V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

STEEDA Sport Shifter Kit

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/06, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is listed by Steeda to be for the V6 and GT...

Has anyone tried this on their V6? If so, is it worth the $139, or should we wait for a real shifter kit?

It's not fair that the GT bubbas get all the mods...
Old 2/12/06, 03:20 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GMC Woo @ February 12, 2006, 11:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This is listed by Steeda to be for the V6 and GT...

Has anyone tried this on their V6? If so, is it worth the $139, or should we wait for a real shifter kit?

It's not fair that the GT bubbas get all the mods...
[/b][/quote]

ABSOLUTLY [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] This mod is worth it. I did not do my 'install write-up' on it yet as I'm still working on the pix. Basically the "hard parts" are:

1. You do need to drop the driveshaft. This was not a prob since we were putting in my truetrac @ the same time.

2. Some minor fabrication of the factory shifter linkage is needed. The stock shift lever has a round stamped steel insert which connects it to the linkage. You need to take this off w/ a dremel or grinding wheel. This allows you to insert that gold colored ring bearing (looks almost like a Briley bushing to me) from the pic into the factory shift linkage. I also STRONGLY recommend spending the extra few pennies to get the bright red Steeda poly bushings. My total cost for this 'economy' kit and the Steeda bushings was around $150 bux, delivered & drop shipped to my door from the good folks @ Steeda in Pompano Beach, FL.

3. Fitted the shifter back to the tranny w/ no probs. I also took the opportunity to fit the center console w/ redline goods leather shift boots and topped my new Steeda shift lever w/ a UPR Chrome ****. Twist those bolts you see in the ring collar from the pic to set your shift points and your done!

Bottomline: [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] Amazing.

Nice, sweet, SHORT, solid throws. WELL worth the time. A killer upgrade.

IMHO: Since this installation does require a bit of hands-on w/ the driveshaft & the fact that you need to still remove& re-install the linkage , buying a tri-ax (even if the made one for us V6 guys) would still be somewhat involved. Even for the GT folks, my advice is take the 10 minutes or so w/ a dremel to fabricate the factory shift linkage and install the nice bright red Steeda poly bushings. I'm so satisfied w/ this mod that IMHO I don't think spending the extra $$$ for a tri-ax (if one existed for us v6 folks) would really gain anything over this so-called 'economy' shifter upgrade.

Regrets: This was my second "big" Steeda upgrade, after the CAI. NOW I know the Steeda stuff works SO well I'm buying MORE stuff from them. Springs and G-trac brace are on the way. The only regret is you will want to spend even MORE money on Steeda parts upgrading your car because it works so well. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Now that I've been to shifter-school and really gotten to know my shift linkage, I've studied the 'Hurst' shifter. IMHO what the GT folks get w/ a 'Hurst' shifter is the Hurst name & Heritage. The linkage on the 'Hurst' kit looks like they used the stock OEM linkage w/ a fancier paint job & some powdercoating for appearance. IMHO the Steeda 'economy' kit is the best shifter upgrade around & does not have you spending money on the extra parts (IE: new linkage) that you don't really need as long as you buy the poly bushings.
Old 2/12/06, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been wondering about this for a while now. I want to put in a short throw shifter but I want an actual new shifter and ****. Hurst has one for our V6's that will be out soon. They told me it will be this Spring in a recent email. This will be the coolest but will be 200 - 300 dollars according to Mr. Gasket.com. This is a little pricey, so if the Steeda shift assembly reduces the throw by about the same amount then I may go with this soon.
Old 2/12/06, 04:06 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorchRedV6 @ February 12, 2006, 5:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've been wondering about this for a while now. I want to put in a short throw shifter but I want an actual new shifter and ****.

--->> Thats EXACTLY what this economy shifter is. A new shifter. The revised spherical bearing on the bottom of the Steeda gives you the short, precise throws.

Hurst has one for our V6's that will be out soon.

--->> Don't waste the money. The only thing you get is a new bottom linkage. The new bottom linkage IMHO is a pointless upgrade since the ratios of how fast you can/cannot shift and how you set the shift 'gating' is all in the TOP part of the shifter -- which is exactly what this 'economy' shifter is. This shift kit is the smart money upgrade regardless of V6 or GT...

