Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Great day for FORD!

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/05, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great day if you are a FORD only fan. The day pics are released of new the Shelby GT500, GM pull plug on 08 models. Here's the article.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-123402.htm
Old 3/21/05, 07:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Idiot!"

once again K-Lutz screws the company over
Old 3/21/05, 07:21 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL !!!
Old 3/21/05, 07:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I for one (and I might get burned for this) think Bob Lutz is a great "car guy" and I thought his enthusiasm would really help out Chevy (not that I wanted to see that happen however). I always thought he would (and for a while seemed to) be to GM what John Coletti was for SVT...I guess not.
Old 3/21/05, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, if I were a Camaro guy...I would be on my way right now to fire bomb Bob Lutz's house. :flame2:
Old 3/21/05, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Even as a Mustang fan, I do not like to see Chevy pulling the plug on anything. I think it is better for us to have competition than to not.

Would you rather end up at a stoplight in your GT500 next to a WRX, or next to an SS?
Old 3/21/05, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm more willing to bet that without Lutz there is less chance of seeing a RWD camaro back sooner rather than later. GM has been a corporate mess for sometime. It has been run into the ground by bean counters, second/third and fourth guessers, and just plain ignorant execs. Too many divisions and too many people in charge who don't know what they are doing.
Old 3/21/05, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@March 21, 2005, 10:30 PM
I'm more willing to bet that without Lutz there is less chance of seeing a RWD camaro back sooner rather than later. GM has been a corporate mess for sometime. It has been run into the ground by bean counters, second/third and fourth guessers, and just plain ignorant execs. Too many divisions and too many people in charge who don't know what they are doing.
Good points, but didn't he pull the plug on the Camaro in the first place? I can't remember anymore.
Old 3/21/05, 09:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Pop over to GMInsidenews and read the comments there. There are some really PO'd folks on that forum. I can't say that I blame them.
Old 3/22/05, 12:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GM has hardly put out one truly new thing. Most of their 'new' cars and trucks are simply brought over from Opel/Vauxhall Holden, and the Colorado(from brazil). Just about anything they do come out with is already underdeveloped on day one. Pushrods, anyone??
Old 3/22/05, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I disagree with you, '66. This is not a great day for Ford fans. Competition brings out the best America has to offer, and keeps manufacturers honest.
I agree with Shock, I would rather burn an SS than a WRX any day of the year.
I have never owned a foreign car, and I probably never will.
Old 3/22/05, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Good points, but didn't he pull the plug on the Camaro in the first place? I can't remember anymore.
[/quote]

I think it was actually Ford that did.... they had secret operatives working on the inside.
Old 3/22/05, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@March 22, 2005, 10:30 AM
I think it was actually Ford that did.... they had secret operatives working on the inside.
Yeah, didn't Ford have a Special Operative Division, that was similar to the CIA or KGB?
Old 3/22/05, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I would necessarily agree that pushrods are "old technology". Both Chrysler and GM are doing alot with them and there is something to be said for a more compact engine and lighter weight engine.

I agree this is not good news. GM has some good products, just like Ford and Chrysler have good products. Everybody also has bad products. Right now GM isn't looking to good, so now they are going to their cash cow, which is trucks and SUV's. But they better do some thinking because full size truck and SUV sales will decline with the gas prices being high and if they stay high.
Old 3/22/05, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Doesn't the Saleen S7 have a pushrod? As long as they work well (and they, uh, do), who cares how "outdated" they are?

I agree with the comments above: we need more American-made RWD V-8 muscle to keep Ford on its toes. Without similar competition, Ford might be tempted, down the road, to go with the flow and give us 6's and 4's with AWD and that sort of nonesense.
Old 3/22/05, 09:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flyinlow@March 22, 2005, 11:05 AM
I would necessarily agree that pushrods are "old technology". Both Chrysler and GM are doing alot with them and there is something to be said for a more compact engine and lighter weight engine.

I agree this is not good news. GM has some good products, just like Ford and Chrysler have good products. Everybody also has bad products. Right now GM isn't looking to good, so now they are going to their cash cow, which is trucks and SUV's. But they better do some thinking because full size truck and SUV sales will decline with the gas prices being high and if they stay high.
I dunno, GM seems to be on a mission to screw things up right now. First they were going to be the rwd performance car king and now it is looking more and more likely that it will be "revenge of the Lumina". Ford hasn't had a bad vehicle debut since the Freestar IMHO, and future releases look fantastic. Chrysler is still slow in a few areas, but is definately looking better and has had a homerun or two of their own. Without doubt Ford is the car company to watch right now.

GM is just hurting, plain and simple.
Old 3/22/05, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

I didn't say I was excited. I said if you are a FORD ONLY fan. which I'm not. I like all auto makers. I'm refering to the people with the Calvin Bumper sticker peeing on a chevy sign. These are the people I think would be interested in the article.
Old 3/22/05, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well this means GM fall to 2nd place behind Toytoa now and Ford maybe go in 2nd place if GM keeps going down.
Old 3/22/05, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Well getting back to the threads title "Great Day for FORD!!"
Sad news from GM true, regardless of what we feel about GMs products , what they do and all they americans they employ arte affected by these developments.

But Im thrilled as heck with FORD right now. I never in all my wildest imagination ever dreamed I'd see the day Ford built a new Shelby Cobra GT500. The last Shelby built was a 69 model, and all the Shelby original cars have just skyrocketed in value right out of the average mans league.

Here we are in 05 with a brand new car true to its roots, with so much potential for modifying the looks, the performance, anything we want to personalize our cars to our own tastes. We have a new Shelby GT500 on its way, that some lucky bums , will be able to afford and buy(not me though, 40k+ will be out of my range) with the engine of a Ford GT, and supercar performance. Which will then open the slot between it and the our Musatng GTs for SE cars like maybe a SVT CObra, or MACH 1, or BOSS model or who knows whaT.

I think we are watching history being written right now for Ford entusiasts. This is like a rebirth of a new modern Muscle car era for Ford. Too bad the other brands are following along as well. It would be great to see some real reborn GTO's or Camero's , or Dodge Dusters and all that. I think of all the cars people had to choose from back in the early 60's, man what choices.

No doubt about it, you all watch these 07 Shelbys, they will be registered and serial numbered, and badged, and signed by ol Carrol Shelby and they will climb in value real fast. I can see dozens of people buying them and storing them away for future value.
Old 3/22/05, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

Stupid GM I want to see a new Camaro on the road so I can race it

Quick Reply: Great day for FORD!