V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Duals question

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/05 | 12:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, seeing as i've had my Torch '05 'vert for almost a week now. and have only added sequential taillights, it's obviously time to start planning the next mods.

I'm planning on purchasing one of the Cascotech GT take-off packages w/ the two GT mufflers, and adding dual exhausts. My question is, that there seem to be a number of aftermarket dual kits that include a reverse "Y" plus the plumbing back to what appears to be the stock GT locations for the pipes, but they seem to all include their own brand mufflers.

Does anyone make JUST a kit with a reverse "Y" and the pipes? (yeah, I know I could have a custom job done, but I've had muffler places botch two such jobs on other cars, so I'm a little gunshy about giving them a crack at my new baby)
Old 7/1/05 | 12:58 AM
Cobra R Member

www.jbaheaders.com among others.
Old 7/1/05 | 01:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fazm@July 1, 2005, 2:01 AM
www.jbaheaders.com among others.

All I can locate on the JBA site is an axle back muffler system, and headers. Is the pipe kit shown on the site, and I'm just missing it?
Old 7/1/05 | 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Not to muddle your post with irrelevant chatter, but I know what you mean about the exhaust shops. It's TERRIBLE! I've had TONS of exhaust work done at an assortment of shops. I think it's IMPOSSIBLE for a shop to do a dual exhaust and get it strait. In fact, I'm nearly convinced that the factories are hording all of the good exhaust technicians. They are the only folks I've seen that can hang exhaust strait! Well, I'm sure there are some shops out there. I just haven't found them yet, that's for sure.

In fact, shops that I've found that either got mine pretty darn close or that did a fair job on other's cars, will turn around and totally BOTCH someone you send their way, or YOU after being told they're good.

I'm starting to believe that there is another one to add to the list of the greatest lies ever told:

1) The check is in the mail
2) The Engine's been Rebuilt
3) I did not have relations with that woman
4) I know of a REALLY great exhaust shop

Good Luck in finding what you're looking for. With diligence and persistance (and some help from the forum members), I'm sure you'll find what you're after.
Old 7/1/05 | 05:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@July 1, 2005, 12:33 AM
All I can locate on the JBA site is an axle back muffler system, and headers. Is the pipe kit shown on the site, and I'm just missing it?
http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangV6new.asp
it's here, and it even includes their mufflers and all neccesary brackets. It's a great system, but I'm not sure on the price.
Old 7/1/05 | 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gettin' the dual JBA's on at the end of next week... I talked to JBA before I ordered... they suggest you don't buy directly from them... their distributors have all the best deals.
Old 7/1/05 | 06:07 PM
GT Member

I have both the JBA headers and the JBA dual setup. It was a little pricey, but it's what I wanted. A bolt in setup, that I could remove if I needed to. For the valance, I just had the second opening in the drivers side cut. It was fairly easy. When the car was fired up for the first time, I wasn't too sure I liked the sound of it, but it has improved with age. That combined with the Steeda CAI and new tunes from Brenspeed. You can tell when I'm coming quite easily. It does make the car quite abit louder than you may think. At least I think it does.

Before you ask, as of this moment I have no way or posting sound clips, although if I do in the future I'll be sure to post them.

Heres a pic of the duals though.

[attachmentid=26210]
Old 7/1/05 | 08:42 PM
GT Member

I'm in the same boat as Kiley. I just had a GT bumper put on and I have the take off mufflers sitting in a closet. Now I need the pipes. But finding JUST the pipes seems nigh impossible. That JBA set up includes the mufflers and its like $700 (just the pair of mufflers run about $350).

Oh well, I guess it wouldnt be much fun if it were all just at our fingertips.

P.S. I just emailed JBA inquiring about their setup minus the mufflers. I'll let ya know if/when I hear from them.
Old 7/1/05 | 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any half competent muffler shop should be able to bend and run pipes. Theres reaaally not much to it.
Old 7/1/05 | 09:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Zodiac@July 1, 2005, 9:51 PM
Any half competent muffler shop should be able to bend and run pipes. Theres reaaally not much to it.
I know there SHOULDN'T be much to it, but past experience indicates the local shops employ the high quality help from the old Aamco ads (Gee, I always wanted to fix a trans-mish-eee-un

Mismatched positions and crappy brittle welds have been the norm around here in the past.

The JBA isn't really what I need for two reasons: A) I don't need their mufflers and B) Their stuff says "aluminized" if I'm going to the trouble of doing this, I really want stainless pipe for longevity.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Axslynger@July 1, 2005, 6:10 PM
I have both the JBA headers and the JBA dual setup. It was a little pricey, but it's what I wanted. A bolt in setup, that I could remove if I needed to. For the valance, I just had the second opening in the drivers side cut. It was fairly easy. When the car was fired up for the first time, I wasn't too sure I liked the sound of it, but it has improved with age. That combined with the Steeda CAI and new tunes from Brenspeed. You can tell when I'm coming quite easily. It does make the car quite abit louder than you may think. At least I think it does.

Before you ask, as of this moment I have no way or posting sound clips, although if I do in the future I'll be sure to post them.

Heres a pic of the duals though.

