V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

X Calibrator 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/05 | 10:45 AM

I'm almost ready to purchase a X Calibrator 2 flasher, but I have a few questions:

1) I understand that you will get custom tune programs with your purchase, but the XCAL 2 states that you can tune your own vehicle. Can you program your own tunes to the same level as the tunes that come with the programmer? Are all the same options that the reseller uses to give you the programs available to the purchaser?

2) How important is the gas octane level to the performance? In my area their are only 89, 92, and 95 octane. There is a substantial price difference between the grades.

3) Does it remove the axceleration delay that is apparent with drive by wire systems? This is a big part of my decision to purchase. The delay is extreamly annoying.

4) Does the XCAL 2 backup the current flash that is running in the car?

5) Without a CAI system is there still a significant performace gain? I do have Borla cat back system, but i'm not going to install CAI until my factory warranty is over.

Thanks for any help you can provide...
Old 9/2/05 | 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangPower@September 2, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'm almost ready to purchase a X Calibrator 2 flasher, but I have a few questions:

1) I understand that you will get custom tune programs with your purchase, but the XCAL 2 states that you can tune your own vehicle. Can you program your own tunes to the same level as the tunes that come with the programmer? Are all the same options that the reseller uses to give you the programs available to the purchaser?

2) How important is the gas octane level to the performance? In my area their are only 89, 92, and 95 octane. There is a substantial price difference between the grades.

3) Does it remove the axceleration delay that is apparent with drive by wire systems? This is a big part of my decision to purchase. The delay is extreamly annoying.

4) Does the XCAL 2 backup the current flash that is running in the car?

5) Without a CAI system is there still a significant performace gain? I do have Borla cat back system, but i'm not going to install CAI until my factory warranty is over.
Thanks for any help you can provide...

1) In a nutshell no... Longer explaination... When you buy an X-Cal2 ask your dealer if he will give you the .XTR files. This is kind of a copy of the tune loaded in the X-Cal2. You can down load Extreme Tune from SCT for free... this will allow you to make some tweaks to the tune. The most handy of which are tire size, rear gear ratio and shift schedule for the automatic... Some thinngs like shift firmness appear not to work... The nice thing if you have something you wanted changed you can tell your dealer to change it and then he can e-mail you the .XTR file and you can upload it to your X-Cal2....

2) There is a difference but I don't have any specific numbers... right now I'm just running an 89 octane tune

3) Yep, it's amazing what it does for throttle response... no more torque limiters... LOL!

4) Yep, first time you use it it down loads the stock program to your X-Cal2. You can then use the "Return to Stock" option.. SCT also has a utility for downloading this stock program to your PC...

5) yes there is a big improvement... especially in torque... I've attached a dyno graph that show a completely stock V6 automatic with and with out a tune... check it out... These are REAL NUMBERS!!!
Old 9/2/05 | 02:29 PM

John... Thanks for the info! Especially the dyno! Thats what I needed to decide! I have been watching the threads and it seems that BamaChips is the place to purchase it. Would recommend them or someone else?

Also. Since you can only tweak the dealers program if you add new equipment do they normally charge for a new program?

Thanks Again!
Old 9/2/05 | 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangPower@September 2, 2005, 3:32 PM
John... Thanks for the info! Especially the dyno! Thats what I needed to decide! I have been watching the threads and it seems that BamaChips is the place to purchase it. Would recommend them or someone else?

Also. Since you can only tweak the dealers program if you add new equipment do they normally charge for a new program?

Thanks Again!
Personally I've been recommending Lidio at Alternative Auto... He is regarded as one of the top Mustang guys... Do a quick google on "Lidio Alternative" and you'll see what I mean... LOL! Altenative has been known for the incredible V8s they've put out... so when Lidio embraced the new V6 I did a happy dance!

I originally purchased my X-Cal2 from a different dealer... Lidio's V6 tune seem more complete... especially on the shifting.. both up and down. His 89 octane tune shaved .25 off my 0-60 compared to the 93 octane tune I was running...

Here is his blurb on the V6:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/v6...stang_tune.html

BTW.. Lidio's 05 GT is AWESOME... He was the first to have an AUTOMATIC 2005 GT run in the 12's... From the C&L Website: "We would also like to congratulate Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto in Mt. Clemens, MI for being the first AUTOMATIC 2005 GT to run in the 12's, also equipped with our complete air intake assembly and his own tuning. "
Old 9/2/05 | 07:10 PM

Originally posted by scrming@September 2, 2005, 3:48 PM
Personally I've been recommending Lidio at Alternative Auto... He is regarded as one of the top Mustang guys... Do a quick google on "Lidio Alternative" and you'll see what I mean... LOL! Altenative has been known for the incredible V8s they've put out... so when Lidio embraced the new V6 I did a happy dance!

I originally purchased my X-Cal2 from a different dealer... Lidio's V6 tune seem more complete... especially on the shifting.. both up and down. His 89 octane tune shaved .25 off my 0-60 compared to the 93 octane tune I was running...

Here is his blurb on the V6:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/v6...stang_tune.html

BTW.. Lidio's 05 GT is AWESOME... He was the first to have an AUTOMATIC 2005 GT run in the 12's... From the C&L Website: "We would also like to congratulate Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto in Mt. Clemens, MI for being the first AUTOMATIC 2005 GT to run in the 12's, also equipped with our complete air intake assembly and his own tuning. "

I am going to call them Monday! They were closed by the time I got home.... Interestingly after visiting their website they were able to get extra 10 RWHP with a after market cat back system... Now that sounds like a gem...

After I get it I will post the status....

Thanks alot for all your help and info!
Old 9/2/05 | 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangPower@September 2, 2005, 8:13 PM
I am going to call them Monday! They were closed by the time I got home.... Interestingly after visiting their website they were able to get extra 10 RWHP with a after market cat back system... Now that sounds like a gem...

After I get it I will post the status....

Thanks alot for all your help and info!
They'll be closed on Monday for the holiday... They were actully closed today... Lidio was taking his car to Ohio for a big 2005 Shootout.... So give them a ring on Tuesday...
Old 9/2/05 | 08:10 PM
GT Member

John is the man at XCAL2 questions... I think he should get a check for SCT for providing support!

I've bought my XCAL2 from brenspeed and I like his tune also. He has great customer service and usually responds within 1 day.

John,

I saw Lidio run on your website... It was awesome...