V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 fuel economy? how do I get more out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/07, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've already had the tsb done. It exhibited that problem, but the mileage was crappy before that. Wonder of wonders, the first pump they put in was bad, and I had to wait till the next day for another one. Good ole Motorcrap parts! I just don't know where else to turn with this issue. I realize you don't buy one for mileage, even a v-6, but this is atrocious.
Old 6/27/07, 01:34 PM
Cobra R Member

even though your car appears to be running good...maybe get a good local mechanic to do a full tuneup on your car...also have them check your fuel filter and injectors...
Old 6/27/07, 07:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've had the reving thing myself. Sometimes it goes as high as 3000 RPM!

Originally Posted by ex-Galaxie500
you should be able to still enjoy the radio as it draws very little power, the effects of leaving it off would probably be negligible

When I try coasting the engine revs up (sometimes higher than it would be, had I kept it in gear) and down unless I hold in the clutch, I guess the computer is confused that I'm coasting downhill at 40mph with no gas? Anyone else experience this?

Also, if you really just want to go all out, try waxing and clay-barring, heck, maybe even rain-x; make it as slick as possible

Side-view mirrors are real killers... laws... go figure. Maybe find smaller mirrors or a way to streamline them more, paint them?
Old 6/27/07, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
Buy gas at the coolest times of the day/night (you'll get more for the same price! vs buying when the day's at its hottest)
That's not true. Gasoline is stored below ground where the temperature doesn't vary but half a degree around the whole year. The weather outside doesn't do anything to affect how much gasoline you actually get.
Old 6/27/07, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ex-Galaxie500
When I try coasting the engine revs up (sometimes higher than it would be, had I kept it in gear) and down unless I hold in the clutch, I guess the computer is confused that I'm coasting downhill at 40mph with no gas? Anyone else experience this?
That's how manual transmissions work. Your rear end is directly connected to your motor because the clutch is in.
Old 7/2/07, 04:36 PM
GT Member

"As the temperature climbs, you get a worse deal at the service station. It's simple physics, and some consumers and members of Congress want changes made." (When it's hot, you lose at gas pump, Minneapolis-St.Paul Star Tribune)

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
That's not true. Gasoline is stored below ground where the temperature doesn't vary but half a degree around the whole year. The weather outside doesn't do anything to affect how much gasoline you actually get.
Old 7/24/07, 04:39 PM
GT Member

Well, put in a new instrument cluster and info center under warranty today. I'll drive it some tonight when I get off work and see if that might be part of the problem. Tech told me that he hooked a laptop with a program that reads m.p.g. very accurately that they use just for these complaints. Time will tell. We love this car AND my Mach 1, but driving the Mach on highway trips because it gets better mileage just seems stupid. The tech said he felt that the processor and cluster weren't exactly communicating with each other too well. I feel that this car should get 19 m.p.g. in town. I work in parts in a dealership, but I just didn't realize how crucial these clusters are. For instance, he told me that if a Mustang gets a new radio, the info from the old radio must be downloaded into the exchange unit carefully, or half the buttons on the new exchange won't even function. God, sometimes I miss carburetors and am/fm cassette.
Old 7/25/07, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Mark, best way to figure out your mileage is the old fashion way. I have the Pony Package with the MPG info, but I like to compare it with simple math. When you fill up look at how many miles you have and divide that with the numbers of gallons you put in the tank.
I checked mine today and it gets 21.9 in the city.
Old 8/2/07, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Drove 171.4 miles on a full tank. My wife put in 12.690 gallons today. Do the math and it comes up 13.50 m.p.g. The cluster info center reads 15.8. I just believe that something is wrong with this car. I'm going to drive it for this tankful and see if it is driving habits. I can't believe she leadfoots it THAT much. Seriously considering trading for a used '02 Town Car at this point, since the mileage is better. Even the tech is confounded now. HELP!!!
Old 8/2/07, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
"As the temperature climbs, you get a worse deal at the service station. It's simple physics, and some consumers and members of Congress want changes made." (When it's hot, you lose at gas pump, Minneapolis-St.Paul Star Tribune)
It's the laws of nature and they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Temperatures only a few feet below ground only vary MAYBE 2 degrees for an entire year. The only time gasoline will be heated is when it actually comes in on the tanker trucks. It comes out of the refining process "hot". I happen work for the largest open-shop industrial construction company in the country. We BUILD the refineries, I know what I'm talking about.
Old 8/12/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a question for you guys. Maybe it's because my car has such low miles on it but the highest MPG I've gotten in this thing is 17.7. Now most of my driving in city, but this car seems to eat gas like a Viper not a little six banger. I take a short road trip a quarter of a tank is gone! I do use the radio most of the time and I usually roll the windows down, but would that make that big off a difference to only get 17 mpg?

