Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

More Details About the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Old 5/16/05, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, the bottom line was- and still is- that we want a car with all of the major features of the concept: 5.4, twin-screw, 19" (at least as an option), most of what we saw in the interior, etc. We have a right to express our opinion here.
You think the average Cobra buyer won't notice these "details"???
Also, regarding this car "not even making up 5% of Ford's sales-- 5% would be HUGE from a statistical point of view. This car is vital also because it brings traffic to the showroom floor. They find the Mustang GT impractical, but they can buy an Explorer with the same engine, etc.
Traffic into the showroom makes a big difference in the bottom line. You can't sell any car unless the customer shows up at the dealer in the first place. Believe me, there will be alot of people showing up to look at the GT500 who won't buy that, but may buy a Focus/Taurus/500/v6Mustang/Explorer.
Old 5/16/05, 02:55 PM
V6 Member

Wow, if Ford ends up switching to the roots and you want the twin screw...then why don't you go ahead and mod that out yourself as with any other little change they make. Not like anyones forcing you to keep the car 100% original.

You should be so fortunate that they are producing a car, and that you are able to afford it if so possible.
Old 5/16/05, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 68notch+May 16, 2005, 1:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(68notch @ May 16, 2005, 1:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh no! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
[/b]

In point of fact, it actually is. GM is in SERIOUS peril right now, and Ford isn't that far behind them.

It probably wouldn't matter much - I suspect that if either company goes Chapter 11, the US government will bail them out, as it did with Chrysler two decades ago (or have you forgotten about that?).

<!--QuoteBegin-68notch
@May 16, 2005, 1:40 PM
...auto mags and their gullible readership.
[/quote]
I think you mean people who actually CAN read.
Old 5/16/05, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by crispy23c@May 16, 2005, 2:44 PM
We have a right to express our opinion here.
Yep, and knuckle-dragging troglodytes have a right to bash your opinion, too.
Old 5/16/05, 03:35 PM
GT Member

A screw supercharger is a roots type, it is mearly a variation of the shape of the lobes that pump air into the engine. The screw type lobe is a much more complicated shape, but with modern CNC controled machines the diffrence has been reduced significantly. I don't think we need to panic yet. But I do believe that Ford is crafty enough to drop a hint and check reaction to it. So therefore, Ford if you are listening, I DO CARE. I want the SCREW, and not the kind the TAX man gives you. So if your going to start lopping off the parts that make the car special, drop the Shelby name, not my engine goodies. Why would any of you guys back off so easily. We should get our +/- $40K worth of car. Don't let Ford think we will take less, or you will get less. We almost got a PROBE, remember.
Old 5/16/05, 03:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by crispy23c@May 16, 2005, 2:44 PM
Traffic into the showroom makes a big difference in the bottom line. You can't sell any car unless the customer shows up at the dealer in the first place. Believe me, there will be alot of people showing up to look at the GT500 who won't buy that, but may buy a Focus/Taurus/500/v6Mustang/Explorer.
I will have to disagree, Toyota doesn't have a car that pulls people off the streets (Celica or MR2 don't qualify) and they are still selling close to a half million Camrys annually. The best attention getter that Honda has is the S2000, and it hasn't significantly changed its appearance in the last few years to really bring in people and their Accord and Civic sales aren't hurting either. The general public wants a automobile that's safe and has good reliability.
Old 5/16/05, 03:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 68notch@May 16, 2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, a twin screw blower is more efficient than a roots type. But most people will have trouble managing the 550+ whp a ported/pullied roots blower will be capable of producing. A pullied/ported roots blower on a tuned 03 Cobra makes between 475-500 whp--that's with 4.6L displacement. The performance ceiling of a modified roots blower is much higher than you give it credit. Hence, absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Hot Rod says in the article they'll be on the car, so they're confirming the press release. But I guess you already knew that.
What are you so afraid of? That only the seats will have leather? Heh. Vanity.
Wow, every detail? Really? I guess you also know that Ford never really "switched" the blower, except for in their press releases--the concept is powered by a roots blower.

And this 95 percent business. Has it every occured to you that the person who said that and you yourself may have different opinions of what percentage a particular part constitutes the makeup of the total vehicle. Or, has a system been standardized without my knowledge?
Are you here to make a point or to flex your keyboards little muscles? Why don't you stop trying to make yourself look smarter than you actually are by trying to make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Simply because most people can't handle the power and I'm not giving the roots enough credit does not validate your accusation that I don't know about this car. The roots is not as efficient as the twin screw. I said it. You confirmed it. Therefore, I do know what I am talking about. Now get off your powertrip and just post your point without trying to win arguments by trying to look smarter than others.
Old 5/16/05, 04:48 PM
Banned

"A pullied/ported roots blower on a tuned 03 Cobra makes between 475-500 whp--that's with 4.6L displacement."

