V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Stalls after long highway trip

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have had no problems with my V6 Premium except this quirky thing that has happened twice unde the exact same conditions.
-After a long highway trip of about 180 miles where sustained speeds were in the 60-80 range for much of the time.
-I exit higway at end of trip and come to stop light at end of exit ramp.
-Car idles normally.
-When light changes, I step on gas (normal acceleration; not stomping it), and the car stalls.
-I can start the car right up no problem and it runs flawlessly thereafter.
After the first time (at about 4200 miles) I took it in to dealer. They couldn't find a problem or an error code registered. It just happened again a few days ago at about 5900 miles.
Anyone else heard of this or have any idea what the problem might be? It happens so infrequently and disappears so completely I have a feeling it will take a long time to figure this one out. :scratch:
Old 7/20/05, 10:48 PM
GT Member

I put 3000 miles on my car in 1 month. One trip to Vermont from NYC, the only stops were for gas. Another trip to Niagra Falls from NYC, a few stops but I know I did more than 200 miles on each trip without stopping.

No problems with stalling at all. Lately I've been feeling the rpms fluctuate a little when I'm stopped at a light, but if I even thought the car would stall, I'd take it to the dealer.

Did you check the oil? I used to have a car that stalled or felt like it was about to and more often than not it needed oil.

Good luck with it.
Old 7/20/05, 11:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I've seen a few people on this and other boards that have had the problem only worse, and it turned out to be a fault throttle body.
Old 7/20/05, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it happent to me about the same story 200 miles across the 10 from arizona and same exact thing. but that was 3 months ago havent had prob since
Old 7/21/05, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by afixer@July 21, 2005, 12:41 AM
it happent to me about the same story 200 miles across the 10 from arizona and same exact thing. but that was 3 months ago havent had prob since
Happens to me on a daily basis. I drive about 40 miles on the interstate each morning and evening to and from work. When I am coming home, I pull on the off ramp and have to come to a complete stop. When I go again, it goes then stalls, then goes again.
Old 7/23/05, 05:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've yet to have this happened.. I hope it is nothing serious. Strange that there were no error codes or anything at the dealer
Old 7/24/05, 06:41 AM
GT Member

My last car did the exact same thing, and after getting it checked by the dealer and my other usual places with no results, I found it to be the gas a a particular station that I usually didn't use. Once I stopped going there totally, the problem disappeared.

It wasn't a Mustang, but this sounded so close to my experience that I figured I'd throw it in.

Good luck!!!!
Old 7/26/05, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine stalled out last week in rush-hour traffic. At least I was in the far-righthand lane! Popped her in neutral and restarted right away. Really strange, but it hasn't happened since. Need to keep an eye on this.

panamajk89

V6 Premium Coupe
Satin Silver Metallic
Build Date: 5/27/2005
Old 7/31/05, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

I've had my mustang a little over 2 months, and I took it on a 400mile round trip ride, never stopped once intermittently, and never stalled.
Old 8/1/05, 06:46 PM
V6 Member

Yes my car has done the same. Long trip, steady speed. At the top of the ramp the car stumbled 2 times then took off. Did not die completly. I took it to the dealer to have the gas tank and the shaker 500 replaced and told them to reflash the computer. I do not know if they did it or not, but the problem has not returned. E-mail me if you need any more details mark_sanders@bellsouth.net
Old 8/2/05, 04:04 PM
GT Member

