Just ordered a silver v6 a couple of weeks ago:

Premium coupe
5-speed manual
Dark charcoal leather
Interior upgrade package
ABS/Traction control
Alarm

No spoiler or stripe

I thought about auto, but at this point it's too late to change. All you manual owners, how's the 5-speed manual? Is it "faster"? Most numbers/articles always cite the auto so I really have nothing to go by.

I know most people who have an auto bought it because it was out several months before the manual or it was easier to find. Others have opted to choose manual over auto, and that's fine. What I'm really interested in is hearing from those who test drove both and bought the manual.

Automatics I test drove all were nice, but other than convenience, I couldn't see myself getting an auto. Being my daily driver, this is a pretty convincing reason. The only manual I drove was a vert, and it was sweet. Unfortunately, that was months ago, and the test drive lasted all of 5 minutes. I was out of town on business, and that was all the time I had.

In the last 3 weeks I've tested 3 automatics and logged about an hour. I was impressed and found it smooth. Having driven auto for the last 9 years, I've forgotten if I had any problems driving standard daily.

Perhaps I was second guessing myself when I thought about the change. By the way, the car will be built the week of 6/6. I guess my dealer will get it about 10-14 days after build day.

All you auto owners please don't take offense. There are plenty of standard vs. auto threads here, and my intent is not to start a new one.
Old 5/29/05, 06:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will love your car! I am a V6 auto owner by choice as my car was ordered! But I have driven all the 05 mustangs (about 10 when I lost count)! The V6 stick was the most fun to me. It seemed just right and you can really test the red line. Both the Gt & V6 are very easy to drive. And have a very robust drive line. The clutch wear is up to your left foot though! As far as faster, any 2005 Mustang is really fast enough for our roads and the local Law enforcement agencies. Questions?

Later Ed
Old 5/29/05, 07:14 AM
GT Member

I had a 5 speeed Mustang LX (POS) for 10 years. My previous car was also a 5 speed (2 years) and my last car was a 6 speed (2 years).

Truth is, I don't like manual trans, but I got the cars that way because they either came that way or because I didn't want my mother to borrow it--she's accident prone and doesn't care.

The reality is it doesn't matter. Driving a stick is just something you do. People talk about being stuck in traffic and how it must stink when you have a stick shift, but I never thought about it, I just changed gears when necessary.

A friend bought an auto Mustang LX (POS) the same day I bought my 5 speed. He drove mine a few times and said how much faster mine was than his. I don't know, but that's what he said.

Don't second guess yourself. You got a 5 speed. If you don't fall in love with changing gears, the worst thing is that you'll get used to it and not think about it.

Upside, manuals get better gas mileage. Good luck.
Old 5/29/05, 12:42 PM

Well I know I can't have it both ways. Just like with my auto, there were some days I wished I'd bought manual and vice-versa.

As far as additional questions, I noticed both the gt and v6 have the same auto but different manual set-ups. What's the difference between the gt and v6 set up?
Old 5/29/05, 12:49 PM
Cobra R Member

You cant compare the old lx autos and manuals because of course the manual is faster, because the auto was a 4 speed auto.

I posted on here a while ago when i raced an 05 v6 auto (i have a manual) and both from a roll (diff speeds) and from a stop, i easily pulled on him.
Old 5/29/05, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You will be pleased. Since you may have lost your "clutch" leg just give it a little bit untill you get it back to make your real judgement on how you feel about it then.
Old 5/31/05, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

I bought mine with only a parking lot lesson and love it. Even in stop and go. I had it in the shop fixing some paint scuffs and they gave me an auto rental and i drove me nuts. I nearly pounded a hole thru the floorboard with my left foot and phantom shifted with my right hand. Peoploe who saw me must have thought i was crazy. Standard all the way for me from here on.
Old 5/31/05, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had not driven a manual in 12 years........it did not take but a few days to get pretty good again!!! Now I love it 5-spd. all the way!!! Good Luck!
Old 5/31/05, 06:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I was surprised today to see how easy it chirped to 2nd, and a very healthy one too. It's really fun, I also made my first longish burnout today in reverse & 1st, kinda like in the movie Bullit.
I can't even imagnine having this much of a good time in an auto.
Old 5/31/05, 07:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a link to a review that I gave after I test drove a V6 5 speed manual. I think you'll like the 5 speed! Enjoy, and congrats on your order.

5 speed manual test drive
Old 5/31/05, 11:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Manehawke, it chirps 3rd too. Everytime i go to the track, i get a nice chirp in 3rd.

ive yet to do a burnout reverse..... oh well i did my brakestand video
Old 6/1/05, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I eased up on third, since I didn't really wan't to go too much faster than flow of traffic. B)
It's great to hear the potential for a 3rd chirp is there. Ohh man.
Old 6/2/05, 11:23 AM
GT Member

It's a Mustang, you gotta shift it......especially with a V6.

I drove a V6 auto, not impressed, but that's my opinion. I LOVE driving our V6 manual, very fun, no regrets.

I'm waiting to race my neighbor someday in his '87 GT vert AUTO w/ lotsa mods.
He'll probably win but not by much!