I thought they had 390hp? What am I missing?
Old 5/16/05, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 16, 2005, 3:41 PM
The general public wants a automobile that's safe and has good reliability.
As opposed to the rest of us who want unsafe, unreliable cars.
Old 5/16/05, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by wakerider017@May 16, 2005, 4:51 PM
"A pullied/ported roots blower on a tuned 03 Cobra makes between 475-500 whp--that's with 4.6L displacement."
I thought they had 390hp? What am I missing?
Pullied refers to a smaller blower pulley which increases blower speed which ups boost (relatively easy and inexpensive to do yourself), ported refers to taking your blower apart and smoothing and enlarging the exit area of the blower case to increase air flow (tough, not recomended for backyard mechanics, fairly expensive done by a blower shop). But even with these modifications, while effective, the roots blower won't approach the efficency AND power of a screw type. Not to mention warrenty and cost issues.
Old 5/16/05, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@May 16, 2005, 5:00 PM
Are you here to make a point or to flex your keyboards little muscles?
My point: There is no valid reason for a twin screw stock. I've proven why.

Why don't you stop trying to make yourself look smarter than you actually are by trying to make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Simply because most people can't handle the power and I'm not giving the roots enough credit does not validate your accusation that I don't know about this car.
The roots is not as efficient as the twin screw. I said it. You confirmed it. Therefore, I do know what I am talking about. Now get off your powertrip and just post your point without trying to win arguments by trying to look smarter than others.
Chill.
Old 5/16/05, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 68notch@May 16, 2005, 7:12 PM

Chill.
Agreed.
Old 5/16/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Old 5/17/05, 05:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@May 16, 2005, 5:03 PM
As opposed to the rest of us who want unsafe, unreliable cars.
Okay, you took my statement out of context.
Old 5/17/05, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@May 15, 2005, 8:03 AM
I have a friend who is a Chevy dealer. He has promised me a Z06 at sticker. If sticker is within my price range, I'm considering jumping ship. SVT/Ford better pull it together.
Might want to consider changing your sig before you "jump ship"....because saying you are "Hoping to be the first TMS member to take delivery of an '07 Shelby." doesn't exactly coorelate with driving a Z06.

I will agree with your original statement about rumors....all we can do is wait and see. The more that is released, the more I think a GT with an aftermarket supercharger may be the way to go. Not only would you probably end up with as much or more hp than a stock GT500, but you would save at least $10 - 15k in the process - and that is before dealer markup.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not willing to part with $10k or more of my hard earned money just for some fancy badges and a 6 speed tranny.
Old 5/17/05, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Craig, there is more to it (the GT500) then equating it with a GT with a SC on it. The GT500 has built internals completely heavy duty stuff compared with the GTs In order for you to match up with it you would easily have to put that 10K into your GT and still not have the realiability or the warranty in force. I was thinking about going the GT plus blower route too but after a lot of thought I think the GT500 stock out of the box would be the best way to go
Old 5/17/05, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by jwenger@May 17, 2005, 11:34 AM
Craig, there is more to it (the GT500) then equating it with a GT with a SC on it. The GT500 has built internals completely heavy duty stuff compared with the GTs In order for you to match up with it you would easily have to put that 10K into your GT and still not have the realiability or the warranty in force. I was thinking about going the GT plus blower route too but after a lot of thought I think the GT500 stock out of the box would be the best way to go
Oh don't get me wrong....I know there is more than slapping a simple supercharger onto a stock GT motor, but Procharger is pushing what....over 500hp on a stock GT bottom end with no problems thus far?

Granted, I'm not about to be the guinea pig on a new motor, but there are guys out there doing it already, and in another year I think we will know the true reliablily behind those setups. Besides....if for some reason you threw a rod and had to rebuild, I'm sure you would use forged internals and higher grade components.....and I can't imagine spending 10k to do it (but maybe I am naive).

Of course, the GT500 carries some prestige simply by being exclusive. Anyone and their dog can own a GT, but a GT500 will be rare. Then of course there are the leather upgrades, the 6-sp, the facia, stripes, wheels, brakes etc...all of which are nice, but at what price? I guess truthfully I would much rather pick my own wheels, have my own stripes painted on (versus a decal), pick my own hood and facia combo......and in the end instead of bastardizing a real GT500 and feeling like I have committed a sin against the car gods, I would just be customizing a regular GT and thus have nothing to apologize for.

I guess time will tell - and again all we can do is wait, but I can tell you this much for certain. I don't know how I would feel if I spent upwards of $45k on a new GT500, only to have a GT show me taillights at a stoplight. I'm guessing it will happen to quite a few GT500 owners out there, and I don't plan to be one of them.
Old 5/17/05, 03:23 PM

The hood vents will be functional. They weren't on the show car - they will be on the production GT500.
Old 5/17/05, 03:36 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Robert@May 16, 2005, 2:07 PM
Hey, Bubba, there are two kinds of people in this world: leaders and followers. Leaders question, followers blindly accept everything they're told and question nothing.

Apparently, you're a follower.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH....um...no......leaders LEAD!!!! People who don't know question.

That reminds me of a quote "There is not such thing as a stupid question, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots".
Old 5/17/05, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dig-It@May 17, 2005, 3:26 PM
The hood vents will be functional. They weren't on the show car - they will be on the production GT500.
HUH??????? I thought it was functional on the proto and its going to be non func on the production model.....

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but i think 68 notch is off his rocker....

If this is legit info where did you hear it.

I hope it is true!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Details About the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500