V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/05, 08:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only had my new V6 coupe for about three weeks now and I'm only on my third tank of gas. But when I filled my car up this morning I was only getting 17.75 MPG figured manually, message center computer said 18.2. But, either way it's pretty low!

I read in the owners manual that you can't really count on the gas mileage figure untill you get 3000-4000 miles on the car, but isn't that mileage figure kind of low? I only have about 450 miles right now, and I do half city, half freeway driving. :angry:

What mileage figures are you guys getting on your V6's?
Old 5/1/05, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Falchion@May 1, 2005, 8:16 AM
I've only had my new V6 coupe for about three weeks now and I'm only on my third tank of gas. But when I filled my car up this morning I was only getting 17.75 MPG figured manually, message center computer said 18.2. But, either way it's pretty low!

I read in the owners manual that you can't really count on the gas mileage figure untill you get 3000-4000 miles on the car, but isn't that mileage figure kind of low? I only have about 450 miles right now, and I do half city, half freeway driving. :angry:

Your mileage will improve a little when it gets broken in, but not much. (I have 4500 miles on mine.) The V6 is pretty thirsty. I think there are 3 reasons for that.

1) It's easy to drive it harder than you think you are. I notice when I pull away from a stop light that in about a block I'm half a block ahead of the rest of traffic. It doesn't feel like hard acceleration, but it is.

2) The aerodynamics of the new Mustang are pretty crappy. The retro look comes with a retro drag coefficient. There's a reason all the other cars on the planet have a rounded, raked back, jelly-bean nose.

3) The "fly by wire" throttle doesn't snap shut when you lift off the gas. It almost feels like the cruise control is turned on. I've noticed that if I'm doing 40 mph on an urban street and lift completely off the gas, in two blocks I will still be going 36 mph. Deceleration is done almost completely with the brakes. Gas is being burned even when you're trying to slow down.

You may have noticed that the EPA ratings are down 2 or 3 mpg from 2004's 3.8L V6, and are 2 mpg lower than the data Ford had published prior to the retail debut of the car. If you came to the V6 Mustang looking for great gas mileage, you came to the wrong place.
Old 5/1/05, 10:40 AM
GT Member

Mine has 250 miles on it and is getting 26.5 on the highway and averages about 19.5 with mixed driving. I have been getting on it a little or I think the mixed driving figure would be better.

That's with the air on, V-6 , automatic.
Old 5/1/05, 10:42 AM

Well mileage isn't a major consideration since I live only 8 miles one way to work, but still I'm pretty far away from the low end of the mileage rating for this car.

What kind of mileage are the rest of you getting?

Originally posted by 74Mach1+May 1, 2005, 8:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(74Mach1 @ May 1, 2005, 8:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Falchion@May 1, 2005, 8:16 AM

Your mileage will improve a little when it gets broken in, but not much. (I have 4500 miles on mine.) The V6 is pretty thirsty. I think there are 3 reasons for that.

1) It's easy to drive it harder than you think you are. I notice when I pull away from a stop light that in about a block I'm half a block ahead of the rest of traffic. It doesn't feel like hard acceleration, but it is.

2) The aerodynamics of the new Mustang are pretty crappy. The retro look comes with a retro drag coefficient. There's a reason all the other cars on the planet have a rounded, raked back, jelly-bean nose.

3) The "fly by wire" throttle doesn't snap shut when you lift off the gas. It almost feels like the cruise control is turned on. I've noticed that if I'm doing 40 mph on an urban street and lift completely off the gas, in two blocks I will still be going 36 mph. Deceleration is done almost completely with the brakes. Gas is being burned even when you're trying to slow down.

You may have noticed that the EPA ratings are down 2 or 3 mpg from 2004's 3.8L V6, and are 2 mpg lower than the data Ford had published prior to the retail debut of the car. If you came to the V6 Mustang looking for great gas mileage, you came to the wrong place.
[/b][/quote]
Old 5/1/05, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

I do mostly city driving, and before it started gettin hot (no a/c) i was gettin about 24.5mpg, and nwo that im usin a/c im gettin bout 22 or 23mpg, not that big of a difference. I drive my car hard too. On my road trip that was all highway driving, i got 29mpg.

manual transmission.
Old 5/1/05, 12:57 PM

OK, thanks! Maybe my mileage will get better after my engine gets broken in?

Plus, I've been using my AC also, so maybe that's part of the reason for my poor mileage?

