Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

5000 Units only?

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 03:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by TheMustangSource@April 4, 2005, 2:54 PM
SVT Director Hau Thai-Tang and SVT Marketing & Sales Manager George Ayres both told me personally that they'd make 5000-7500.
I would never doubt the information you relay to us. Your integrity will not be questioned.

Now, with that said, a high in the food chain Ford rep personally announced the production for the Bullitt would be 5,000, followed by a 6,000 mark, followed by "everyone who wants a Bullitt will get one", with rumors of as low as 3,000, even though 2,500 were ordered in the first 10 days, and as high as 7,500, before finally settling on 5,582.

Then we had the '03 Mach 1. "Ford plans to produce 6,500 of this limited edition legend", which turned out to be almost 10,000 2003 Mach 1s, followed by a second production year in 2004. That's a long way off the original estimate.

My point is, projections can and will change. There are too many variables involved.
Old 4/4/05, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the answer to all this is simple. Ford will continue to build future specialty models like this in "limited production" numbers for as long as there are buyers (and stinkers) that will sell their souls to get them. It's the easy way to keep demand up and prices high (including continual markup market adjustments for dealers), while not watering down the products "exclusivity" by making each new specialty car available to everyone.
Most cars like these will probably end up in the hands of those that are willing to part with 50K minimun...after the bidding wars begin.
Old 4/4/05, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some will be bought at 50K (fools), but, most will be bought at normal pricing and eventually some at discounts. We are ecstatic about this car. Several will join our enthusiasm. Eventually, this will become another Cobra/Mach 1/Bullitt and sell at normal levels.
Old 4/4/05, 05:27 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

It's simple guys, it's called MARKETING.

The game is: You announce that it will be limited production with a small production #. This gets potential customers to commit to purchasing one instead of waiting around to see what happens because they become afraid that the SE will be sold out. Then Ford turns around and increases the production #s. This is exactly what Ford did with the Mach 1. The dealers love this too because they can get big markups on many of the SEs they sell too.
Old 4/4/05, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by LXXVI-II@April 4, 2005, 5:08 PM
... Ford will continue to build future specialty models like this in "limited production" numbers for as long as there are buyers (and stinkers) that will sell their souls to get them...

You're not implying that Ford and its dealers are plotting to take advantage of our compulsive-obsessive-enthusiastic-car crazy behavior, are you?

Old 4/4/05, 05:49 PM

Here's the deal. Not many people know anything about Cobras and secondly, Ford never sells that many in the first place. So why should this generation be any different?
Old 4/4/05, 06:44 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by TRMach1+April 4, 2005, 1:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TRMach1 @ April 4, 2005, 1:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TheMustangSource@April 4, 2005, 1:54 PM
SVT Director Hau Thai-Tang and SVT Marketing & Sales Manager George Ayres both told me personally that they'd make 5000-7500.
Yeah Brad, and when I placed the order for my Mach 1 in May of 2002, I was told by these same types, "only 9500 will be made in 2003 only." You see how that turned out? You can't believe what these people say, they're all car salesmen for Christ's sake!! And if I'm not mistaken that oft quoted line about making all the GT 500's they can sell, is actually from Carroll Shelby. You sat next to him at dinner, what did he have to say about the subject? He's about the only one out of the bunch I would believe, since he usually tells it like it is, but he's probably got a touch of Alzhiemers at his age.
[/b][/quote]
Look at the way this guy talks about one of the main people (if not the main person) behind the S197 and the GT500
Old 4/4/05, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TheMustangSource@April 4, 2005, 1:54 PM
Was that annually and were the number of years to be produced shared?
Old 4/4/05, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@April 4, 2005, 8:47 AM
Ok, just got back from my SVT dealer and spoke with the vice prez over there ( a long time friend of mine).

Anyone notice every time a statement starts that way it turns out to be false?

"I just got back from my dealer and he said................"
Old 4/4/05, 08:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Marias@April 4, 2005, 6:52 PM
Here's the deal. Not many people know anything about Cobras and secondly, Ford never sells that many in the first place. So why should this generation be any different?
Have you been sleeping for the past few weeks????
Old 4/4/05, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, seems my friend may not be too far off the mark even though the info on the car is new. About the only thing he promised me was "sticker" price if i get the car. He understands there will be a mark-up on the car and the best he can do for me is sticker. I'll know by next week if he'll take a deposit on the car and what my chances are of getting it.

As of now, i'm selling some of my toys for a big down payment. Anyone interested in a pair of '66 Fairlanes? (6 cyl and 390 car)
Old 4/5/05, 03:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Per year, or over the two to three years of the production run?
Old 4/5/05, 03:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

The bottom line is that those who absolutely, positively must have it "like yesterday" will be taken advantage of by dealers who see them coming from a mile away. It's always been this way.

