V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Top 5 reasons YOU bought a V6

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im interrested in what drove you guys to purchase the V6 instead of any other car (GT Mustang or otherwise). I realize that may folks may not have had the choice. Your vote counts too. What drove you to the V6 mustang over other choices in your price range? Tell us your story too!

My Top 5 reasons (in no specific order):

1) More interior options at the expense of the V8
2) Less money in Gas
3) Cheaper insurance
4) Cheaper Monthly Payment
5) More stylish than a Toyota

My wife and I started looking at cars after we moved about 40 miles outside of the city in which we work. The obvious factors at play in that situation are dependability, gas milage and interior comfort. I've been a Mustang-aholic ever since I purchased my 1966 coupe 4-5 years ago.

I've been on this forum since the beginning of time, and I have LOVED the 05 since it was captured in that sketch (the infamous blue sketch). I've watched this site for info and news about the new mustang, and I attended car shows many MANY miles away just to see it in person. My wife knew I was head over heels for the new mustang, and as for me? Well, I knew we would eventually need a family car. I faught it over and over in my head, but a sports car didn't make sense over a family car.

I told my wife we would keep our options open and look at all cars as equal. I went to a Ford dealer FIRST in December of last year and to my surprise, they had 2 05's on the lot. One I instantly fell in love with was a white V6 with red interior. It was gorgeous. In fact, the dealer even let me test drive her. It was love instantly. It had everything I wanted.

Then we looked at a few Toyotas, and I just couldn't stand them. All I could think of was "MY" Mustang sitting there calling my name. My family has always LOVED Toyotas. It's mostly the bullit proof quality (see my 1988 pickup w/237,000+ and still running strong). My wife could see the sadness in my eyes and told me that the Mustang was the car we were getting. She knew how much I loved it and how long I had followed it. It also (while not being a family car) fit into our budget of gas needs, insurance costs, monthly payments, and being more than comfortable.

We decided to put off a family for a few years in favor of enjoying our youth. What a SPLENDID decision that was! We baught the car for a very reasonable price. This car (While not having the sound and power of the GT) fits our buget nicely and has provided TONS of enjoyment. I wouldn't trade her for any other car on the road within my pricerange.

Perhaps some day I can get a GT, but for now... my Souped up 66 will provide all of the thunderous V8 action I crave.

BTW, I convinced my wife that the coolest family car to buy would be a Dodge Magnum. She's convinced, and someday we'll have that amazing family car to back up the always cool and never out of style Mustang.
Old 7/18/05, 01:41 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just a Q, but why not a Charger?
Old 7/18/05, 01:44 PM
GT Member

1. It was AVAILABLE without a huge markup
2. Insurance

And that's about it.

However, I am really happy with the car. It's as fast as my other Mustangs and still turns heads. I'd buy another V6 in a heartbeat!
Cobra Member

oh my my my...well i have always loved mustangs my first two cars were Mustangs an 80 and an 86 both 2.3liters well i traded my 86 in 15 years ago :bang: and have been mustangless since. being married with kids we didnt feel it was appriate to own a stang(stupid i know) when the 05s came out my wife kept telling me to go look at one-I said no(didnt realize she would buy it)she even wanted to take me to the dealership on my birthday...
well she decided she wanted to traded in her car, so after looking at ugly family sedans. i said the heck with it and went to the Ford dealership the rest is history
God its great to be in a Mustang again...
oh the reason i chose a V-6:
didnt want to wait for a GT
wouldnt have been able to change/mod the GT
dont need all the power of the GT
found what i wanted on the lot(twice)
wouldnt have been able to get the second one since Cher loves the Stang as much as I do and we were fighting over it....
Its a STANG!!!!
Mach 1 Member

I voted OTHER because there wasn't an option for ALL OF THE ABOVE

Old 7/18/05, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL! I pushed for the Magnum because of the wagon. While it's no SUV, it certainly gives more room than a sedan for putting stuff in the back. Dunno... am I wrong there? I know the back isn't huge on that car (We've looked at several and sat in them), but I figured the hatch would offer just a little more space. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way... The Mustang was surly the right choice, HANDS DOWN!
Old 7/18/05, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

