V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Yes, it's an automatic....

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/05, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok... this is NOT TO START a war over manual vs automatic... that's been done... LOL!

I just want to share this and see what you guys think....

Was at a car show today... Some of you might have seen the new little flyer I made for my car... I sure noticed a lot of people reading it with interest so I would say it was a hit! LOL! Actually I think some people would have walked right by my car but decided to stop and read it and then they would check out the car... so that was cool...

Now as usual I had the people who as soon as they see it's an automatic, their nose goes up in the air and they walk off.... almost in a huff! LOL! That doesn't bother me at all.. to each his own... But every once in while I run into the person who is dead set against the automatic. I then take a few mintues and explain this new 5 speed auto to them.... how well it performs and how with my X-Cal2 I can customize it... I was talking to a woman today... and when I got done explaining everything to her she actually said, "you are the first person who has ever been able to convince me that an automatic in a Mustang is ok..." Ok... so not only am i the V6 Apologist I'm the new 5R55S Apologist! LOL!

So I got home... And I'm thinking... why not make a little flyer for the automatic??? That way people can see that actual data! I mean the way the car flyer helds peoples attention maybe a flyer for the tranny would work too! LOL!

So now I'm on a mission... Educate people not only about what a great car the V6 is but also that it's ok to have an automatic transmission! LOL! So check out my newest flyer! LOL!
Old 8/13/05, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck
Old 8/13/05, 10:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yeah, I agree that it's one awesome tranny. Much better than before, I'm glad they did this, before it was like they neglected auto buyers.
I'm sure that graph will help some see the potential
Some people can't like it because they won't choose to own it, I won't either, but you can't deny how good a tranny it is.
Old 8/13/05, 10:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a V6 Automatic, love it! It's great how you can adjust it easily with the SCT. Cool flyer.
Old 8/13/05, 10:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I smoked an auto v6, i wish i could find someone that had one around here that was flashed. So i can see how much of a difference they make. Im startin to think maybe i should just get my tuner for now, and hold off on gettin my nitrous for another few months. 13's in the quarter mile are just too tempting.
Old 8/14/05, 01:10 AM
V6 Member

You did a great job on your car posters. I agree I never was much of an automatic fan. I owned a fox body manual before. This automatic seems very much different than other ones Ive driven. The 5 speed seems to keep it in its power range. In fact at the track my times were quicker leaving it in drive than manual shifting. I havent even used my xcal 2 yet. I cant wait to get my xcal 2 program installed! This is indeed the best automatic Ive ever seen. With the new computer programing the possibilities are endless.
Old 8/14/05, 03:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@August 13, 2005, 11:42 PM
I smoked an auto v6, i wish i could find someone that had one around here that was flashed. So i can see how much of a difference they make. Im startin to think maybe i should just get my tuner for now, and hold off on gettin my nitrous for another few months. 13's in the quarter mile are just too tempting.
Yeah, the torque limiters really keep you from getting a good take off. From a dead stop the car will almost seem to bog a little and have quite a bit of hesitation. That was the frustating part... The car would pull hard through all the gears, right up to the redline, except during the take off, where the torque limiter was really noticable! I mean I'm old school and really wasn't happy about buying a Mustang with an auto but to keep peace in the family an auto was part of the deal.... But with the X-Cal2 and the way I've got the shift points dialed into where I like them.... DANG! This tranny shifts better than I do! And it NEVER misses! LOL!

