V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 fuel economy? how do I get more out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/07, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
V6 fuel economy? how do I get more out of it?

whats the best way to increase fuel economy on the 05-07 V6? I mean on the highway I get 28 mpg and 19 in the city...not bad but with gas so high in price these days...how can I get more? Suggestions?
Old 5/18/07, 09:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry less weight
Don't roll your windows down when driving (use the fan instead)
Recirculate air whenever possible
Have a light foot
Accelerating before coming to an incline is better than accelerating on the incline
Shift at 2-2500 rpm
Don't downshift ... just coast and use your brakes
Stay as close to 1000rpm as possible whenever in gear ... (e.g. cruising at ~50mph on a flat road at 5th gear is just a little above 1000rpm)
Stay at the highest gear possible
Use cruise control!
Keep your tires at the recommended pressure
At a stop for more than a minute? Shut the engine off!
Shut off unnecessary electricity drains (radios, DVD, nav, lights, AC, etc)
Buy gas at the coolest times of the day/night (you'll get more for the same price! vs buying when the day's at its hottest)
Make sure you have a coupe instead of a convertible
Old 5/18/07, 10:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
Carry less weight
Have a light foot
Accelerating before coming to an incline is better than accelerating on the incline
Shift at 2-2500 rpm
Stay as close to 1000rpm as possible whenever in gear ... (e.g. cruising at ~50mph on a flat road at 5th gear is just a little above 1000rpm)
Use cruise control!
Buy gas at the coolest times of the day/night (you'll get more for the same price! vs buying when the day's at its hottest)
wow thank you!!
Old 5/18/07, 11:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should be able to still enjoy the radio as it draws very little power, the effects of leaving it off would probably be negligible

When I try coasting the engine revs up (sometimes higher than it would be, had I kept it in gear) and down unless I hold in the clutch, I guess the computer is confused that I'm coasting downhill at 40mph with no gas? Anyone else experience this?

Also, if you really just want to go all out, try waxing and clay-barring, heck, maybe even rain-x; make it as slick as possible

Side-view mirrors are real killers... laws... go figure. Maybe find smaller mirrors or a way to streamline them more, paint them?
Old 5/19/07, 01:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crayonbreaking
whats the best way to increase fuel economy on the 05-07 V6? I mean on the highway I get 28 mpg and 19 in the city...not bad but with gas so high in price these days...how can I get more? Suggestions?
I`d say your doing pretty good at those figures even at mile-high.
You don`t want to give up the pleasure of your driving it, do you?
Old 5/19/07, 05:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
increase following distance, try timing the lights so you don't have to come to a complete stop. At stop signs try not to stop untill you get to the sign if there is a line of cars in front of you.
I have a auto and putting my car in N it does high idle for a bit while trying to coast. I just leave it in gear while coming to a stop. Its comon I guess its burning off the excess fuel
My Neighbor has a 6er auto and he gets 19 mpg's also. He has a bit of a heavy foot tho.
Old 5/19/07, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
I`d say your doing pretty good at those figures even at mile-high.
You don`t want to give up the pleasure of your driving it, do you?
Never! actually after thinking bout it...i may just continue driving it the way i like to...the funnnn way!
I wonder if there are any aftermarket addons that might help it though?
Old 5/19/07, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Never! actually after thinking bout it...i may just continue driving it the way i like to...the funnnn way!
I wonder if there are any aftermarket addons that might help it though?
I have a SCT X-cal II which theoretically should benefit mileage but the increase driving pleasure it offers is off the scale, especially if you have an auto trans.
Old 5/19/07, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually I read a study the other day that compared gas mileage with AC on vs mileage with windows down vs mileage with windows up/ac off and they couldn't find a difference.
Old 5/19/07, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

myth busters did a test on two expeditions and the one with windows down no air on went farther than the one with air on windows up. The mustangs with the windows down don't seem to have a lot of turblence inside.
Old 5/29/07, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, if you bump your tire pressure to 38 or 40 psi you'll have less rolling resistance. The factory recommended 32 psi is for ride comfort not fuel effiency. The tire's on the V6 are rated to 51psi so you don't have to worry about over inflating them. You will notice a harsher ride but when you take your foot off the gas and coast you will feel less rolling resistance from the tires.

