Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

2005 Saleen depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi guys/gals...

whats everyone opinion on this?

Do you think it'll hold value over the years or once the cobra comes out will it plummet in value?

When the S/C version comes out, will the non S/C version just plummet in value?

I am guessing that non S/C guys might trade up for the S/C version or if Ford comes out with a GT350 that is in between the GT and Cobra, Saleen might take the GT350 and create a Saleen car out of that thus causing a lot of the '05 Saleen guys to trade up or sell yet again.

thanks for your thought on this...
Old 3/18/05, 08:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems like all of the HP models depreciate rather quickly, with the exception of the 'R' model Cobras, which have held their value fairly well.

The only Saleens that I see that have held their value fairly well, are the 92-93 models for whatever reason. Even the S-351s are rather cheap now.

If there is indeed a Shelby model introduced, then it will be going head to head with the Saleen models (S/C'd and non S/C'd).
Old 3/19/05, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

The new Saleen is a horse (pun intended) of a different colour than the past ones. Up until now, the Saleen had a nice style that stood out from the crowd whereas the new version is downright hideous compared to the garden variety 2005 GT. I think that there's two possibilites: 1. The new Saleen's looks will frighten off potential buyers, keep the production low and therefore keep the values up later in life. 2. The new Saleen's looks will frighten off potential buyers, keep the production low and continue to turn stomachs as the model gets older and the values will plummit accordingly.

This is, of course, one man's opinion.
Old 3/19/05, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

good points...

how did the previous gen saleens depreciate as compared to the SVT cobra before and after the '05 stangs came out?

dats a good stat to know.

the reason i ask this...as many positives i see people post on the stang..i see lots of negatives.

i am VERY positive on the styling. one of the BEST looking sport coupes i ever laid eyes on. this includes looking at ferraris, porsches and BMWs
Old 4/5/05, 03:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by exc911ence@March 19, 2005, 2:13 PM
The new Saleen is a horse (pun intended) of a different colour than the past ones. Up until now, the Saleen had a nice style that stood out from the crowd whereas the new version is downright hideous compared to the garden variety 2005 GT. I think that there's two possibilites: 1. The new Saleen's looks will frighten off potential buyers, keep the production low and therefore keep the values up later in life. 2. The new Saleen's looks will frighten off potential buyers, keep the production low and continue to turn stomachs as the model gets older and the values will plummit accordingly.

This is, of course, one man's opinion.
Well, judging from the number of people salivating over the Saleen at the Pacific International Auto Show, I'd have to disagree with you on - let's see - points 1 and 2.

It's a stunner in person. But too expensive @ $57K CDN without IUP. :shock:
Old 4/5/05, 07:09 AM
Cobra Member

It is way too expensive to begin with and will always play second fiddle to the Shelby name. So, I think depreciation will be worse than previous models. The only people that will be willing to pay for it are those who really like its appearance. And, while they are out there, there numbers are smaller. That means less demand and more depreciation.

Plus, I heard they are making 6 a day, so supply should be high. This should also add to the drepreciation.

However, I must ask the question... why are you interesed? If you like the car get it. NO car is an investment.

Now, if you are thinking of waiting to see if you can pick one up cheap on the used market, I would say there is probably a descent chance of that happening.
Old 4/5/05, 11:42 AM
V6 Member

2 reasons:

-If i buy one new, what kind of hit would i take if i resell....
-i definitely think once the shelby is out, dat will be the car to get amongst most people even though personally i like the saleen better.

yes, i agree with you that saleen has the LOOKS department for buyers locked in.

I am deciding to get one new or wait a little bit and get a 10-15% discount and get one used.

thanks....

Originally posted by Rampant@April 5, 2005, 7:12 AM
It is way too expensive to begin with and will always play second fiddle to the Shelby name. So, I think depreciation will be worse than previous models. The only people that will be willing to pay for it are those who really like its appearance. And, while they are out there, there numbers are smaller. That means less demand and more depreciation.

Plus, I heard they are making 6 a day, so supply should be high. This should also add to the drepreciation.

However, I must ask the question... why are you interesed? If you like the car get it. NO car is an investment.

Now, if you are thinking of waiting to see if you can pick one up cheap on the used market, I would say there is probably a descent chance of that happening.