The reason I got the V6 was I actually liked the appearance better than the GT at the time. I liked the Shelby-style wheels more, and I didn't care for the "ground effects" style lower lips on the GT. I've since gotten used to the GTs looks, but when I was shopping I really did like the V6 better. I test drove both and didn't feel that for daily driving the small performance difference was worth the cost difference. I'm pretty jaded on performance because I have several performance bikes, and the sensation of hurtling along at a 10 second clip with no body around you kind of renders moot the difference in performance of a GT and V6 :P Yes, the GT is faster, but I don't street race and rarely punch the pedal in everyday driving, so it's academic. And of course there was the matter of being able to get exactly what I wanted on a V6 (black vert w/ ICAP) or having to settle for a color combo I didn't want on the GT (unless I ordered it). I've never been big on waiting!
Old 7/18/05, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@July 18, 2005, 3:47 PM
I voted OTHER because there wasn't an option for ALL OF THE ABOVE

Ditto here!!
Old 7/18/05, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Phillip this is a great topic!!! Thanks!!
Old 7/18/05, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW, why is the poll TOP 5 REASONS, when you can technically only pick one
Old 7/18/05, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Would be dead right now if I'd gotten the V8
2. Love the new Mustang but can't afford the GT
3. Other cars in this price range don't have the same flare
4. The "foglight delete" actually grew on me-looks cleaner
5. Readily available at dealership
Old 7/18/05, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@July 18, 2005, 2:20 PM
1. Would be dead right now if I'd gotten the V8
2. Love the new Mustang but can't afford the GT
3. Other cars in this price range don't have the same flare
4. The "foglight delete" actually grew on me-looks cleaner
5. Readily available at dealership
its not slow at ALL and gas mileage + it will insure the whole fam
Old 7/18/05, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tres Wright@July 18, 2005, 3:50 PM
The reason I got the V6 was I actually liked the appearance better than the GT at the time. I liked the Shelby-style wheels more, and I didn't care for the "ground effects" style lower lips on the GT. I've since gotten used to the GTs looks, but when I was shopping I really did like the V6 better. I test drove both and didn't feel that for daily driving the small performance difference was worth the cost difference. I'm pretty jaded on performance because I have several performance bikes, and the sensation of hurtling along at a 10 second clip with no body around you kind of renders moot the difference in performance of a GT and V6 :P Yes, the GT is faster, but I don't street race and rarely punch the pedal in everyday driving, so it's academic. And of course there was the matter of being able to get exactly what I wanted on a V6 (black vert w/ ICAP) or having to settle for a color combo I didn't want on the GT (unless I ordered it). I've never been big on waiting!
Oh, yeah... I can't believe that I forgot that I don't really like the fog lights. I've gotten used to them, too but, like you, I really didn't like them at the time. I also still prefer the trim on the V6.

What was I thinking? :scratch:
Old 7/18/05, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Funny.....I could have had a black GT in November right off the lot. I wound up waiting for the V6 for 2 weeks while my dealer actually gave me the runaround. I went to another dealer after searching the internet and found a black V6 on the lot that was exactly what I wanted. The rest is in my driveway.

Anyway....Insurance for one.....mileage second.....Winter weather....three (thought the GT would be a little rougher in the snow in NY) I really didn't need all the power of the GT, but I wound up doin' mods anyway. I knew sooner or later my daughter was going to get behind the wheel when I borrowed her pathfinder for lugging band gear around. With all that said I still think the V6 was the right choice for me.

Maybe a GT in the future..........who knows.
Old 7/18/05, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I could have swung a basic Deluxe GT Coupe, or a loaded Premium 'vert. with all the bells and whistles for the same dough. The lure of the great outdoors won.