This is a known problem by V6 owners, unfortunately Ford doesn't think it exsists. After a long steady state throttle drive around twenty minutes duration, the car will stumble or in your case stall after coming to a full stop. I have the same problem, all you have to do is signifcantly fluxuate your throttle inputs during the drive and it won't happen. I can duplicate the problem on my car anytime I want to. Problem is getting a Ford tech to ride with you for a 30 minute test drive. I have also heard that a new throttle body will fix the problem, although this has not been confirmed. Most folks that complain about it end up with the tech saying he/she couldn't find anything amiss. So the short answer is, on long highway drives give the car a couple of full throttle runs before your exit and you'll have no trouble.
Old 8/4/05, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by 05V6@August 2, 2005, 6:07 PM
This is a known problem by V6 owners, unfortunately Ford doesn't think it exsists. After a long steady state throttle drive around twenty minutes duration, the car will stumble or in your case stall after coming to a full stop. I have the same problem, all you have to do is signifcantly fluxuate your throttle inputs during the drive and it won't happen. I can duplicate the problem on my car anytime I want to. Problem is getting a Ford tech to ride with you for a 30 minute test drive. I have also heard that a new throttle body will fix the problem, although this has not been confirmed. Most folks that complain about it end up with the tech saying he/she couldn't find anything amiss. So the short answer is, on long highway drives give the car a couple of full throttle runs before your exit and you'll have no trouble.
Just dropped off car at dealer to get some TSB work done and to check out this problem. Mentioned the throttle body as a possible source of problem. We'll see what happens. Thanks. AB
Old 8/10/05, 02:00 PM

Curious if there was any follow up to this.

~Dan
Old 8/10/05, 02:31 PM
I'm people, and I like.

crap, this is important stuff. Any new info?
Old 8/10/05, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ATNBIRDIE@July 20, 2005, 9:05 PM
Have had no problems with my V6 Premium except this quirky thing that has happened twice unde the exact same conditions.
-After a long highway trip of about 180 miles where sustained speeds were in the 60-80 range for much of the time.
-I exit higway at end of trip and come to stop light at end of exit ramp.
-Car idles normally.
-When light changes, I step on gas (normal acceleration; not stomping it), and the car stalls.
-I can start the car right up no problem and it runs flawlessly thereafter.
After the first time (at about 4200 miles) I took it in to dealer. They couldn't find a problem or an error code registered. It just happened again a few days ago at about 5900 miles.
Anyone else heard of this or have any idea what the problem might be? It happens so infrequently and disappears so completely I have a feeling it will take a long time to figure this one out. :scratch:
This happened to me with my GT after getting off the highway - only the engine didn't die, just hesitated for a second and then went.
Old 8/10/05, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by 05RedGT@August 10, 2005, 4:05 PM
This happened to me with my GT after getting off the highway - only the engine didn't die, just hesitated for a second and then went.
mine doesn't die either, but it is a extremely bad hesitation. It goes like normal and then just "hesitates" then goes again fine.
Old 8/12/05, 08:19 AM

Took the car in as I said in earlier post. Dealership had to order parts for TSB repairs, so nothing has been done yet. They did say, once again, they found no error codes. I'll be interested to see if the gas tank replacement (one of the TSBs I'm having done) fixes it like dynaflash noted.
ATN
Old 8/19/05, 09:49 PM

Still waiting on parts for TSB refits. In the mean time, dealership called and asked me to stop by for a bout 15 minutes. They plugged into my PCM input under dash near steering wheel to get some information. They said they were sending it in to Ford who would ship them a chip or something they were going to plug into PCM to do data logging so they could determine why the car stalls. On my car, this is an intermittent problem, so I hope it does it again soon after I get the module plugged in.
Will probably be a week or two before they get all parts in and I get a chance to give them the car. Will post again when I get some results. At the very least, it appears I have hooked up with a very supportive service department!
Old 8/19/05, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ATNBIRDIE@August 12, 2005, 7:22 AM
Took the car in as I said in earlier post. Dealership had to order parts for TSB repairs, so nothing has been done yet. They did say, once again, they found no error codes. I'll be interested to see if the gas tank replacement (one of the TSBs I'm having done) fixes it like dynaflash noted.
ATN
make sure they order the tank protector they cracked mine when they replaced my tank. its the blacthing under the tank. it dosent come with the tank.
Old 8/19/05, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: V6 Stalls after long highway trip