[attachmentid=26210]
i'm goin for basically the same setup. I plan to get the JBA catback exhaust by the end of July, then by late Aug install JBA headers. How is the power increase?
Old 7/3/05 | 10:05 AM
V6 Member

If you just want to get the extra pipe for the GT takeoff's, do what I did. I went to the dealer and ordered the exhaust pipe for the 05 GT (drivers side) That way you get the bent pipe for your car. Then just get the muffler shop to either make you up a Y pipe or add either an H or X pipe.
Old 7/3/05 | 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by shave35@July 3, 2005, 11:08 AM
If you just want to get the extra pipe for the GT takeoff's, do what I did. I went to the dealer and ordered the exhaust pipe for the 05 GT (drivers side) That way you get the bent pipe for your car. Then just get the muffler shop to either make you up a Y pipe or add either an H or X pipe.
Thanks Steve, that may be the way I have to go. What did the driver's side pipe run you at the dealer?
Old 7/4/05 | 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@July 3, 2005, 7:55 PM
Thanks Steve, that may be the way I have to go. What did the driver's side pipe run you at the dealer?
Now keep in mind that I'm talking about Canadian prices here, the exhaust pipe for the drivers side was $162.00. But it is marbel bent, and stainless steel plus it is a perfect match to the other side. Plus then if you want to add an X-pipe, Y pipe custom made ( what I did) or H-pipe it just makes it that much easier for the muffler shop to fab up. Hope this helps.
Old 7/4/05 | 10:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Indeed. I'll do some calling and see what it costs locally. I think this is probably the best solution as the local shop would only need to do a limited amount of fabrication.

Originally posted by shave35@July 4, 2005, 10:21 PM
Now keep in mind that I'm talking about Canadian prices here, the exhaust pipe for the drivers side was $162.00. But it is marbel bent, and stainless steel plus it is a perfect match to the other side. Plus then if you want to add an X-pipe, Y pipe custom made ( what I did) or H-pipe it just makes it that much easier for the muffler shop to fab up. Hope this helps.
Old 8/19/05 | 11:55 PM
V6 Member

Did anyone else get a chance to go this route and I was wondering how well it worked. Seems like a pretty good idea just not many other have used it and I'm hopeful that more information could be provided using this idea.
Old 8/20/05 | 04:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't yet. That's most likely the next thing to get knocked off my "to do" list in the coming weeks.
Old 8/30/05 | 07:39 PM
V6 Member

Anyone have anything new to report on a duel system? I have my GT Mufflers sitting in the Garage while my car is being repaired (got rear ended and slamed into a F-150 dealer putting on GT front and back) Looking forward to putting on the mufflers
Old 8/31/05 | 10:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I bought a GT take off sytem (pipes and mufflers) and had it installed 08/31/2005. INCREDIBLE!!! Sound, throttle response, and looks are all AWESOME!! I highly reccommend this inexpensive conversion, more so than spending many hundreds of dollars for Magna-Flows, Borlas etc.
I have a V6 'Vert, the new sound of the exhaust allows me to carry on a conversation at normal voice levels with top down. Mild acceleration elevates the exhaust note to a pleasant rumble, stomping it gives a nice throaty roar. Can't wait to hear it with a CAI set up!
The particulars: LOU'S CUSTOM EXHAUST, 1-508-588-5555, (Brockton Mass) ask for Paul (son) or Skippy (father). Tell them shop was posted on the TMS website as a willing and VERY REASONABLELY priced place to have the systems installed. You can bring your GT take offs, they will install your pipes amd mufflers, or custom bend new pipes to go with your GT mufflers, or sell an entire Flowmaster kit (50 series or 40 series).
IF YOU OPT FOR FORD: Make sure you have the FACTORY hangers, it makes the install faster and most proper. Your V6 passenger side pipe CAN BE USED (they will cut the damper weights) and you can buy just the drivers side pipe.
BOSTON AREA: if you need hangers or pipes (Cluster conversions too!) or any other 05/06 parts, the Parts Manager at Sentry South Linc/Merc will gladly help out. 1-617-825-8900 xt 13, Mark Bacon is who to ask for. He will give you a more than reasonable cost on ALL needed items. (He is a long time friend, willing to help!)
The skinny: Paul unbolted the pass side pipe and muffler for removal, installed pass. side set-up, measuerd and cut the Y-Pipe just after the tranny cross member, installed hangers and driver side muffler, made template and then cut rear bumper cover, installed pipe, measured and fabricated H-Pipe, tack welded system, balanced, plummed and leveled all parts of the system, checked clearences and tail pipe entension from beneath the bumper cover, and then did final welding. total time; LESS THAN 3 HOURS (He did suggest GT rear bumper cover!)
COST will vary from install to install, (I had all the parts except H-Pipe, my cost 200.00 for install and fabrication) depending on your needs, but both Skippy and Paul assure me that they will be the most reasonably priced, with the highest degree of quality. (They are both gearheads too!)
Give them a call if you are in the Boston area. They were the only shop (called 5 others) who agreed to do the factory install, only shop who did not try to talk me into Flow-Masters or other set-up, and were the only shop that wanted me in as the FIRST car of the day, not the last. Can't say enough good things about the over-all quality!
Old 8/31/05 | 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Forgot to mention: Hangers were about 70.00 for the pair from Mark. He said pipes would be about 110.00 each. Paul recommends using H-Pipe set-up as opposed to X or reverse Y. Hope this is helpful to all!

Quick Reply: V6 Duals question