Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

GT500 Convertible Officially Announced

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/05, 06:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MustangFanatic@September 29, 2005, 3:47 PM

the more I see the hood the less I like it, Ford has clearly dropped the ball on that one.
I agree.
Old 9/29/05, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
finally! some Mustang news! Sorry to say the forums were gettin a lil stale. but yay!
Old 9/29/05, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crayonbreaking@September 29, 2005, 6:34 PM
finally! some Mustang news! Sorry to say the forums were gettin a lil stale. but yay!
I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 9/29/05, 07:43 PM
GT Member

I still think the production models will have some changes over the current batch of mules that are being shown. Ford needs something exciting at NAIAS in January, and I'd be willing to bet they will keep some changes under their hat until then.

I'm #1 on my local dealer list (they are supposed to be getting 3 GT500's, 2 HT's and 1 ragtop) so I'm good to go unless they get greedy.

Now on to the good news. No Lemans stripes! Great News. The convertibles shouldn't have them as it would look silly when there would be no stripes on the top. Give me black with red rocker stripes, and a red leather interior and it will mach my 65 GT convertible.
Old 9/29/05, 09:19 PM
V6 Member

I love that color red! I like the hood, and even more I like the fact that it is a functional design that does what it is suppose to. Isn't that what most want here, functionality? Why is everyone breaking Ford's ***** over the splitter and v6 parts? They gave us some new info which lights up the threads. It's obvious the splitter and diffuser are probably sourced from the same manufacture, and they aren't ready to go quite yet, so big deal. How many press releases does Ford have to mention the rear diffuser and splitter in before they are believed? Lighten up, whether you want to admit it or not, this car is heads above the 04' Cobra from design, to chassis, to powertrain. Is it perfect, no. What mustang was? It sure wasn't the 03'-04' Cobra. Don't like it, don't buy it. Think you can influence Ford's direction, write them instead of wasting your time complaining in threads they may or may not read.
Old 9/29/05, 09:23 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
V6 body parts?? The only thing I see borrowed from the V6 is the decklid badge, and they're just not going to spend money on that for these mules.
Old 9/29/05, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

^ That looks production ready to me. And the V6 parts I think he was referring to is the rockers. You gotta admit, with the blank grill and the black rockers, it does look a lot like a V6 with a ricer's hood and a droopy chin.

But, then again, with $45k, there are quite a few vehicles I would buy over that one. But that is just me. I hope it sells well, though.
Old 9/29/05, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@September 29, 2005, 3:44 PM
The numbed down the design from the concept. Shame on you Ford!!! The concept looked much cleaner. Also, whats the deal with the wheel gap?

Amazing...."shame on you Ford"??? For what , building their coolest convertible since the 60's? Unbelievable ingratitude. We get a 475 hp
(+ or -) convertible and some people are indignant that it is not a replica of a show car. So don't buy one...jeez.
Old 9/29/05, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by hayburner@September 29, 2005, 11:28 PM
Amazing...."shame on you Ford"??? For what , building their coolest convertible since the 60's? Unbelievable ingratitude. We get a 475 hp
(+ or -) convertible and some people are indignant that it is not a replica of a show car. So don't buy one...jeez.
I wouldn't buy a Shelby. Ford took a lot of the great design elements of the concept off this car. Hopefully, this isn't a production ready vehicle. Just shoving a high hp motor in a car doesn't make it cool. For the money they are asking, I would head straight to my Chevy dealer and buy a C6 Z51. Flame me on that choice, but it's a better performance car.
Old 9/29/05, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@September 29, 2005, 9:26 PM
V6 body parts?? The only thing I see borrowed from the V6 is the decklid badge, and they're just not going to spend money on that for these mules.
If you only see the decklid badge borrowed, well then, you are blind.
Only the front end is GT500, the rest is either V6 or GT. We are going to pay 45K+ just for 450+ crappy horses.
Old 9/29/05, 11:02 PM

All I can say is that hood looks FUGLY! I'm all set to get a GT 350 aka Bullitt aka California Special in 2007 or 2008... you can keep the GT 500.
Old 9/29/05, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@September 29, 2005, 9:42 PM
I wouldn't buy a Shelby. Ford took a lot of the great design elements of the concept off this car. Hopefully, this isn't a production ready vehicle. Just shoving a high hp motor in a car doesn't make it cool. For the money they are asking, I would head straight to my Chevy dealer and buy a C6 Z51. Flame me on that choice, but it's a better performance car.