Am I missing something?
Old 8/12/07, 11:32 PM

Well i just picked up an 06 manual 4.0 mustang with 20k on it and so far i am dissapointed with the mpg. Your best bets for better mpg would be a new air filter, a good synthetic oil (i prefer mobile 1), and a new fuel filter. After reading a few bulletins ive seen people claim that the results of changing a fuel filter at only 12-15k miles is very substancial (spelling?).
Im going to replace those 3 things tomorrow on mine.
As far as the windows open or closed. I'd say in city driving you'd get the best with windows open, on the high windows closed and ac on is gonna get the best since the open windows affects the aero dynamics. I could be wrong though.
Old 8/13/07, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, here is what I do to get 23.4 mpg.

Keep in mind I have a lead foot and drive my V6 at the race track where we are at WOT 80% of the time during 30 minute stints. I see about 7-8mpg during a track day.

Here is what I do on my commute to work. Average MPH is 45 for 20+ miles.

First off, I changed my tire pressures. Pumped all four up to 36psi. This affords less rolling resistance.
Second, when I start off from a stand still I get up to the posted speed limit as fast as possible. You burn the same amount of fuel at WOT from a stand still as you do when you are at 1/3 throttle, so might as well get the most out of it to get you up to cruising speed.
Third, on any flat pavemet, at any gear, when cruising I try to keep my RPM's below 2000. My rule of thumb is with a speed limit of 40 MPH or higher I should be in 5th gear.

Try to see if it works for you.

Oh, BTW, you can reset the average MPG reading. Just hit the reset button on the dash if you have that option.
Old 8/13/07, 02:27 PM

good stuff black pony. im going to the garage to put mor air in my tires after i type this. i also use 5th gear when cruisin at 40+. i havent had my car long enough to calculate a solid mpg.

Btw the mpg on the console in cars is usually wrong. its best to hand calculate it. miles driven divided by gallons put into car.
Old 8/14/07, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll scan in a picture of it later, but I got a Ford Ad Booklet thing in the mail, advertising the 2007 Mustang V6 as getting 30MPG. The best I've gotten is roughly 24. Average is 19.
Old 8/16/07, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Before I got my duals the best I got in my 06 v6 Mustang was 27.X miles per gallon (about 23.X miles per gallon on average). Since getting my duals installed I hit a best of 34.X miles per gallon on a 50 mile road trip. Even since then with the duals I'm hitting mid 20s easily and can usually cruise for about 420 miles (the same as when I had my '03 Cavalier) on a tank of gas. It's dropped to about 23 miles per gallon, since the '06 has become my weekend cruiser car, now that I got the '03 v6 as a daily driver.

When I'm driving, I usually let the car coast in areas when I know it can maintain speed and I don't have to have my foot on gas to give it power. I don't overly push it (either Mustang). Sometimes I like to have fun in the '06 v6 and I get a little rough with it but not too much. Don't get the wrong I deal, I don't drive it like a little old lady but I'm not out there flogging it when I'm driving it. I think having the IUP has helped me be a better driver because I'm more consciousness about my driving habits and making sure I get the most out of the car. I usually always cruise with the windows down (unless weather prevents it) or use the fan to bring in cool air (when applicable) and I rarely use air conditioning (although I've been using it more than I usually do lately due to heatwave in the south).

I think the lowest I ever got in the '06 v6 was 16.X miles per gallon and that was my first week of ownership. I've never gotten anything lower than 21 miles per gallon since.
Old 8/29/07, 07:32 PM

holy crap! i'm lucky to get 23 mpg on the interstate...pretty much 21 with city and highway mixed...i had hoped to get 25 or 6 or so
Old 8/29/07, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by landon.moss
holy crap! i'm lucky to get 23 mpg on the interstate...pretty much 21 with city and highway mixed...i had hoped to get 25 or 6 or so
Yea in actuality thats bout what i get these days mixed...
Old 8/30/07, 02:53 PM
GT Member

So far, my new to me '06 G.T. with automatic kicks this little v-6's *** in mileage. My first tank so far has averaged about 17.5 with all in town driving, compared to the 2006 V-6 automatic at 13.5. Crazy, ain't it? All the technicians say is that they can't fix something that they can't find.
Old 8/31/07, 10:39 AM

i talked to the dealership about my extended factory warranty...so i can't add an intake, but i can change the air filter...how about exhaust...he said they would have no problem with a different muffler, but what about dual exhaust? if duals would make it perform better, be more efficient, and sound good i would really consider it instead of just sticking with single...any of you guys no the deal with duals and warranty?

Quick Reply: V6 fuel economy? how do I get more out of it?