V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

What Muffler should I get

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK V6 guys I want to put a new single muffler on my V6. I want a deep throaty sound; no fart cans. What do you guys recommend? I was told flowmaster but it is a V6 and a single at that, so what say you?
Old 1/30/06, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@January 30, 2006, 2:42 PM
OK V6 guys I want to put a new single muffler on my V6. I want a deep throaty sound; no fart cans. What do you guys recommend? I was told flowmaster but it is a V6 and a single at that, so what say you?

LOL. I think this one will pretty much convince you if you are sticking with single:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=43703

It's very impressive.
Old 1/30/06, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on if you want to keep it single or go duals...

Single: I would go with the MRT hands down. We know the performance gains and have a pretty good idea of the sound. And the sound I like hehe.

The Ford Racing (Borla) catback (single) sounds good too, but Im unsure of the dyno results on it.

If you're going duals, flows arent a bad way to go. I have them and love them, and have definitely seen numbers off them, but its hard to say exactly how much of a gain.

If you want something a little throatier and cheap look into some GT Takeoffs
Old 1/30/06, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 30, 2006, 3:43 PM
LOL. I think this one will pretty much convince you if you are sticking with single:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=43703

It's very impressive.
I see, what about sound wise? I am seriously liking those numbers but the sound it very important to me.
Old 1/30/06, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@January 30, 2006, 3:46 PM
I see, what about sound wise? I am seriously liking those numbers but the sound it very important to me.

Listen to his video, that is one mean sounding six and it only has one muff. He posted 3 vids I think.
Old 1/30/06, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

The MRT single is nothing short of amazing! Were talking incredible sound and impressive performance gain! The gain is over my Magnaflow! My whole write up on the MRT is at: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/Scream...ang.htm#muffler

it the website is non-functional it's because I went over my 8GB bandwidth for January! LOL!
Old 1/30/06, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going with GT take-offs first as a cheap starting point. If I don't like the sound then I can easily change them.
Old 2/2/06, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

On this note. I'm thinking about getting one too, but don't want a super loud "Holy crap the world is gonna explode" sounding one either. Pretty much I'm looking into the Ford Racing one, the magnaflow, I liked the sound on the site, and now this MRT one.

What would you recommend for someone looking for a little more power, but nothing extreme(The exhaust will probably be my only performance upgrade other than the K&N air filter) and a better sound?

Thank You,

05black
Old 2/2/06, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05blackV6 @ February 2, 2006, 11:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
On this note. I'm thinking about getting one too, but don't want a super loud "Holy crap the world is gonna explode" sounding one either. Pretty much I'm looking into the Ford Racing one, the magnaflow, I liked the sound on the site, and now this MRT one.

What would you recommend for someone looking for a little more power, but nothing extreme(The exhaust will probably be my only performance upgrade other than the K&N air filter) and a better sound?
Thank You,

05black
[/b][/quote]

Well... it's not Holy CRAP the worlds going to EXPLODE... it is however HOLY CRAP THIS IS A HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR! GET OUT OF MY WAY! Loud.... I can still talk on the cell phone and carry on a converstion with out yelling.... and did i mention the peformance gain? LOL!
Old 2/2/06, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 2, 2006, 6:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well... it's not Holy CRAP the worlds going to EXPLODE... it is however HOLY CRAP THIS IS A HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR! GET OUT OF MY WAY! Loud.... I can still talk on the cell phone and carry on a converstion with out yelling.... and did i mention the peformance gain? LOL!
[/b][/quote]

How much is the MRT and do you have link?

You would recommend this over the Ford Racing and magnaflow?
Old 2/2/06, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05blackV6 @ February 2, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How much is the MRT and do you have link?
You would recommend this over the Ford Racing and magnaflow?
[/b][/quote]

It's $225. They don't have the single up on their website yet... (www.mrt-direct.com). So give them a call at (248) 960-8813.

