Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Considering Saleen SC281

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/05, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at possibly purchasing an 05 Saleen supercharged coupe instead of the GT convertible I have on order. I would end up trading my GTO in instead of keeping it along with the GT convertible. THe Saleen has the upgraded 20x10 wheels on the back with the Pirelli Pzero tires. It also has the upgraded brakes and differential and the Shaker 500 stereo. About the only thing its missing is the HID headlights and custom paint (its Sonic Blue).

I was impressed with the write up in MM&FF about the handling and the fact the car is conservatively rated at 400hp. They dyno'd it at 390 at the wheels. I know the price is high, but I also liked the fact that they really enjoyed the ride quality of the car, which I was concerned about with the big tires and wheels. They were very impressed with the handling, basically putting it on par with the Vette. I'm not a street racer or drag racer, so quarter mile times aren't real important to me. I also liked the exclusivity of the cars, it sounds like they are only building about 1400 of them this year. They had some gripes about the hood and skirts, but I think an adjustment would take care of the hood. The looks are love it or hate it, I love the looks except for the big whale tale spoiler but I could learn to live with it.

Does anyone know if there is any additional tuning that can be done on a Saleen?

Also, given the money, would you buy the Saleen or a Corvette?

I know the GT500 is coming, but lets face it, that will be a waiting list and a bidding war unless you're intimate friends with a dealer. I have a little flexibility with this dealer because they would like to move the Saleen.

I'm going to go look at it in a day or two to see if I like it.
Old 7/26/05, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@July 26, 2005, 7:47 PM
I'm looking at possibly purchasing an 05 Saleen supercharged coupe instead of the GT convertible I have on order. I would end up trading my GTO in instead of keeping it along with the GT convertible. THe Saleen has the upgraded 20x10 wheels on the back with the Pirelli Pzero tires. It also has the upgraded brakes and differential and the Shaker 500 stereo. About the only thing its missing is the HID headlights and custom paint (its Sonic Blue).

I was impressed with the write up in MM&FF about the handling and the fact the car is conservatively rated at 400hp. They dyno'd it at 390 at the wheels. I know the price is high, but I also liked the fact that they really enjoyed the ride quality of the car, which I was concerned about with the big tires and wheels. They were very impressed with the handling, basically putting it on par with the Vette. I'm not a street racer or drag racer, so quarter mile times aren't real important to me. I also liked the exclusivity of the cars, it sounds like they are only building about 1400 of them this year. They had some gripes about the hood and skirts, but I think an adjustment would take care of the hood. The looks are love it or hate it, I love the looks except for the big whale tale spoiler but I could learn to live with it.

Does anyone know if there is any additional tuning that can be done on a Saleen?

I know the GT500 is coming, but lets face it, that will be a waiting list and a bidding war unless you're intimate friends with a dealer. I have a little flexibility with this dealer because they would like to move the Saleen.

I'm going to go look at it in a day or two to see if I like it.
We have a black supercharged saleen at Puente Hills ford city of industry ca Call me if your interested Dennis Kampen 1-800-709-2216
Old 7/26/05, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

If I had the money, and didn't need the back seat of the Mustang, I would get the Vette (though I have yet to drive a Saleen like I have driven the Vette). Drive them both and decide for yourself.

But, if exclusivity is your bag, than I would by...
a Panoz.

As far as tuning on a Saleen -- there is always more you can do (just look at the extreme). I just don't think they are worth the money out of the box. But, they certainly do come with all the goodies.
Old 7/26/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Well,

Here is my opinion.

Buy a Mustang GT ( Say you have to pay MSRP or about 30K )

Buy a Saleen Super charger ( or vortec ) for $4-$5K.

Have it installed and tuned for 1K ( Will out perform Saleen model due to tuning )

Add new springs, shocks and sway bars for 1K

You have the preformance of the saleen super charged model for around $37K...

As for the vette comparison, I would have to say that the coup vette is a much better car. The suspension of the C6 is far superior to that in any of the mustangs. One drive of the C6 and you will know what I mean....

If I was going to plunk down 45K + I would have to get the vette.....

Again, just my opinion.....
Old 7/26/05, 08:56 PM
GT Member

What sranger said.

You can buy everything that's on the Saleen SC except for the differential and have it installed for AT LEAST $10k less than what the Saleen will cost and you'll have a convertible.
Old 7/26/05, 09:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Flyinlow@July 26, 2005, 9:47 PM
You might like to check your options with the Corvette. A friend of mine told me any GM employee or family members are eligible for discounts on the '05s.
Old 7/26/05, 09:52 PM
GTR Member

George, you own the best car ever made, why would u wanna downgrade to a vette?
Old 7/27/05, 01:02 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 26, 2005, 11:03 PM
You might like to check your options with the Corvette. A friend of mine told me any GM employee or family members are eligible for discounts on the '05s.
Unless its like Ford where its on MOST cars but not the Mustang.
Old 7/27/05, 03:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think sranger nailed it, the only thing I would add is the price of wheels and tires. The Saleen does have some monster rubber. You can buy the Saleen blower with JDM 6 psi pulley, brakes, and suspension for you're GT.
Old 7/27/05, 05:28 AM
V6 Member

Do the Saleen's come with a warrenty? If you do all that stuff to a GT you are bound to risk having something go wrong and not being covered by the warranty. Not that this is a reason not to do it, just something to think about.
Old 7/27/05, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by gabriel05@July 27, 2005, 7:31 AM
Do the Saleen's come with a warrenty? If you do all that stuff to a GT you are bound to risk having something go wrong and not being covered by the warranty. Not that this is a reason not to do it, just something to think about.