Originally posted by Fazm@May 1, 2005, 11:12 AM
I do mostly city driving, and before it started gettin hot (no a/c) i was gettin about 24.5mpg, and nwo that im usin a/c im gettin bout 22 or 23mpg, not that big of a difference. I drive my car hard too. On my road trip that was all highway driving, i got 29mpg.

manual transmission.
Old 5/1/05, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
My Mazda6 didn't get close to the rated MPG until I hit about 5,000 miles and then it started rising. At about 8,000 it was consistently getting the rated the MPG. Now at 22,000, it actually gets slightly better than the rating. I realize that my car isn't a V6 Mustang but I'm sure it's a fairly similar situation.
Old 5/1/05, 01:34 PM

Thanks! I think it might be a good example especailly since they're made on the same production line....

Originally posted by TomServo92@May 1, 2005, 1:14 PM
My Mazda6 didn't get close to the rated MPG until I hit about 5,000 miles and then it started rising. At about 8,000 it was consistently getting the rated the MPG. Now at 22,000, it actually gets slightly better than the rating. I realize that my car isn't a V6 Mustang but I'm sure it's a fairly similar situation.
Old 5/1/05, 02:55 PM
GT Member

[quote=Falchion,May 1, 2005, 12:45 PM]
Well mileage isn't a major consideration since I live only 8 miles one way to work, but still I'm pretty far away from the low end of the mileage rating for this car.

What kind of mileage are the rest of you getting?

It's probably too soon to get nervous about your mileage. Let a few more tanks run through it and see how it settles out. I've been through one tank and got a little over 20 mpg, but I do a TON of highway driving, with a 60-mile commute. When I've had very short commutes, my mileage was always bad.
Old 5/1/05, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Mine shows 20.5 mpg and I only have 800 miles on the car so far. I think it depends on how you drive it during the break in period. If you drive it hard and fast all the time your gas mileage is not going to be too great.
Old 5/1/05, 06:48 PM

OK, thanks for the replys guys. Maybe it is a little too early to worry about that?

I didn't see anything in the owners manual about taking it easy during the breakin period for the V6, did you guys see anything?

Originally posted by poldrv@May 1, 2005, 3:36 PM
Mine shows 20.5 mpg and I only have 800 miles on the car so far. I think it depends on how you drive it during the break in period. If you drive it hard and fast all the time your gas mileage is not going to be too great.
Old 5/1/05, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

page 5 (Introduction)

Breaking-In Your Vehicle

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1.600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or speical break in oils during the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these additives may prevent pistion ring seating. See Engine oil in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil usage.

Also read page (bottom) 216 and top 217 "Gas Mileage."
Old 5/2/05, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Went on road trip to PA last month 650 mi one way filled tank at begining and once on the way, drove 355 before filling up, commute is 37 mi one way can make round trip 4 times before filling up. Have 12,500 miles on her.
Old 5/2/05, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Almost 7,500 miles, and I just filled up. Went 252 miles on 11 gallons of gas (trip back to Louisiana)

I think she's doing just fine now! Wasn't that great at first, but didn't take long for her 'diet' to kick in!

Old 5/2/05, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Fazm@May 1, 2005, 11:12 AM

manual transmission.

That's pretty amazing MPG considering Ford only puts that manual at 25. The automatic gets 28MPG hwy according to Ford. I guess I hadn't really thought about the difference that the extra gear in the auto would make.

The days of manuals getting better gas mileage appear to be behind us.
Old 5/2/05, 10:38 AM

According to the sticker that came with my car it gets 28 on the highway, not 25.

And I have a 5 speed stick too........

Originally posted by AWmustang+May 2, 2005, 9:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ May 2, 2005, 9:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fazm@May 1, 2005, 11:12 AM

manual transmission.

That's pretty amazing MPG considering Ford only puts that manual at 25. The automatic gets 28MPG hwy according to Ford. I guess I hadn't really thought about the difference that the extra gear in the auto would make.

[/b][/quote]
Old 5/2/05, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 74Mach1@May 1, 2005, 8:50 AM
There must be a significant difference between the auto and manual on this, I know if I let of the gas at about 45 in 4th gear that in a couple block I will be down to about 30-35 without downshifting.
Old 5/2/05, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AWmustang@May 2, 2005, 9:27 AM

What extra gear? The auto and manual both have 5 gears, neither has an extra gear.
Old 5/2/05, 02:04 PM
GT Member

Thats what I was just going to say Holdercal, what extra gear?
Old 5/2/05, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

with heavy freeway traffic and speeds of varying 20 mph to 80 mph and a daily commute that is just shy of 60 miles rounds trip I am averaging right at 20mpg.

5 speed manual

And my car regularly see speeds in excess of 90 mph.

Quick Reply: V6 Gas Mileage