Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

A few thoughts on Shelby availability

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/05, 09:43 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So all the reading I do on the web - including here - seems to suggest that there will be very few of these cars to go around; and seemingly not enough to satisfy demand. I'm not sure if they are making 7500 in total, or 7500 a year for two years. I think there were something like 14,500 original Shelbys made (don't have the exact figure), back in the day.

Many dealers are "claiming" that they're only going to be allocated one to three vehicles in total - and that's all they're going to get.

I see a couple of problems here:

1) If John Doe (cause everyone knows John's a big Shelby fan, cadaver or not) wants one of these cars, and goes in to his dealer and says "I want a Blue one," and his dealer says, "Sorry John, we're getting two, Black and Legend Lime, so you'll have to pick one of those colors...and by the way you look a little pasty today," then John is stuck having to accept a color he doesn't want? That kind of limited availability suggests to me that you won't have the opportunity to order the colors and specs that you want; that you'll have to take what the dealer gives you.

2) So let's say Ford makes this car for only one or two years. We're supposed to believe that at the end of that limited run, the top-tier SVT Mustang is just going to disappear? "Sorry folks, Ford ain't makin' no more ultra-high horsepower Mustangs - get over it."

I wonder if reports of this strictly limited run are being greatly exaggerated by Ford, and that after year one, they may look at the number of sales and people who still WANT to buy, and say, "Okay, we've changed our minds and decided to produce this car for two more years, at which point we'll pull it."

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion - and remember that HTT said they would build as many Shelbys as people wanted (within reason) - that this car will probably be made for three (possibly four) years, then morph into a non-Shelby SVT variation with the same power but slightly altered cosmetics and badging?

I just can't see Ford alienating that many potential SVT buyers who are willing to fork out the money for a Cobra, after the company has done all the engineering, tooling and spent all the advertising dough to promote it. Without a replacement, there'll be a gap in their lineup.
Old 10/6/05, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords: Pg 220
"He (HTT) says they are planning on building between 7,000 and 10,000 of the new Cobra GT500s per year. "Part of what SVT vehicles have always had is exclusivity, and we're going to keep the new Shelby Cobra exclusive. Ten years down the road at the Barrett-Jackson auction, what will be worth more, a base Corvette or an SVT Cobra? My suspicion is that the Cobra will be worth more."...
Old 10/7/05, 12:46 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by Paleoc@October 6, 2005, 10:59 PM
November Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords: Pg 220
"He (HTT) says they are planning on building between 7,000 and 10,000 of the new Cobra GT500s per year. "Part of what SVT vehicles have always had is exclusivity, and we're going to keep the new Shelby Cobra exclusive. Ten years down the road at the Barrett-Jackson auction, what will be worth more, a base Corvette or an SVT Cobra? My suspicion is that the Cobra will be worth more."...
So from that we can deduce two things:

1) There will be AT LEAST two years of production.
2) The original estimate of 7000 - 7500 per year has been expanded to possibly 10,000 - presumably to meet demand...which harkens back to what HTT said about making enough available for the people who really want - and can afford - one.

I still say that those who are determined to get one will be able to, despite what dealers tell you.
Old 10/7/05, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 7, 2005, 12:49 AM
So from that we can deduce two things:

1) There will be AT LEAST two years of production.
2) The original estimate of 7000 - 7500 per year has been expanded to possibly 10,000 - presumably to meet demand...which harkens back to what HTT said about making enough available for the people who really want - and can afford - one.

I still say that those who are determined to get one will be able to, despite what dealers tell you.
I would agree with your assumptions. I read the article as well and came away with the feeling that for anyone who wanted one, a Shelby would be available. In discussions I've had with my dealer, they have indicated that I will have the ability to order one with the colors and options (however limited they may be) that I desire. Of course, nothing is cast in stone yet but the news continues to be encouraging.

I also firmly believe SVT will continue to produce a top shelf performance Mustang similar to the GT500 after the Shelby ends production. It just won't be called a Shelby and will offer different styling and equipment options but will still deliver on performance.
Old 10/7/05, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

SVT wants to make a profit and they have been PROFITABLE. The 03 and 04 Mustangs sales showed how Ford can sell HIGH PERFORMANCE mustangs to more people. This will not change with the Shelby i believe. This isnt a rare limited edition like the Cobra R. This is the new COBRA Mustang badged as a Shelby to sell even MORE of them to enthusiasts.
And if a Dealership does not have the COLOR Shelby you want they can easily call another Dealer with the COLOR you want and make a Trade with them to sell you the ONE you want. So dont go thinking you have to buy what the Dealer has. Plus I do not believe at all that dealers will only get 1 to 3 Cars in Total. When Mustang Cobras we're limited to 5,000 a year the SVT dealers had more than 3. There are more SVT dealerships out there nowadays but I cannot believe that they will only get a couple in TOTAL! Thats SALESMAN talk right there to get you to RUSH in and BUY ONE ASAP!!
Sorry just my .02
Old 10/7/05, 12:19 PM
GT Member

I agree with much of what has been said in the thread and I also wanted just to throw my 2 cents out there:

Ford will build a Cobra (or top of the line mustang, whatever they call it) that is more powerful and all that over what the Shebly has). I mean come on, the mustangs 50th ann. is coming up soon (soon in terms of car development time) and there is no way Ford is going to hang up there hat after this one.

