Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Alternate plan of attack

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/05, 06:43 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Before I get the "turncoat" label I'll explain. A few weeks back I sold my mint Bullitt in anticipation of the upcoming SVT Cobra, which turns out to be the Shelby instead, which it's fine, but I am getting a bad feeling about it. Like the SEs of the past 4 years, the possibility of GT500 being in great demand for the first couple of thousands is real. The hope of the demand leveling off after that is a 50/50 shot, is not. I wanted to replace the Bullitt with a muscle car of equal or higher performance of the '03 - '04 Cobra, therefore, in planning ahead I am considering other choices.

The Corvette coupe is my next choice in line. The last 3 years during the summer months, discounts and rebates have combined to up to $10K savings making it an appealing thought. I figure this year rebates will not be available but next year should be a different story. Also, I am fortunate to be eligible to GM's GMS Suppliers' buyer plan which as of 02/01/05 includes the Vette coupe for any dealer which decides to honor it.

Are any of you thinking what I am thinking?
Old 4/2/05, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um ... no? The GT500 *is* a muscle car of greater performance than the '03-'04 Cobra. Ford has said they'll build as many as people want, which means if you get an order in when they open up the order banks, you'll get your car sooner than later.
Old 4/2/05, 07:30 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@April 2, 2005, 5:46 AM
Are any of you thinking what I am thinking?
Yep. I've been considering a 03/04 Z06 for about 6 months now. The only reason I don't have one already is that I was waiting for the unveiling of the GT500. So now I find myself in the position of deciding which I want more, now that we have a good idea of what the GT500 is going to be.
Old 4/2/05, 08:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By next summer, my Mach 1 will be paid for in full. something new will be in my garage. What that will be, remains to be seen.
Old 4/2/05, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If you are afraid of low production, well, I can't help you there.

But I can help you in the area of the Corvette: It's ugly. Why would you want that?

It doesn't even have flip headlights, and it still looks like they stopped designing at the back end. And it's only 2 seats, with very little utility. Which if you never plan to use it for anything other than a toy, that'd be ok.

It's not really apples to apples, I understand that, but still. It's not attractive. But that's me. If the C6 looked like the 69-82 Vettes, then I'd be of a way different opinion, BTW.

If you like it, fine, get one. I want the Shelby. Looks better, and performance enough to suit me fine, thank you. That front end is the awesome
Old 4/2/05, 08:49 AM

Whatever I wind up buying will be the weekend fun car. I estimate the annual average miles at three thousand, give or take, a similar pattern as with the Bullitt, so that it is a two seater will not be a deciding factor.

My third choice would be a low mileage 3-4 year old Viper. But I would have to be lucky enough to find a pampered garage queen.
Old 4/2/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat. Trade in my current car on a new Vette or keep it and add the Shelby when it comes out. If the price of the Cobra goes over 40 I'd go Corvette. Since it is going to be a long wait for the Cobra maybe you could pick up an older C5 to drive for awhile George? If you don't like it over the next two years dump it for a new Cobra.

I'd personally stay away from the Viper. It is still too expensive for a used car, no where near as comfortable as the Vette, and the hood is an insurance nightmare if something happens. As you mentioned, they are also hard to find what you want because of Dodge changing paint schemes all the time. The Vette should also be a little cheaper to insure than your 03-04 Cobra.
Old 4/2/05, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

I dont see who wouldnt be thinking that. The problem I have is Ford should have made it or should make a better all around sports car. If Ford keeps the price in line with the 03-04 cobra than the price difference is still relatively large assuming the vette coupe doesnt get 10k in discounts.
Old 4/2/05, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll look at the Z06 and M3, but, I have had my heart set on a Cobra for a few years. This car exceeded my expectations and I am now enamored with this car. I'll look at the others, but, likely wait for the Shelby regardless.
Old 4/3/05, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@April 2, 2005, 12:21 PM
... Since it is going to be a long wait for the Cobra maybe you could pick up an older C5 to drive for awhile George?
I won't buy a car I know I will get rid of, that could cost a few thousands of dollars which I can save for a down payment. I'll wait until the summer of '06 when hopefully I'll have a good down payment and make the desicion then.
Old 4/3/05, 02:07 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Geroge,

I see your point, you probably will get bent-over with the price of a SVT, especailly given the fact that it seems Florida likes to markup vehicles.

