Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Cobra for 60k? That's Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/06, 05:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(backafter20 @ February 1, 2006, 10:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, Kevin, I do agree that no dealer should be lying or misleading anyone, and if they are intentionally doing so in order to make a high-profit sale, then yes they have no integrity. It's ok to separate a willing and understanding fool from his money, but not one that you've duped. I am not as optomistic as you are as far as the availability on the new Shelby, though. I truly hope that you are correct in that they may depreciate like other cars. I could see buying a used one in that case. I just can't afford it otherwise. When I mentioned Barret-Jackson, I was talking about the new Shelby, not the old collectibles. Seeing what it went for, I can see how maybe they are hyping the rarity a bit. Or maybe the tax-deductible charity thing drove it higher? Anyway, I just noticed your signature and see that you are in line for a new GT500. I hope things work out well for you and you get a decent deal. Drive the snot out of it for a few years, then fix it up and mothball it. It'll be worth a fortune some day. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
I don't know how long you have been following the Mustangs, but, every time they bring out a new, special one it gets touted as a "super-rare, short run, limited production car that you better get now or you will never get one and they'll be worth millions someday." Cobras, Mach 1s, Bullitts have all gone through the same process. For that matter, the Z06, M3, Evo, STi and anything else special go through it, too.

The 2003/2004 Z06 (used, of course) are going for low 30s now. When they first came out, they were stickered in the 50s and getting AMV. 03/04 Cobras were getting 2-10k over sticker. By the end of the run they were being bought new for 8k below sticker. Ford is already saying they will produce 10k/year for at least 2 years. The car will be hot, no doubt. Supply will catch up with demand eventually and Ford will keep making them until they can't sell any more.

I understand if people don't believe that. I am nervous about it, too. But, I'm not going to get suckered into paying too much for this car.
Old 2/2/06, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is an example. When the Ford GT came out, people paid upwards of 250 to 300K. This auction just ended with no bids, no reserve and no takers for 149K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 2/2/06, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

That makes me feel pretty good! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] There could be a used Shelby in my future yet! I don't mind used, 'cause I don't want a show car. I want a driver! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img] Once I got one though, it would be a family heirloom. I still think the Shelby name holds power over value, and that once he's gone, the prices will go up. I missed out on being able to afford all of the really cool cars of the 60's and I'm glad I have a second chance. Good luck with yours Kevin!
Old 2/2/06, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(backafter20 @ February 2, 2006, 4:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That makes me feel pretty good! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] There could be a used Shelby in my future yet! I don't mind used, 'cause I don't want a show car. I want a driver! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img] Once I got one though, it would be a family heirloom. I still think the Shelby name holds power over value, and that once he's gone, the prices will go up. I missed out on being able to afford all of the really cool cars of the 60's and I'm glad I have a second chance. Good luck with yours Kevin!
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Jim.

I doubt I'll ever sell mine either. Not necessarily because it is a Shelby, but, I have always wanted to order a new car, baby it, but, drive it, and keep it until I am too old to enjoy it. Then, my son will be the lucky recipient of a really nice old hot rod.

The days just aren't clicking by fast enough. Come on Job 1.
Old 2/2/06, 03:35 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ February 2, 2006, 5:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Jim.

I doubt I'll ever sell mine either. Not necessarily because it is a Shelby, but, I have always wanted to order a new car, baby it, but, drive it, and keep it until I am too old to enjoy it. Then, my son will be the lucky recipient of a really nice old hot rod.

The days just aren't clicking by fast enough. Come on Job 1.
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stupid.gif[/img]

Same reason why I want the Shelby. And Job 1 is killing me too...slower than Christmas!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

I would say the problem is that ford isn't making a number sufficient to the demand. If you have 20,000 buyers make at least 18,000 cars! Assuming they are making a profit on each car sold at msrp crank out sufficient numbers to satisfy the customer base. Especially since the company isn't exactly overloaded with hot selling models.

I'm sure there is some sort of business reason that I'm over looking... but that said, when your company is losing money every year, selling a lot of cars seems like a way to help you remedy the situation. But that's just my opionion american to give me yours call 1800 L A C T O S E.
Old 2/5/06, 07:34 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eric n @ February 5, 2006, 3:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would say the problem is that ford isn't making a number sufficient to the demand. If you have 20,000 buyers make at least 18,000 cars! Assuming they are making a profit on each car sold at msrp crank out sufficient numbers to satisfy the customer base. Especially since the company isn't exactly overloaded with hot selling models.

I'm sure there is some sort of business reason that I'm over looking... but that said, when your company is losing money every year, selling a lot of cars seems like a way to help you remedy the situation. But that's just my opionion american to give me yours call 1800 L A C T O S E.
[/b][/quote]

Reality is when a hot car like the GT-500 is announced, everybody and their brother says that they got to have one. It looks like they could sell 100,000 of them.

Then that hot car goes into production and most of those would be buyers somehow fade away. By the end of the production run they are sitting on dealer lots begging to be sold. Doesn't anyone rememeber how Ford had to but big incentives on the 04 Mach 1s and Termonators to clear them out?
Old 2/5/06, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V10 @ February 5, 2006, 9:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Reality is when a hot car like the GT-500 is announced, everybody and their brother says that they got to have one. It looks like they could sell 100,000 of them.

Then that hot car goes into production and most of those would be buyers somehow fade away. By the end of the production run they are sitting on dealer lots begging to be sold. Doesn't anyone rememeber how Ford had to but big incentives on the 04 Mach 1s and Termonators to clear them out?
[/b][/quote]
That is exactly why. The car is hot, but, when it comes to actual buyers, the car won't sell much more than 10k/year. The "gotta have its" will die out as soon as the AMV and hype do. Then, we will buy cars at normal prices.
Old 2/5/06, 09:48 PM
V6 Member

Thats exactly it there are got to have it guys just to say they got to have it. Then when its time to buck up with the money, then some people change there minds.. So 10,000 units with less then 10,000 people who actually put there money up....
Old 2/8/06, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lethaljay @ January 30, 2006, 8:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
WOW! I was just doing some research on one dealer that is located here in Wichita, Kansas, about the Shelby Cobra. This dealer is definitely not my favorite and not the dealership where I bought my Mustang. This dealership has been known to jack up the prices on new Mustangs. Here is an example: They wanted to sell a 2005 V6 Mustang with 16,000 miles for 24,998!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

Well, onto my email to this dealership. I was just playing like I had a lot of money and that I "MUST HAVE" the new Cobra. I found out that this particular dealer plans it will receive two 2007 Cobras. I then asked them exactly how much they plan to sell them for. Here are his exact words, "as far as price there is speculation of double the sticker, but we just don't know."

$80,000+ FOR A COBRA?!?!?! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

I guess if you are dieing for a new cobra bend over 'cause here it comes!
[/b][/quote]

What a bunch of con-artists. That's what happens when trash gets a hold of a good car. Not to be nit-picky but it isn't a Cobra, it's a Shelby.
Old 2/9/06, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

For that I'll just buy a GT and drop in a modded terminator engine and basiclly destroy every Cobra on the street.
Old 2/9/06, 03:32 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TehSLeeper @ February 9, 2006, 2:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For that I'll just buy a GT and drop in a modded terminator engine and basiclly destroy every Cobra on the street.
[/b][/quote]

Yah If I can't get a Shelby for sticker i'm going to drop in a most awesome engine/supercharge up to 650 hp and make everyone cry [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]