If you can wait past the feeding frenzy period - and can afford the car - rest assured you'll get one.
Old 4/5/05, 06:34 AM

A $1,000 rebate (Chevy is calling it allowance) on the Corvette takes effect today, that's in addition to honoring their x-plan version. It will not be a good day for those who paid thousands over MSRP a few months back.
Old 4/5/05, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

For me, I have always been a Mustang/Ford/Shelby freak. I have owned 10 Mustangs including 2 Shelbys (one a convertible). I have been waiting for them to retro the Mustang since 1978 (I have owned a few after that), and have been rabidly awaiting the Shelby, [b]BUT I REFUSE[b] to pay over sticker, even if that means not buying the car.

I am #1 on a waiting list at a reputable Ford dealer (no deposit, I asked), but that doesn't mean all that much (who knows what will happen when the car becomes orderable, with dealer greed). Can I get hooked-in? Only time will tell, especially since I want a convertible...
I could be setting myself up for a BIG disappointment. :cry:
Old 4/5/05, 07:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Marias@April 4, 2005, 5:52 PM
I agree with Maria. I walk around the office and the subject about buying summer toys comes up and I start talking about Harley’s and the new Shelby and everyone looks at me and says your getting a Shelby? I say well when it comes out next year I’ll look at them. Then they say OH it’s a new model of the Mustang that Ford is coming out with now, which I reply yes and they just yawn. Now if I had said I was buying a ’67 then they would have been excited. I showed a friend of mine the Shelby pictures and one day in the parking lot there was a new V6 with stripes on it and he said look someone got one early that person must have a bunch of money. I said got what early they have V6 Mustangs at all the dealers. He said isn’t that the new Shelby? Get my point and Maria’s about the general public and this car? Even most of us who are all excited about this car can’t afford it or justify it anyway. There will be plenty of GT 500’s for everyone who can afford and justify buying one, IMO.
Old 4/5/05, 09:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+April 4, 2005, 6:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thezeppelin8 @ April 4, 2005, 6:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TRMach1@April 4, 2005, 1:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TheMustangSource
@April 4, 2005, 1:54 PM

Yeah Brad, and when I placed the order for my Mach 1 in May of 2002, I was told by these same types, "only 9500 will be made in 2003 only." You see how that turned out? You can't believe what these people say, they're all car salesmen for Christ's sake!! And if I'm not mistaken that oft quoted line about making all the GT 500's they can sell, is actually from Carroll Shelby. You sat next to him at dinner, what did he have to say about the subject? He's about the only one out of the bunch I would believe, since he usually tells it like it is, but he's probably got a touch of Alzhiemers at his age.
Look at the way this guy talks about one of the main people (if not the main person) behind the S197 and the GT500
[/b][/quote]
Well the Pope just died, and I don't think any of these guys are in line for his job!
Old 4/7/05, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, went to the dealer today and plunked down my deposit. This is going to be an emotional rollercoaster until the very end!! I'm gonna dub this mission as: "Against all odds". Wish me luck fellas, i'm in the pool !!
Old 4/8/05, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slavehand+April 4, 2005, 2:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slavehand @ April 4, 2005, 2:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Eleanor Dreaming@April 4, 2005, 2:13 PM
It's in the Autoweek article.
I know that, I subscribe and read Autoweek, but I've also read that quote in another publication and as soon as I find it this evening, I'll post it.
[/b][/quote]

Is there a :foot in mouth: icon anywhere? I need to READ beore I write 'cause I couldn't find the "other" article anywhere, sorry.
Old 4/8/05, 06:06 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Loch+April 5, 2005, 7:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loch @ April 5, 2005, 7:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Marias@April 4, 2005, 5:52 PM
I agree with Maria. I walk around the office and the subject about buying summer toys comes up and I start talking about Harley’s and the new Shelby and everyone looks at me and says your getting a Shelby? I say well when it comes out next year I’ll look at them. Then they say OH it’s a new model of the Mustang that Ford is coming out with now, which I reply yes and they just yawn. Now if I had said I was buying a ’67 then they would have been excited. I showed a friend of mine the Shelby pictures and one day in the parking lot there was a new V6 with stripes on it and he said look someone got one early that person must have a bunch of money. I said got what early they have V6 Mustangs at all the dealers. He said isn’t that the new Shelby? Get my point and Maria’s about the general public and this car? Even most of us who are all excited about this car can’t afford it or justify it anyway. There will be plenty of GT 500’s for everyone who can afford and justify buying one, IMO.
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree here too. When I was telling people I was going to New York for the weekend to a car show to see the new GT500 nobody had a clue to what I was talking about. Even guys where I work who are into cars needed me to point out the differences in the Motor Trend article between the Shelby and a Mustang GT. Brad's board and others like it are filled with enthusiasts, but we don't make up a very large percentage of the market.