V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/05, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the 5-speed for a 6-speed manual tranny?

I know it is a LOT of work to go from automatic to manual but I would assume it is fairly easy to swap the manual tranny (if Ford makes one that will fit).
Old 11/5/05, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05BlackVert@November 5, 2005, 1:18 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the 5-speed for a 6-speed manual tranny?

I know it is a LOT of work to go from automatic to manual but I would assume it is fairly easy to swap the manual tranny (if Ford makes one that will fit).

I read somewhere of transmission swaps on rangers to the borg something or another T5. Didn't you post this once before or on another forum? Anyway if you plan on doing it I wouldn't go the dealer route, you would pay way too much for sure. I would google " 4.0L ranger transmission swaps".

Also, considering how much this may cost you, you may want to consider trading in your car, paying the difference and getting one with a manual. I know the new stangs have started showing up at carmax and such. Carmax is pretty good on giving you a decent price on your trade.

Hope that helps.
Old 11/5/05, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

No, I have not posted this anywhere before.

I have changed a clutch / throw out baring on a '98 5-speed in the garage with the car on ramps.

I have not looked at the '05 but I am guessing it would be the same.

Just thought it would be nice to have a 6-speed manual with 4.10's (I do a lot of highway driving).
Old 11/5/05, 09:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Really dont think the car has enough power to take advantage of usina 6 speed. Might cancel out the added acceleration with added shifts. Its not like an rsx-s that has a 6 speed to keep the RPMS up way high in the power band, the v6 has a lot of low end torque.

now the 6speed in my cobra... thats a lil diff lol.
Old 11/6/05, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From his questions, I don't think he was looking at the 6-speed for pure performance, just hoping to get a really tall 6th gear to offset the mileage hit of the 4.10's

The way I'd look at it, is even if possible, it's going to be costly and would take a long time to pay for itself, even at current gas prices.
Old 11/6/05, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by P_Kiley@November 6, 2005, 9:14 AM
From his questions, I don't think he was looking at the 6-speed for pure performance, just hoping to get a really tall 6th gear to offset the mileage hit of the 4.10's

The way I'd look at it, is even if possible, it's going to be costly and would take a long time to pay for itself, even at current gas prices.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant to say.

It is not so much the mileage drop, but I also dont want to push the engine too hard. When I am on the highway I usually cruise at around 75MPH and that would put me somewhere past 2600RPM in 5th gear (I think).
Old 11/7/05, 10:08 AM
GT Member

after I retuned my stang w/ diablosport predator and a CAI I can hit 75 at 2400 rpms, which is roughly 100rpms better than it was stock (on a manual)
Old 11/7/05, 12:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Retuning it would have no effect on rpm vs. speed. Only changing gear ratios can change that.
Old 11/7/05, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@November 7, 2005, 2:22 PM
Retuning it would have no effect on rpm vs. speed. Only changing gear ratios can change that.

or tires... hehehe... wait a minute... that gets me thinking... perhaps his tune has the wrong tire size... ??? I know that SCT Extreme Tune seems to calculate the wrong revs per mile based on tire mesurements... perhaps his tune has the wrong revs per mile????
Old 11/7/05, 04:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Swapping out manual tranny's, there are a couple things to consider.
- bolt pattern to bell-housing or bellhousing to block, however it mounts up.
- Whether the clutch lever/throwout bearing will still be useable
- transmisison length, which could lead to a new drive-shaft
- the afore-mentioned gear ratios, and getting a trans with ratios that compliment the rear-end gears
- whether a new rear-trans-mount/crossmember will be needed.
- shifter location/linkage

I thought I'd seen discussions on the different gear ratios offered on different 5 and 6 speed transmissions (might have just compared manual to auto though, I'm a little fuzzy on it). Try searching for that.

As for the other stuff, I don't think the bolt pattern will be a big hurdle, but I haven't looked at these transmissions. The shifter linkage could be fun, especially with the remote linkage on the stock trans. If the replacement is different, you'd probably have to customize the parts to fit back into the existing hole in your tranny tunnel.

I'm certainly no pro, but I did once install a '77 302 into a Mazda B2200, and used a T5 (then later a T5R) in it. for me, it was fairly straight forward, since the trans came from a Mustang, and bell housing and tranny bolted right up to the block. I also had found a company in Canada that was making the rear trans mount cross member, so that was easy. And, the shifter just happened to poke right through the existing hole, with no problem. Clutch linkage for me was a little different, I found a hydrolic slave cylinder that mounted to the bell housing, and had to have a custom line made to go from the stock mazda master cylinder to the new slave, and it always seemed to need adjusting, no mater what I did. And since it was a custom match up like that, I had a custom one-piece drive-shaft made also.

If you can eliminate most of those hurdles, it shouldn't be too hard though. Good luck, and remember, if you do it, post lots of pics!