V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/08, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 dual exhaust

I'm thinking about duals for my car, but am not sure how expensive a project it would be. Would it be better to replace the rear valance instead of trying to notch it to clear the tailpipe? As far as pipes go, do I just need an X pipe and 2nd muffler?
Old 8/5/08, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Magnaflow Dual Exhaust installed last year $835.00 (Canadian). I took the mustang to an autobody shop I am familar with it took them perhaps ten minutes to make the cut in the rear valance. With regard to the pipes, if your interested in a particular brand you should go to their site for information on an X pipe or Y pipe.

Below is the link to the Magnaflow site. The kit for the V6 is #16605.

The Official Site of MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Comp.
Old 8/5/08, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I got my duals on my V6 for $380 installed. He even cut out the valance for me. Though I am a friend of a friend of the guy who owns the shop. It sounds so muscular and I love it. Well worth it. Here is a video of it...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...&current=d.flv

Old 8/5/08, 11:35 PM
GT Member

EBAY

go on ebay and find a GT take-off, I only paid 80.00 + ship with muffs, through them away and went with magnaflows, found a GT rear bump also 80.00 and the guy threw in the front bump because it took him so long to ship. front bump is spare, I have a Xenon front. I also added a pypes X pipe and a set of JBA hdrs.
Old 8/6/08, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

I've seen take-offs on the V6 Mustang Stuff site, but wasn't sure exactly what parts I'd need to convert to a true dual setup. I don't know what original parts can be reused.
Old 8/6/08, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I went to rockauto.com and got the x pipe and drivers side mid pipe for a little over $150. They also have the hangers for the drivers side muffler as well. When all was said and done I was just under $200 with tax/shipping.

Last edited by Scootr; 8/6/08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 8/6/08, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Okay then, so I just need the left muffler with hanger, the X pipe and mid pipe and that's it? The existing mid pipe gets reused? I guess I need a parts list. Is notching the valance something the exhaust shop can do without f-ing it up?
Old 8/6/08, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kingfish
Okay then, so I just need the left muffler with hanger, the X pipe and mid pipe and that's it? The existing mid pipe gets reused? I guess I need a parts list. Is notching the valance something the exhaust shop can do without f-ing it up?

Yep, but I would get a set of used GT mufflers so you have a matching set. Those can be picked up rather cheap on fleabay or check the for sale sections of different mustang forums. Yes, the passenger side uses the existing midpipe...all you need is what you said, the x pipe,midpipe for drivers side and hanger for drivers side muffler. I used this template from Pypes http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-69-bumper-cutout02.pdf . ,very easy to cut out. I scored the outline with a very sharp razor knife then used my dremel to cut out the rest. Go to this site http://info.rockauto.com/Walker/Deta...ml?77-5051.jpg and you will see the part #'s needed off of rockauto.com...they are # 53420 (x-pipe), 55248 (midpipe) and 36411 (muffler hanger for driver side). hope this helps. Rockauto was awesome to deal with and very fast to ship.

Last edited by Scootr; 8/6/08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 8/7/08, 09:56 AM

I'll sell you my used set of gt take-offs for $100 shipping included. They were welded on. When I got my Borla/FRPP mufflers put on the exhaust shop cut the old ones so the pipe on the back of the muffler is a little shorter than normal, but I'm sure whichever exhaust shop you take them too can fix them. Oh and you'll need the driver side mid pipe and an x or h pipe. Let me know if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails V6 dual exhaust-p1010317.jpg   V6 dual exhaust-p1010318.jpg  
Old 8/8/08, 09:21 PM

Let me throw my two cents in and I'll tell you what I did.

Bought a pair of GT take mufflers off ebay for $35.00 + shipping. Bought an FRPP X-pipe off ebay. I would have to look up in my records to get a price for that. Bought a pair of GT mid-pipes off one of the members on here for $80.00 I think. The GT setup is 2 1/4 " diameter and the V6 is 2" so I had to to have an enlarger between the cats and the mids. Bought a hanger from KC. Lastly, I bought a GT rear bumper cover from another TMS member that was already in my colour for $125.00 + shipping. Had to do a bit of welding on the enlarger and pipes as we didn't have the proper connectors and time was running late and I needed the car back on the road.
So for about $325.00 I have dual exhaust that looks exactly like a GT as well as being the same size from the cats back. The sound is a LOT better and I noticed a slight performance upgrade as well. It didn't take much to swap out the bumper covers. Just a bunch of rivets. I am very lucky that I have a brother who has a big garage with a hoist and is very mechanically inclined so he did most of the work for me. We trade off work. When he needs some machining done, he comes to me.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, also bought a pair of polished muffler tips.
I'd put up some pics but really, just look at a GT and thats exactly what I have.
Old 8/8/08, 09:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like my Pony is missing a ******** without dual exhaust...
Old 8/10/08, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by canadian_pony
So for about $325.00 I have dual exhaust that looks exactly like a GT as well as being the same size from the cats back. The sound is a LOT better and I noticed a slight performance upgrade as well.
That sounds great CP, where did the 2nd cat come from? Or does the V6 already have two? Did you have to reflash the ECU?