Gas and insurance costs were secondary considerations
Old 7/18/05, 10:12 PM

Either could get coupe GT or another V6 vert (last car was 00 V6 vert). Having a convertible was far more important for me.
Old 7/18/05, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well It was impossible to obtain a GT no matter what I did. 2 orders and neither was succesful. If I hadn't gotten the V6 I'd be carless/mustangless and with a load of stress on how to get to school. (today was my 1st day)

I saved what I didn't use, it will be used later and I will make it grow. I don't mind the power, looks of the 6 so I got it no problem. I won't be getting rid of her, I have gained an unexplainable bond.
Old 7/18/05, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, the Insurance was a slam-dunk reason I had to go with the V6. My 1988 Supercharged GT would cost $2,000 every 6 months so that my teenage boy could also drive it. A brand-new 2006 V6 is only $374 every 6 months for insurance. I miss my Supercharged Mustang, but I must have another car that my whole family can now drive. I sold my 88 to a friend and he is taking very good care of it, so I do feel OK about loosing my rocket ship, as it has gone to a good home.
Brian.
Old 7/18/05, 11:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

1. Topless on any given day for about 8 grand less than a GT 'Vert

2. Options I wanted, Color my wife wanted, Price we both wanted

3. Purchased at INVOICE cost, no hassle no waiting

4. A cleaner body style, able to add mods OUR way

5. 210HP is more than enough :cop:

On top of these reasons... gas milage, better weight balance ratio, teenage sons soon to be driving...... and did I mention TOPLESS for 8 grand less than a GT?!!
Old 7/19/05, 05:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Excellent posts all. It's really great to hear folks stories. I get the consensus that the car is an overall winner for most folks for mostly the same reasons.

I recall a rash of posts on here right after the cars came out talking about V6's VS GT's. There were some really hardcore folks on here that said... "All or Nothin'. If you can't afford a GT, don't bother". Mostly I think the battle lines were drawn on OTHER forums. Well, the funny thing is... the silly little V6 has helped elevate the overall Mustang sales past the famed Chrysler, and together, the V6 and GT Mustangs are making bold statements, while drawing new crowds into Ford dealers (myself being in that crowd).

The Mustang is becoming a legend all over again, and it's happening just like it did the first time. People want to be a part of the phenomenon and are taking that which they are able. I think that while the GT is a beautifully refined piece of machinery, the V6 gives people the economy and practicality they need with the stunning good looks that they crave. The Mustang has ALWAYS been about choices.

Every now and then, as I read through these and other forums, I come across embattled GT owners that are still a little miffed about how well designed the V6 cars are. To those of us that own a V6, we know the differences between our cars and the GT's. We have accepted those differences, and the best part is that we still get an amazingly stylish car for an increadible price (while sacraficing that hard to pass up grumble and rumble of the V8). Some of the GT folks (Very few - I know 99% of the folks on these forums are incredibly kind, considerate, and supportive of their little brothers and sisters) are upset that there isn't ENOUGH visual distiction between the GT and the V6 to essentially justify the additional cost. We are thrilled because we get an amazing looking car for an amazing price (even AFTER we purchased it).

I am in love with that V8 rumble and the thrill of getting slammed into my seat. I'll never grow tired of it. Yet, for the daily commute, I think this little 6 does a splendid job of having the affordability I need, looking good, and giving me just enough power to keep me happy during my comute.

Hats off to any of the GT owners reading this. If I could have justified it, I would have done it too! Congratulations on being part of the rebirth of the Muscle car.

Hats off to Ford for realizing that the V6 owners want a stylish car too, not just a dumbed down version of the GT.

Most importantly, Hats off to you guys for being the folks in the trenches. Without V6 sales, the mustang wouldn't be posting the amazing volume that is literally carrying Ford on its back right now.

FYI Lynell, I knew when I changed it to Top 5 that it would confuse. I did that because I wanted to encourage folks to post more info about their choice. I was hoping that people would vote for the #1 reason and then list off the top 5 reasons. I guess I should have been more clear in my initial post.

Thanks for the great turn out all. Keep em coming. I'm enjoying the read!

Quick Reply: Top 5 reasons YOU bought a V6