To give you some idea... The tune I'm running from Alternative Auto boosted a stock V6 rear wheel torque by 20 pounds! We're putting my car on the dyno next Thursday to see where I'm at...
Old 8/14/05, 03:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by buscg@August 14, 2005, 2:13 AM
You did a great job on your car posters. I agree I never was much of an automatic fan. I owned a fox body manual before. This automatic seems very much different than other ones Ive driven. The 5 speed seems to keep it in its power range. In fact at the track my times were quicker leaving it in drive than manual shifting. I havent even used my xcal 2 yet. I cant wait to get my xcal 2 program installed! This is indeed the best automatic Ive ever seen. With the new computer programing the possibilities are endless.
You're going to flip once you load up your x-cal2! It is a night and day difference! I couldn't even get my tires to chirp while power braking! Now I'm doing two wheel burnouts (thanks to the new Trac-Lok) with my big ballon 265/60/16s!!! And i'm chirpping the tires on my shifts! The x-cal unlocks so much performance out of this car!
Old 8/14/05, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

It's amazing how many standard mindsets there are out there or chest beaters as I call them. My ex brother in law explains that driving a standard is fun.....hmmmmm makes you think he never heard of play station. Too each his own for me the automatic is fine. Your right a lot of lookees do walk away in a hulf when they realize the car is an automatic. Sometimes I think I should hand out little paper bags to make there breathing hulfing easier.
Old 8/14/05, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

very nice flyer
Old 8/14/05, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

scrming.. Post your dyno's I am dying to see them
Old 8/14/05, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@August 14, 2005, 9:23 AM
scrming.. Post your dyno's I am dying to see them
You bet... I'm going on the Dyno on Thursday but I won't be home until Sunday... I'll be at Woodward!!! WOOHOO!! So I'll post next week...

BTW... lot's of people stopped and actually read my new auto tranny flyer....
Old 8/14/05, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Does the auto really shift to 4th under 80mph? or is that with your gearing? What does one with stock gearing shift to 4th at?
Old 8/14/05, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@August 14, 2005, 6:04 PM
Does the auto really shift to 4th under 80mph? or is that with your gearing? What does one with stock gearing shift to 4th at?
That's my 4.10s.... I used to be able to do a 0-60 run and only hit 2nd... now I have to go to 3rd... I never really checked where I would go to 4th at when I had the 3.31s. I don't think I have any old data logs that would show it... it wasn't until I had the 4.10s in that I started collecting longer runs.... But I know it was probably well above 80... LOL
Old 8/14/05, 05:35 PM
Cobra R Member

im curious cuz 3rd gear tops out at 103 in my manual.
Old 8/14/05, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Still waiting to top out but when I do I am going to love stomping on alot of ricers and manual trannys...
Old 8/14/05, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have fun with the ricers, good luck with the manual trannys! Haha.. God I didnt realize you couldnt hit 60 w/o going to third w/ 4.10s.. oh well, guess Ill figure it out when I get them installed hahaha.
Old 8/15/05, 03:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@August 14, 2005, 6:38 PM
im curious cuz 3rd gear tops out at 103 in my manual.
yeah... i'm topping my 3rd gear out at around 85MPH.... and as some one pointed out with my tires my 4.10s would be equal to something like 3.88 using stock tires... soooo... that's something to think about if anyone is changing gears...

BTW... cruising on the e-way today... 80MPH in 5th was just under 3,000RPM.... wasn't to bad....
Old 8/15/05, 08:56 AM
GT Member

I debated getting an auto in my GT for a long time... what finally made me decide to go standard was the fact that I'm probably going to put in a supercharger down the road and it looks like the manual tranny will hold up much better with a clutch upgrade than the auto under the torque load.

(I'm still fighting the temptation of an auto black 05 GT Vert that's sitting at a dealership down the street.)
Old 8/15/05, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by grendel@August 15, 2005, 9:59 AM
I debated getting an auto in my GT for a long time... what finally made me decide to go standard was the fact that I'm probably going to put in a supercharger down the road and it looks like the manual tranny will hold up much better with a clutch upgrade than the auto under the torque load.

(I'm still fighting the temptation of an auto black 05 GT Vert that's sitting at a dealership down the street.)
Yeah, i was pretty hesitant at the idea of getting an auto at first... but the more I've learned about it and the tweaking we've done, I'm actually really glad I did get the auto. One nice this is the auto in the V6 is the same one that's in the GT... SO needless to say the Tranny is not going to be my weakest link! LOL! Most likely will be the 7.5 rear end...