V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Stupid question with tune

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/05, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the procedure for changing one of your programed tunes. I don't have one yet. But.....if i'm in town looking for low end performance, then hit the freeway and want gas milage, can I do it that quick? Whats the procedure?
Old 11/14/05, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Lincv8@November 14, 2005, 9:18 PM
Whats the procedure for changing one of your programed tunes. I don't have one yet. But.....if i'm in town looking for low end performance, then hit the freeway and want gas milage, can I do it that quick? Whats the procedure?
The first time you load a "tune" into your car it takes a little longer since the tuner has to download the stock tune from the car... but after that it's much quicker.. I've never timed it but I can flash my car in less than 2 minutes... maybe a minute? It's pretty quick... I've actually done it more than once on the side of the road...

Now the other part of you question... a tune for low end performance and one for better gas mileage? My understanding is a 91 octane tune will give you better gas mileage than an 89 octane tune... So i'm not sure about a low end peformance vs gas mileage.... ???
Old 11/14/05, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scrming@November 14, 2005, 9:29 PM
The first time you load a "tune" into your car it takes a little longer since the tuner has to download the stock tune from the car... but after that it's much quicker.. I've never timed it but I can flash my car in less than 2 minutes... maybe a minute? It's pretty quick... I've actually done it more than once on the side of the road...

Now the other part of you question... a tune for low end performance and one for better gas mileage? My understanding is a 91 octane tune will give you better gas mileage than an 89 octane tune... So i'm not sure about a low end peformance vs gas mileage.... ???

Wouldn't putting the stock tune give him the best gas milage if he is running with no mods?
Old 11/14/05, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@November 14, 2005, 10:03 PM
Wouldn't putting the stock tune give him the best gas milage if he is running with no mods?

my understanding is that advancing the timing (which requires higher Octane gas) can improve your gas mileage...

I have a N20 that has the timing retarded... I asked what would happens, beside decreased performance, if I left this tune in all the time... Lidio said it wouldn't hurt anything, just decrease my gas mileage.. I have read else where when properly tuned for higher octance gas you get better gas mileage... the question is of course it is enough to offset the higher cost of the gas??