I just got in from running around town... I paid attention to the sound... It's actually pretty quiet inside until about 2500RPM... then the volume starts to go up... So when I cruise at 60MPH the sound is inside is just fine... when I'm cruising at 80MPH I'm close to 3000RPM so it is loud but like I said it's not unbearable... just louder than my Magnaflow....

I don't know about the Ford Racing exhaust... but i can tell you the MRT stomped my Magnaflow! LOL!
Old 2/2/06, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 2, 2006, 9:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's $225. They don't have the single up on their website yet... (www.mrt-direct.com). So give them a call at (248) 960-8813.

I just got in from running around town... I paid attention to the sound... It's actually pretty quiet inside until about 2500RPM... then the volume starts to go up... So when I cruise at 60MPH the sound is inside is just fine... when I'm cruising at 80MPH I'm close to 3000RPM so it is loud but like I said it's not unbearable... just louder than my Magnaflow....

I don't know about the Ford Racing exhaust... but i can tell you the MRT stomped my Magnaflow! LOL!
[/b][/quote]

Now is this a just "bolt on" exhaust like the others?

the videos you have are of the MRT right? Do you have anything with the magna? Audio or video?
Old 2/3/06, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05blackV6 @ February 2, 2006, 9:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Now is this a just "bolt on" exhaust like the others?

the videos you have are of the MRT right? Do you have anything with the magna? Audio or video?
[/b][/quote]

Yep, the MRT is just a simple axle back exhaust that just bolts on... Can be done in your driveway with hand tools... however some people do have a tough time getting the stock muffler off... sometimes take a bit of work.. yanking, twisting an pounding! LOL!

The videos "From Behind" "From the Front" and "From Inside" are all with the MRT.. I don't have a real good sound/video of the Magnaflow... One reason I decided to get rid of the Magnflow was because it did sound like it was "muffled" at the higer RPM (above 3500RPM)... And at idle the MRT is noticably deeper..
Old 2/3/06, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 3, 2006, 7:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep, the MRT is just a simple axle back exhaust that just bolts on... Can be done in your driveway with hand tools... however some people do have a tough time getting the stock muffler off... sometimes take a bit of work.. yanking, twisting an pounding! LOL!

The videos "From Behind" "From the Front" and "From Inside" are all with the MRT.. I don't have a real good sound/video of the Magnaflow... One reason I decided to get rid of the Magnflow was because it did sound like it was "muffled" at the higer RPM (above 3500RPM)... And at idle the MRT is noticably deeper..
[/b][/quote]

Scrming, So does it sound like duals? I want a nice deep sound but, your v6 and my v6 are way different in terms of performance, so can I expect an increase of 10hp and what about torque<spelling) increase? Also is there any performance gain to dual exhaust? or for our V6's is it just for looks? Thanks for all your help.
Old 2/3/06, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vistablue mustang @ February 3, 2006, 1:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Scrming, So does it sound like duals? I want a nice deep sound but, your v6 and my v6 are way different in terms of performance, so can I expect an increase of 10hp and what about torque<spelling) increase? Thanks for all your help.
[/b][/quote]

Does it sound like duals... hmmm... that's going to be very subjective... I've heard dual GT takes offs. This sounds MUCH better than the ones I heard (no sure how they were put on x,y,h...???) I did hear a V6 which had a set of Steeda's on it.. again not sure the complete setup... They might have been a tad louder than the MRT at idle and light throttle but the MRT definitely had a deep tone... I have not heard in person a car with duals on a hard take off... You could always start with a single MRT and then buy the drivers side later... ????

I wish there was a way to hook the driver's side MRT with out a lot of cutting to see what it would sound like... I just might have to talk to Scott... I got the feeling there would be a couple guys interested is seeing how that sounds???? LOL! OH GOSH... THERE GOES MY BANDWIDTH FOR SURE! LOL!

