General Art For your viewing pleasure, Various Art and Photochops Created by our Talented Members.

Bout time I got off my arse..

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/07 | 12:25 AM
Post *****

Bout time I got off my ****..

.. and started playing in Photoshop again. I've been slacking quite a bit with my artwork, if one can call it that at times lol. Now that its summer and I literally have nothing to do all day, I think I'm going to start me a project. Its a little ambitious of me, as I've never completed a photoshop rendering, but hey, first time for everything right?

As for this being in general art... I'm going back to what first got me drawing, way back in the '90s lol: Star Wars. I was around 8 or 9 when the special editions came back out, so I'm pretty heavily influenced by it.

Anyways, I was toying with the Tantive IV for a while until I realized thats too big too soon. I whipped out some of my old toys and started drawing up an A-Wing. I took a picture of one of the toys and started overlaying color and I'm hoping I can make it look at least a little like the ship. Been playing with it a bit, and I got a pretty rough basic drawing. I really would like to keep adding on to this a little every day and eventually make it presentable. I can already see things like lines that should be parallel but arent (nose) and some gaps all over, but its a start.

As always, criticism, constructive or otherwise lol, is welcomed. I know I'm not nearly as good as some of the talent we have on these boards, but hey, this stuffs fun

Lemme know what you all think

Old 6/22/07 | 05:47 AM
Needs to be more Astony

sweet! The A-wing is one of my favorite ships!
Old 6/22/07 | 07:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks good so far, but the edges are a bit jagged. Learn the pen tool and your rendering will look great.
Old 6/22/07 | 11:02 AM

Looks good to me! Looking forward to more!
Old 6/22/07 | 11:38 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Looks good so far, but the edges are a bit jagged. Learn the pen tool and your rendering will look great.
That thing has always confounded me. I guess this is as gooda time as any to learn. I'm at work atm, but I'll give it a go at home.
Old 6/22/07 | 12:58 PM
GTR Member

It's a good start, and yes there's no time like the present to learn how
to use a new tool.
Old 6/22/07 | 03:28 PM
Cobra R Member

I had tried it a few times, but never really gave it a chance. Someone on here pointed it out to me, and now I use it for everything. The lines are so much better with it. Plus, sizable paths make tweaking really easy. It takes some time to get used to, but stick with it.
Old 6/22/07 | 03:51 PM
Needs to be more Astony

I don't use the pen tool.

But i hide it well
Old 6/22/07 | 04:51 PM
Post *****

Chris, if mine can come out looking 1/8th as good looking as that, I'll be elated.

*sigh* still at work. 1:10 to go
Old 6/22/07 | 06:06 PM
Cobra R Member

While the shading is dead on and it is an amazing rendering, I can still see places long the curves where they would have been smooth with the pen tool. Learn the pen tool. It's worth it. You've got some fantastic talent there, don't sell yourself short by taking a shortcut. Once you learn the pen tool, it'll actually go quicker than the selection tools and come out much better. Even so, that is one of the best renderings I've seen, ever.
Old 6/22/07 | 09:01 PM
Post *****

Most folks would probably make a plan, and do this logically or something. I really want to just play around most of the time, and also, being the geek I am, I really wanted to draw a laser cannon and the concussion missile tubes. So I did lol. I drew them freehand and then used a mask and eraser to make some of the lines more straight. The cannon isn't exactly as is on my toy, but I think I made it look a little cooler. The dodge tool is my friend

As for the scribbles everywhere, I began to outline the body panels all over. The bigger of the two models I'm using shows TONS of detail (I can see rivets!) so I'm going to follow it til the end.

Not much real progress so far, but I figure as long as theres something new to see, I'll post it

Old 6/22/07 | 09:08 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

looking good man..while not my favorite ship it still is looking dandy
Old 6/22/07 | 09:14 PM
Post *****

thanks. I picked this one to start with for its relative simplicity. I'm eventually going to get around to the Falcon, I hope.

Pray tell, what might your favorite be?
Old 6/25/07 | 12:31 PM
Needs to be more Astony

very cool arin.. i'm liking the laser canons!

Do you have a tablet? if not that mouse work is very good on the body panel lines.
Old 6/25/07 | 03:10 PM
Post *****

No Tablet here. Mousework like this is brutally difficult. I'm sure you know this already though, what with your GTO and all.

I might save up some cash and buy one before I move away to college. I've thought about it for a while. Used one someone else owned once, I couldn't quite get it right. I imagine it takes some getting used to.

No updates as of yet, I just started today's work

edit: sorry for not having any news in so long, m **** laptop kicked the bucket, screenwise. the computer goes on, but the screen is so faint its almost black. and its not an adjustment thing either, it goes on for a while, and then the screen just dies. i have the file backed up, but i lack another computer with PS. hopefully my new job will help me get me a new'n.
Old 7/31/07 | 04:16 PM
Post *****

Well, family and I went to a dell kiosk at the mall and new computer was ordered an almost fully loaded XPS laptop and..... a wacom tablet!

I'll finally be able to finish this thing!
Old 7/31/07 | 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sweet was it the new thin style ?
Old 7/31/07 | 05:36 PM
Post *****

naw it was the big one, the M1710. The thin one is the M1330, which is the one Vishal got
Old 7/31/07 | 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Chickenman Scores !
Old 7/31/07 | 08:24 PM
GTR Member

Nice Arin, can't wait to see what you'll create now.

Quick Reply: Bout time I got off my arse..