So go buy a Vette with a handling package. If you think a Shelby Mustang is just about an engine you can't appreciate this car anyway.
The Z06 may be a "better" performance car by some standards, but not a Z51. All you'd see would be 6 tail-lights if you got a z51.
Old 9/30/05, 12:00 AM
GT Member

I think it looks nice and would look alot better if it had the splitter and painted mirrors and rockers.The performance is whats going to make this Mustang unique.
Old 9/30/05, 04:32 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hayburner@September 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
All you'd see would be 6 tail-lights if you got a z51.
Unlikely. The C6 will hit 60 mph in 4.2 seconds and the IRS suspension and chassis setup will easily outhandle ANY stock Mustang.

Only two significant gripes I have with the Shelby: the hood vents - which just look to "Lennox" for me - and the wheel-well gap.
Old 9/30/05, 05:48 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd like to see painted side mirrors, but the black rocker panels will blend with the black front splitter and black rear diffuser. So there are two V6-specific parts: rockers and the temporary faux fuel door.

Or maybe I am blind...
Old 9/30/05, 06:38 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the frustration with the mules we are seeing. I went to Manhattan to see the concept last year. There was so much about that car that was on mark. I knew that ground clearance wasn't realistic, but the rest seemed doable. The changes we are seeing don't thrill me, especially the hood, and yes functionallity is important. But I will reserve judgement until we see the final production vehicle at the next Detroit show.
Old 9/30/05, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by hayburner@September 30, 2005, 12:36 AM
So go buy a Vette with a handling package. If you think a Shelby Mustang is just about an engine you can't appreciate this car anyway.
The Z06 may be a "better" performance car by some standards, but not a Z51. All you'd see would be 6 tail-lights if you got a z51.
The engine IS the major selling point. If it had a 350hp engine, everyone would be complaining. The concept car distinguished itself from the 05-06 GT. This "pre-production" vehilce lost a lot of it's distinguishing charachteristics. I loved the bold old-school look of the concept. Sorry, I am disappointed. The C6 Z06 is a better performance car by every standard. As for the C6 Z51, it should hold it's own in the straights, but when the turns come, the Shelby will be seeing 4 tails in the distance. Anyone see a firm number for curb weight on the Shelby? Take into consideration that this car will be 150 lbs heaver than the coupe. That will put the Vert' at nearly 4000lbs
Old 9/30/05, 02:56 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

What ever happened to the hood's traditional stripes? Could it be Ford got embarrassed with those tacky stripes they put on the yellow coupe a few weeks back?
Old 9/30/05, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

i dont like it......i personaly think its way to plain.it looks like a regular GT with a front end kit on it and a hood......back in the 60's the shelbys could not of been mistaken for a regular mustang becasuse they accually did MAJOR things to the cars......i DO NOT like the hood at all. the thing needs scoops.
shelbys were known for there scoops.....besides the 65 shelby they made darastic changes to the car.but still there were things that set it apart........in conculsion it needs scoops and a different hood.
Old 9/30/05, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

If you think a Shelby Mustang is just about an engine you can't appreciate this car anyway.
Yeah, like what? The Shelby name? The Cobra emblems?
Face it, it is a $19k car with a $19k engine. Nothing else on the GT500 says anything special to me. Even the exterior look poorly put together in the details, at least in those pics (truck-like ride height, poorly flowing front chin to rockers, small wheels, cheap looking ricer hood "exhausts" that don't even look like they work, tacked on spoiler, etc.). I would expect more from a $45k car, and let's hope they deliver come production time (though I doubt it if they got Shelby out to take photos).

However, for those who think only about power, there is no better car, and probably never will be.
(that just isn't me)

Quick Reply: GT500 Convertible Officially Announced