of naysayers on "tuner" cars. As such, your bias is apparent and this is seen in the worth of your comments - they're a reflection of your pettiness, rather than anything helpful/meaningful.

Keep up the good work
Old 1/13/06, 05:35 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, okay dude. Out of my entire post of facts, you chose one, admittedly strong, verb choice to criticize?

Nice of you to assume I have some vendetta against tuner cars based on this though...I mean...such insight.

All I'm saying is, you get MORE hardware for LESS money with the GT500, so anyone that buys the E is a fool in MY OPINION (which happens to be based on alot of facts)

Look at historical precedent. Race any Saleen (SR, S351, and S7 excepted) with a Terminator, then come back and tell me that Saleens are worth what they cost.
Old 1/13/06, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 13, 2006, 6:38 PM
Haha, okay dude. Out of my entire post of facts, you chose one, admittedly strong, verb choice to criticize?

Nice of you to assume I have some vendetta against tuner cars based on this though...I mean...such insight.
All I'm saying is, you get MORE hardware for LESS money with the GT500, so anyone that buys the E is a fool in MY OPINION (which happens to be based on alot of facts)
Look at historical precedent. Race any Saleen (SR, S351, and S7 excepted) with a Terminator, then come back and tell me that Saleens are worth what they cost.
Ah, your famously reliable "historical" "facts", again.

I agree, the GT500 is a better deal, per horse, being around $20,000 cheaper. Doesn't make the E a fools purchase, though, IMO. There's something to be said for owning an extremely rare car - that's how TVR stay in biz.
Old 1/14/06, 08:41 AM
Cam Tease

It all boils down to the number on the bumper, some people think its important, some people think its a joke.

Yes, there is something to be said for owning an extremely rare car, and when I see an E owner, what his car will say to me is "I have too much money on my hands and therefore make either uninformed purchasing decisions, or informed but stupid nonetheless decisions."

Buy the GT500, swap on a KB blower, buy all the Saleen acoutrements, and donate the $10k leftover to charity, you will have a much faster car and all the visual distinction of an E AND help some people. Unless of course the magical serial number bestowed by Steve Saleen the Diety is really worth all that much.

For E money you could put yourself in a Z06 or the E90 M3!
"Power in the hands of a few" Yeah, everyone outside of the "few" bought more power for less money.
Old 1/14/06, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

When I sold may saleen, using various ebay links and mustang traders for values; it lost 50% in four years and still falling; I got 20K for it when I paid 40K.

The thing that hurts about these cars is their warranties. They are horrible ... REPEAT ... horrible. I love their cars ... I really do, but i will never buy one NEW again. The value is not there for what they are asking. Mine was a 1999; two year limited warranty. The S351s only came with a 1 year.

The GT 500 is a better deal because it has a full warranty ... not much of one but at least you can roll up to any Ford dealer and get service.

Only certain Ford dealerships will fix your Saleen ... when my brakes failed ( standard ford brakes ) I was really screwed. It took weeks to fix it cutting through the red tape BS and a good friend of mine ( Ford Service Manager I befriended after the failed brakes and S/C problems ) told me that Saleen service ( getting parts ) is a painful chore.

This was Fremont Ford in California where I bought the car and they no longer sell Saleens because of the headaches involved. I guess if you buy a Saleen form Santa Maragirita Ford in so cal -- you will be in better luck because they are only 10 minutes away from Saleen HQ

I do miss that car but whats done is done.

If anyone here wants to buy a Saleen, talk to a former owner and get the real story and then decide if it is worth it.

shop wisely.
Old 1/18/06, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

exarkum,

FWIW, there are some that say the same thing will happen to the Shelby.....it will be worth half in 4 years. So if you believe them, then you did fairly well, since the Shelby runs $40k. Only time will tell......