As are as performance... I think you will definitely see a gain in both HP and Torque... While you may not see 10RWHP right now it may help you down the road if you move to something like a C&L with a tune... also... i forgot to check your mod list... LOL! If you don't have a tuner you may be leaving some of the power on the table...
Old 2/3/06, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 3, 2006, 1:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Does it sound like duals... hmmm... that's going to be very subjective... I've heard dual GT takes offs. This sounds MUCH better than the ones I heard (no sure how they were put on x,y,h...???) I did hear a V6 which had a set of Steeda's on it.. again not sure the complete setup... They might have been a tad louder than the MRT at idle and light throttle but the MRT definitely had a deep tone... I have not heard in person a car with duals on a hard take off... You could always start with a single MRT and then buy the drivers side later... ????

I wish there was a way to hook the driver's side MRT with out a lot of cutting to see what it would sound like... I just might have to talk to Scott... I got the feeling there would be a couple guys interested is seeing how that sounds???? LOL! OH GOSH... THERE GOES MY BANDWIDTH FOR SURE! LOL!

As are as performance... I think you will definitely see a gain in both HP and Torque... While you may not see 10RWHP right now it may help you down the road if you move to something like a C&L with a tune... also... i forgot to check your mod list... LOL! If you don't have a tuner you may be leaving some of the power on the table...
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the info, yeah I realize that with out a tune I will be loosing something in the end, though I worry about doing a tune as 1. I never did it before, 2. This is my daily driver so I would like to keep it running on regular as I only get about 13 to 14MPG in the city (I have a led foot). So is there a tune that will let me use regular gas? Is it even worth it to consider for a daily driver? I really just want some extra horse power and torque and the sound of course.
Old 2/3/06, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vistablue mustang @ February 3, 2006, 1:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the info, yeah I realize that with out a tune I will be loosing something in the end, though I worry about doing a tune as 1. I never did it before, 2. This is my daily driver so I would like to keep it running on regular as I only get about 13 to 14MPG in the city (I have a led foot). So is there a tune that will let me use regular gas? Is it even worth it to consider for a daily driver? I really just want some extra horse power and torque and the sound of course.
[/b][/quote]

In my book a tuner is a "Must Have" mod... Don't worry about never having done it before... it is a very simple plug and play kind of thing.. 2 minutes and anyone can do it... LOL! Will make a very noticable difference... do you have manual or auto?

As far as running on regular gas, I think most shops offer an 87 octane tune... I'm pretty sure both Doug and Lidio have 87's...
Old 2/3/06, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Getting a tune in my V6 changed my life and my car's life. We just really hate to be apart [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] haha! I would definetely recommend it...
Old 2/3/06, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Scrming I have an Auto. Though doesn't doing a tune void your warranty? I know you can set it back to factory settings but can't they teel the computer has been messed with?
Old 2/3/06, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vistablue mustang @ February 3, 2006, 3:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Scrming I have an Auto. Though doesn't doing a tune void your warranty? I know you can set it back to factory settings but can't they teel the computer has been messed with?
[/b][/quote]

Automatic... you need a tune! You will not believe the differenc it will make! We're talking night and day difference! You will think your driving someone elses car! LOL!

Ok.. we've kicked this back and forth numerous time... This is my understanding... There is a very very slight chance the dealership could tell that your ECU has been flashed... I believe that 99.9999% of the dealership wouldn't even try to determine this... and if a dealership did find that your ECU has been reflashed how could they ever prove you did it? Could have been flashed mutliple times at the factory... The dealership could have reflashed it... when I had my TPS replaced (under warranty... with Zex installed!) the procedure called for a reflash...

Get an SCT X-Cal2! you will not regret it! LOL Ok... here's my shameless plug before the other chirp in! LOL! Call Lidio at Alternative Auto (www.alternativeauto.com) and he'll get you all set up! LOL! That number is 586.463.0010!!

Quick Reply: What Muffler should I get