A while back they were 12,000/1Year. Maybe some one else can update that.
Old 7/27/05, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I say Vette! If the Saleen only comes w/ a 1 year warranty, than I would mod the GT to make my own Saleen killer!
Old 7/27/05, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input. The Saleen does come with the standard 3/36,000 mile warranty. As gabriel05 said, if I have all this done on the GT warranty issues could be fun. There is also the cost of the body kit and wheels, along with all the parts and someone to do all the work. I don't know that I would save that much money.

I can't use my GM supplier discount right now on a Vette, but that seems to change monthly. Also, trying to get a dealer to budge on a vette is like trying to get a dealer to budge on a Mustang, it can be done, but you have to look long and hard and I haven't found one yet thats reasonbly close that has the Vette I want. They also won't even talk to you about ordering an 06 yet with the GM discount.

Thanks for the input, it helps.
Old 7/27/05, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Look at it this way...

The saleen will cost you more than 10K ( more like 12-15K ) over a modified GT.

You can fix a lot of stuff for 10K and if nothing breaks, you are way ahead of the game. Keep in mind that FORD cannot deny any warrantee item not directly related to the modifications, If a tie rod broke for example, it would still be covered even if you add a SC.

I think that the Saleen SC will be quite safe if you have a good shop do a proper tune on the car....
Old 7/27/05, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Saleen and Ford havs a deal where Saleen products are covered like FRPP products. This should help with warranty problems.
Old 7/29/05, 09:55 AM

Saleens come with a 3 yr /36,000 mile.

When "adding parts" do not forget the following:
Wheels & tires
Suspension
Interior
- seats
- dash
- shifter
Body Style
- Front / rear / sides
- Wing
- Hood
Other Options
- HIDs
- Brakes

And the fact that it comes with a bumper number, and will be listed as a Factory Saleen in the Registry
Old 7/29/05, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Check out this month's MM&FF

The SC saleen ran 12.9 in the 1/4 mile...for $56k

the JDS tuned stang, with simple bolt ons ran 12.5....for MSRP + mods (~32k).

You aren't paying for the power....don't kid yourself. You are paying for the name and the pieces of plastic Saleen puts on the car.

Get yourself a stock GT, nice body kit, bolt ons, and paint for about half the price. And thats without a Supercharger. You will have a better looking (more unique) and faster car.
Old 7/29/05, 11:55 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I think that this time around Saleen really produced a POS, it doesnt hold up to their previous cars in quality or workmanship, it seems as though they spent too much time on the work they were doing on the S7 and Ford GT and then suddenly realized they were running out of time and had to produce the Stang, that and since the loss of the 351 Saleens havent really been worth purchasing IMO. I would either hold off and wait for a Roush Stage 3, buy a new Z06 or save some money and buy last years Z06 brand new, you can still find them and they are going real cheap (for a Z06) because of the new C6. Or if you want a lot of power with a similiar price range and something totally unique go for a Noble M12

Nobel M12 GTO-3
Price: $77,000
Curb Weight: 2315 lbs
Layout: Mid-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: Turbocharged V6
Displacement: 3000 cc
Horsepower: 340 bhp
Torque: 340 lb-ft
Performance
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: 9.4 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.5 sec
Skidpad: 1.15g
Top Speed: 170 mph

They have a couple of different models of the M12 all around the same price w/ about the same power and performance but slightly different looks if your not into this one....this is the second from the top M12s they also have an M14 which has more power and IMO looks way better but I am not sure on the price....

Other choices
TVR Tuscan S
Price: $70,000
Curb Weight: 2400 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Engine
Type: Inline-6
Displacement: 3996 cc
Horsepower: 390 bhp @ 7500 rpm
Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: 9.2 sec
Top Speed: 195+ mph

Lotus Esprit
Price: $71,000
Miles Per Gallon: 20 mpg
Curb Weight: 2968 lbs
Layout: Mid-Engine/RWD
Engine
Type: Twin-Turbo V8
Displacement: 3500 cc
Horsepower: 350 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 295 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 4.4 sec
0-100 mph: 11.0 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.0 sec @ 112 mph
Skidpad: .93g
Top Speed: 175 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 125 ft
Slalom Speed: 68.3 mph

there are a lot of choices all way better than a Saleen, I know they are a little more but they are light years beyond the crap Saleen is producing.
Old 7/29/05, 12:58 PM

Just some FYI

You can not simply go to the dealership here in the US and purchase a Noble or a TVR.

Also note that Lotus is not making the Esprit for 2005.

If you are going to compare performance of a 4 seater (Mustang based) vehicle to a 2 seater (insert make here), do you really expect the 4 seater to be the ultimate performance vehicle? I would expect the 2 seater to win EVERY time.
Old 7/29/05, 01:29 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

well he was originally comparing the Saleen (4 seats) to the Corvette (2 seats) and yes you can just walk into a dealership and get one of those cars you just need to know where to go, and if you are interested I can hook you up with the owner of Symbolic and they can get it if they dont have it and have it delivered to you no problem....

Quick Reply: Considering Saleen SC281