That is one of the "problems" with Cobras, Vettes, etc - once they build a car that is X powerful the next one has to be more so, or do something totally different - if not the buyers will all get pissed and it will hurt the car's overall image. I am in no way trying to start a war or anything, but look at the Mustang II...

Again just my opinion
Old 10/7/05, 02:59 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I'll give my tooooooooooooooo cents and prediction.

Everyone who wants one will be able to get one, although not at first. Expect the same ritual as with any other appealing car which has been introduced in the last few years. I don't recall anyone complaining they missed out on SEs or SVTs. Further reasoning, look at the Corvettes now, not everyone can afford them, even the coupe with discounts.
Old 10/7/05, 05:18 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@October 7, 2005, 2:02 PM
Everyone who wants one will be able to get one, although not at first.
Bang on.
Old 10/7/05, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@October 7, 2005, 7:21 PM
Bang on.
And don't forget a small detail pertaining to the hood, which killed the aggresive front end and the signature double stripes (notice the latest pics have no stripes). I wonder why? Apparently the proud Ford designers weren't too amused with the justified constructive criticism.

There might be a few more available than Ford anticipates. And BTW, the only way to camouflage that awful hood is by getting the car in black so that the Saleen look-a-like-wanna-be vents can ride incognito. So, lets keep banging on.

Old 10/8/05, 04:03 AM
Closet American

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@October 7, 2005, 9:48 PM
And don't forget a small detail pertaining to the hood, which killed the aggresive front end and the signature double stripes (notice the latest pics have no stripes). I wonder why? Apparently the proud Ford designers weren't too amused with the justified constructive criticism.

There might be a few more available than Ford anticipates. And BTW, the only way to camouflage that awful hood is by getting the car in black so that the Saleen look-a-like-wanna-be vents can ride incognito. So, lets keep banging on.

Actually, it was reported that the stripes have been deleted from the convertible only...as a stylistic choice. The coupe still gets them - though I suspect you can order your coupe with a stripe delete, since they're only going to be vinyl.

But yeah, the scoops are just plain gawd awful, cause they're not scoops at all, in point of fact, they're vents like you see in your home air conditioning unit.

I sure hope Ford doesn't drop the ball with the interior, too. I don't mind if they drop the leather necessarily, but at the very least please give us soft-touch, textured plastics on the dash (like the Fusion has), and improve the leather (and bolstering) on the seats.

And for god's sake, get the ride height right. Nothing worse than getting your Shelby and immediately having to lower it.
Old 10/8/05, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

I think it's pretty safe to assume the hood we've seen on the yellow mule is indeed the production hood.

I do hope Ford gives us the leather interior from the concept since they botched the hood so horribly.

I will be ordering mine in black without the stripes.
Old 10/8/05, 04:25 PM

Those stripes around the vents, what a beautiful sight!
I... I... I am getting so emotional.

Old 10/8/05, 07:14 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@October 8, 2005, 3:28 PM

Old 10/8/05, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Price will always be premium on these, but if you can really afford one, order it now...demand a minimum downpayment - fully refundable, of course.
Old 10/8/05, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby+October 8, 2005, 5:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ October 8, 2005, 5:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, it was reported that the stripes have been deleted from the convertible only...as a stylistic choice. The coupe still gets them - though I suspect you can order your coupe with a stripe delete, since they're only going to be vinyl.

But yeah, the scoops are just plain gawd awful, cause they're not scoops at all, in point of fact, they're vents like you see in your home air conditioning unit.

And for god's sake, get the ride height right. Nothing worse than getting your Shelby and immediately having to lower it.
[/b]

The shelby sits too low as it is, i live in NY and our roads stink, the car is low enough stock, it isnt like the 99 gt or the 68 shelby with the front end 18inchs higher than the back, lol. ride height is a preference, and if u have a flat driveway then u can have a low vehicle, otherwise u cant, thats why ford designs the new cars how they do, they take driveability into mind. The scoops are horrible and if i ever get a gt500 it will have the concept GT hood which a few vendors sell already.

<!--QuoteBegin-1 BULLITT
@October 8, 2005, 5:28 PM

[/quote]
Old 10/9/05, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@October 8, 2005, 7:52 PM
The scoops are horrible and if i ever get a gt500 it will have the concept GT hood which a few vendors sell already.
I agree, I love the concept hood. Who currently makes the concept hood? That's one of the best so far.
Old 10/9/05, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

well guys my 1.5 cents here. If the car is produced at or near 500 hp which HTT has already said it eventually will be, because of insurance reasons they can only lighten it. So look for something in the way of the z-06. Either way its going to be an awesome car and I am sure you will be able to get one by 08.

Roger
Old 10/9/05, 04:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fordracing200@October 8, 2005, 8:52 PM
concept GT hood which a few vendors sell already.

I havent seen any concept hoods. Care to shear?
Old 10/9/05, 04:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@October 7, 2005, 11:03 AM
When Mustang Cobras we're limited to 5,000 a year the SVT dealers had more than 3. There are more SVT dealerships out there nowadays but I cannot believe that they will only get a couple in TOTAL! Thats SALESMAN talk right there to get you to RUSH in and BUY ONE ASAP!!
Sorry just my .02

Problem is they wont be sold by ONLY SVT dealoers, but all dealers.
Old 10/10/05, 09:23 AM
GT Member

TMS The skinny The straight scoop....or as good as it gets anyway

Quick Reply: A few thoughts on Shelby availability