Last edited by Kingfish; 8/10/08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 8/10/08, 10:32 PM

The 6ers come with 2 cats. The mid-pipes don't meet exactly in the centre of the car so I had to align the x-pipe up to the existing mids and cut the pipes where it would work in order to put the new x-pipe into the centre. I then welded the enlarger onto the cut pipes which turned out to be just behind the cats. Once that was done it was an easy setup. X-pipe is 2 1/4" and so are the GT mids so its just an easy clamping procedure. I test fit everything first. There ended up being a slight Z axis ( as opposed to a Y-axis ) angle difference between the x-pipe and the mids but a little finese got it to work. I don't know why it didn't work perfectly but oh well, stuff happens.

I didn't know about reflashing the ECU so I didn't do that. Its not throwing any codes, everything seems to be working great and slightly better performance as well as the better sound. So......... I would say that its not necessary to reflash the ECU.

I got all my information from the great guys and girls on here. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find even more info. I think there is even a write up with pics on here someplace if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

I have to get my CAI and tune done soon. These three mods, I'm told, really make us 6ers happier campers in the performance department.
Old 8/10/08, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I feel like my Pony is missing a ******** without dual exhaust...

^
Old 8/10/08, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is mine Magnaflow my muffler guy need to complete some mods to complete the install, left hanger and match up to the Y pipe.
Old 8/10/08, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

whoops forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails V6 dual exhaust-30_47.jpg   V6 dual exhaust-30_44.jpg  
Old 8/11/08, 08:49 AM
GT Member

hang-on

Incase you didn't know the mufflers have 2 hangers on each, the V6 comes
with 2, you'll need 2 more hangers to go with the duals and you need two on each or your exhaust will move around and sometimes clank when you hit a bump. look for the hangers on ebay or another source, they are around 50.00 apiece at Ford....junkyard...Oh! all 4 hangers are the same there is no right or left
Old 9/2/08, 09:10 AM

Can anyone explain WHY the conversion to dual exhaust isn't 2 SEPARATE exhausts going from the headers to the mufflers?

It's always either an X-pipe or H-pipe configuration. Why force the flow from both headers into a single pipe? (even if only briefly) this increases resistance...
Old 9/29/08, 01:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ROCK&ROLL24/7
Can anyone explain WHY the conversion to dual exhaust isn't 2 SEPARATE exhausts going from the headers to the mufflers?

It's always either an X-pipe or H-pipe configuration. Why force the flow from both headers into a single pipe? (even if only briefly) this increases resistance...
This is how it was explained to me many years ago for v-8s, the angles and timing will be different for a v-6 but the principle is the same. An X-pipe or H-pipe aids in scavenging. The X-pipe works better at higher RPMs than an H-pipe but both aid in smoothing out the exhaust pulses. When an exhaust valve is opened a high pressure pulse is created and when the valve closes an area of low pressure is created behind it. This low pressure area will aid in pulling the next pressure pulse away from the same bank of the engine after the crank rotates 180 degrees from the previous exhaust pulse. Now the same thing is happening on the other bank of the engine but the exhaust pulses are 90 degrees offset from the first bank. Adding a crossover pipe (X or H) allows the area of low pressure from one bank to pull the area of high pressure from the other bank. The net result is lower back pressure on the engine, a smoother exhaust sound and the elimination of popping in the exhaust.

It also works for two cylinder motorcycles. Next time you happen to come upon a Harley parked at the curb look real close behind the leading cylinder's muffler; you'll see a black painted crossover pipe running from just in front of the rear muffler to just in front of the leading muffler. On the older EVO Sportsters they didn't even hide it, it was that bright chrome piece running just under the air cleaner.

Bob
Old 9/30/08, 07:48 AM

Excellent explanation Bob! I really appreciate that.. THANKS!