I keep my tires at 38psi and average 23.5 mpg with a lead foot. The dealership set my tires at 31psi once and my gas mileage dropped to 22.3 mpg.

You should check out some of the hybrid forums for gas milage tips. Those guys are pushing some crazy mpg numbers from mods to their hybrid cars. I'd suggest reading the honda insight central for tips.
Old 5/29/07, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

FWIW http://www.bestenergycel.com/ I know some have been tested and many have been proven not to work. Andy Wise a local "mythbuster" reporter in the Memphis area tested this which is actually posted on their website. Now I dunno if maybe they put something in his pocket or it actually worked but I saw the episode the day it aired and he said it did work and showed some dyno numbers etc. Just a lil on the expensive side for me to try out 300$ last I looked don't know if its the same price now though.
Old 5/30/07, 07:20 PM
GT Member

That 28 mpg for highway is pretty good, I'd be happy with those numbers.
Old 5/31/07, 06:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
Carry less weight
Have a light foot
Shift at 2-2500 rpm
Use cruise control!
how much difference will it make?? Is it just because hot things are expanded and cool things are constricted??
How much more gas do you think I would get with a fill up?
Old 5/31/07, 07:49 PM
GT Member

those are pretty decent MPG figures--I've got a heavy foot so anytime I get over 16 in the city I'm happy.
Old 5/31/07, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

hot and cold

Originally Posted by Glenn
how much difference will it make?? Is it just because hot things are expanded and cool things are constricted??
How much more gas do you think I would get with a fill up?
You wouldn`t notice any difference, the gasoline would most likely be underground at a cool temperature anyway. If it was above ground the shear volume in a fuel tank would take days to cool down from one hot day
Old 6/1/07, 10:46 PM
GT Member

not to shabby!

last year when I went to Mustang Week in Myrtle beach I got 29.2 with the air on. Memorial day weekend I went to Lebanon, TN. To judge a car and truck show called Slammin and Jammin, only about 12-16 stangs showed, but anyway I left from charlotte, NC when I got to the show my mpg was 30.1, I double checked it was right, coming back 30.3 and that is through the mountains doing 65-75 mph... I have a C&L cai and a tune from evolution performance in PA, on a sct x cal II I think that is pretty good especially the way I drive....what can I say it's still a mustang!
Old 6/26/07, 08:53 AM
GT Member

My 2006 v-6 Pony Package only gets 16 in town with 8,000 miles on it no matter what the hell we do. I am very disappointed in the mileage; love everything else. The dealer says that they can do nothing unless the light is on. The car runs great, doesn't smell like fuel, and we have checked and checked again. Someone mentioned bad fuel filter, but surely not, not in that many miles. Any other suggestions sure would be appreciated. This is killing me, my 2003 Mach 1 gets 17.5 in town with 4.10 gears! My wife is having a fit!
Old 6/26/07, 03:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARK
My 2006 v-6 Pony Package only gets 16 in town with 8,000 miles on it no matter what the hell we do. I am very disappointed in the mileage; love everything else. The dealer says that they can do nothing unless the light is on. The car runs great, doesn't smell like fuel, and we have checked and checked again. Someone mentioned bad fuel filter, but surely not, not in that many miles. Any other suggestions sure would be appreciated. This is killing me, my 2003 Mach 1 gets 17.5 in town with 4.10 gears! My wife is having a fit!
does it "HESITATION ON ACCELERATION AFTER LONG TSB 06-9-9
CRUISE".....i ask because maybe fuel pump problem re: tsb

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...hesonaccel.pdf
Old 6/27/07, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARK
Same here after 20,000 miles with an X CAL II and auto trans.

Quick Reply: V6 fuel economy? how do I get more out of it?