Although it hasn't been confirmed, I suspect there will be some kind of S/E out in '07 or '08 to compliment the SVT. Have you considered waiting until something is revealed for that as an option?

Regardless of my opinion of its looks, the Corvette is a fantastic perfoming car.
Old 4/3/05, 02:15 PM

If Ford announces a SE at SEMA or Detroit I would absolutely consider it, specially if it were made available in my favorite color.

Now, if Ford gives the GT500 a DHG, not only will I have have to pay the darn markup, I'll be kissing lots of ...
... DARN FILTERS!!!

Old 4/3/05, 02:21 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Considering Ford will not have any competition in 07-08 from the General, who knows if they will bother with an S/E unitl S197 sales start dropping, perhaps in '09 given that a mid-cycle refreshening is probably due in 2010 or so.

Given that, it is truly a shame that Dark Green isn't on the color pallete yet. I would cancel my '05 order for an '06 if I knew I could get DHG
Old 4/3/05, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

do you have yourself on any type of a waiting list? I am also holding out for the GT500, with no current vehicle, I'm number 25 a local dealers waiting list but frankly I don't think that holds much weight but I do think it'll give me a better shot at having a chance to order one in the first model year, as for a back up I would start looking for a mint '99 S351, '03-'04 Saleen Cobra or a new '06-'07 saleen S281E. basically it's gotta be a mustang of some sort with plenty of power under the hood.
Old 4/3/05, 04:58 PM

Being #25 seems like a long shot at best since the dealer would need to have a high allocation and the way a lot shark dealers work, I am not sure if that would be a benefit. Ordering and signing an agreement to a price is a bit more secure. The other choice is waiting and buying one off the lot.
Old 4/3/05, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

I know but i figured better to get on one than not, since there's always the possibility that not all 24 people in front of me will buy one a year from now, never know what can happen in a year, also they are the number svt dealer in southern california, I think that's pretty darn good considering the number of '03-'04 svt's i see on the road here, so i'm guess they'll be given a good number of GT500's to sell. another thing to consider I see on a lot of different sites that everyone wants one but not everyone is going to be able to afford one not to mention insurance cost.
Old 4/3/05, 07:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Justin, yeah, I thought about insurance too. I've got a clean record, but with 450+HP, my agent will be one happy guy if I get one.
Old 4/4/05, 01:14 AM
V6 Member

yeah, your talking a hefty car payment for those who can't drop 40k+ which is a lot of money a long with a hefty insurance payment with a GOOD record. This is going to be a fairly expensive car i mean after all it is a ford mustang not a porsche. just my .02
Old 4/4/05, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+April 3, 2005, 3:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ April 3, 2005, 3:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@April 2, 2005, 12:21 PM
... Since it is going to be a long wait for the Cobra maybe you could pick up an older C5 to drive for awhile George?
I won't buy a car I know I will get rid of, that could cost a few thousands of dollars which I can save for a down payment. I'll wait until the summer of '06 when hopefully I'll have a good down payment and make the desicion then.
[/b][/quote]

I agree w/ you. I don't see the point of getting a "temp" just to turn around and re-sell it. Like you said, that's $$$ you could have used as a down payment on the one you really want and what are the odds that you will make any money or break even on the "temp"?

I bought a '98 Honda Passport for my wife last January. 98K miles, 2WD, auto. for $8K. We put approximately 5K miles on it and sold it last month for $6K, cash. But that went towards purchasing an '00 Expedition, from my parents. I'm not angry, 'cause its a long story w/ A LOT of factors weighing in. But, if it had been completely up to me, I would have waited on the Expedition w/o going thru the hassle of the Passport.

Quick Reply: Alternate plan of attack