[/b][/quote]
Old 2/12/06, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

esorense, great to know that someone on here has finally done this. Can't wait to hear your writeup with pics. So how does it feel driving with it? Is it harder to shift? Firmer feel? How much does it reduce the throw by? I was hoping it will halve it, but what do you think? Glad you are enjoying it, and you may just have convinced me to go Steeda!
Old 2/12/06, 04:54 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorchRedV6 @ February 12, 2006, 6:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
esorense, great to know that someone on here has finally done this. Can't wait to hear your writeup with pics. So how does it feel driving with it? Is it harder to shift? Firmer feel? How much does it reduce the throw by? I was hoping it will halve it, but what do you think? Glad you are enjoying it, and you may just have convinced me to go Steeda!
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] That is esorense describing driving this car. Oh, yea at the same time we did the shifter and truetrac, we put in a set of the Ultimate Pedals from Ultimate Pedals from West Boca Raton, FL. I got the 'heel-toe' accel pedal w/ the heel-toe flange. Yea, we threaded a bunch of projects together. In fact, we got a little too crazy. We were drilling in the Ultimate Pedals @ the same time the rear driveshaft & brake disk rotor assemblies were out for the truetrac install, so we compressed the brake calipers [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] . That was a fun one to fix @ 2 in the morning but we got it done.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img]

--> That is esorense describing when he cannot go outside to drive around in the car w/ the new shifter and pedals.

Is it harder to shift? No. Does it feel a LOT more positive -- heck ya! It feels a LOT more direct. The shifter throws are a LOT shorter. I guess you could say it feels 'stiffer', but in a good way. This shifter w/ the heel-toe accel pedal from Ultimate Pedals PLUS the truetrac rear axle PLus the JBA headers (this is on top of the previous mods I've written up at length -- Borla/CAI/Brenspeed Xcal2) makes going down to the corner store for a loaf of bread & a dozen eggs a trip to remember ;-)

Pics coming soon....
Old 2/12/06, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

esorense:

I've been driving a stick since I learned how to drive at 16 years old.... and I'm 30.

I love this car, but I have to say.... 3rd is a "female dog", especially when shifting at high RPMs.

Does this shifter help that at all? ...or does it just make the amount of motion to shift shorter?
Old 2/14/06, 02:37 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 13, 2006, 12:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
esorense:

I've been driving a stick since I learned how to drive at 16 years old.... and I'm 30.

I love this car, but I have to say.... 3rd is a "female dog", especially when shifting at high RPMs.

Does this shifter help that at all? ...or does it just make the amount of motion to shift shorter?
[/b][/quote]

Agreed. Third and Fifth were dogs. BTW: You and are are about the same age and both probably did the same thing when we were 16 -- took the drivers test w/ a manual transmission car. I ended up taking my drivers test in an ol' well-worn 1982 Subaru GL 4 door with 150K+ miles on it. I had to do that because just the week prior to my drivers test my older brother bounced his VW GTI Coupe 5 speed over a curb and wrecked it.. But thats a bit off topic here.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Yes, going into third is much more positive. I remember exactly what you are talking about. Third gear did stink w/ the stock shifter. I only have had ONE occasion where I had any difficulty at all going into third. It was more operator error than the new shifter -- probably due to a 'flashback' recalling how much 3rd gear used to suck. Keep in mind, with the new shifter, you get to tune your own shift gate w/ those set screws on the shift collar. Plus, I recommend spending the $15 bucks on the new bright red bushings, too when you do this. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/15/06, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the help fellas. I just finished ordering one for myself, with the new bushings.

Do I have to drop the driveshaft or did you do that to make it easier?
Old 2/15/06, 06:04 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GMC Woo @ February 15, 2006, 7:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for all the help fellas. I just finished ordering one for myself, with the new bushings.

Do I have to drop the driveshaft or did you do that to make it easier?
[/b][/quote]

Yup. You gotta drop driveshaft to get at the hookups to the top of the tranny. Remember:

1. The S197 fixes that god-awful cable bent-arm monstrosity that was in the S95's and foxes
and
2. Even if you spent a lot more money on a shift, you'd still need to drop the driveshaft.

When you have a minute, pop off the vinyl shift boot of your car, then lift the rubber sealer gasket that fits around the base of the shifter. You are going to see pavement. This is normal. It will make sense to U when you see this. You will see why the driveshaft needs to come out.

Hey, take a second to order up some redlinegoods shift boots while your at it! The center console needs to pop off anyhow so why not?

Anyhow I *just* got the pix onto an Iomega zip drive so I can take them home and edit them and do some write ups. I'm working to get something up overnight 2night. w/ some pics and tutorials.

Eric.
Old 2/16/06, 11:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, since im already spending lots of money this week, ill have the short shifter come too lol. Just need to order the bushings from steeda, and ill be all set for $150
Old 2/16/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Pictures would be awesome! I really want to do this some time in the future, simply because of how crappy 3rd is.

Be careful with those Iomega Zip Drives. I've lost a lot of data to the "click of death". Amazingly enough, after a giant lawsuit, Iomega released a new drive called, guess.... "Clik"! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

**EDIT** Just for kicks, I looked it up. It's actually in Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rcial_failures

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 15, 2006, 8:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyhow I *just* got the pix onto an Iomega zip drive so I can take them home and edit them and do some write ups. I'm working to get something up overnight 2night. w/ some pics and tutorials.

Eric.
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/16/06, 11:37 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flapjack @ February 16, 2006, 12:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Pictures would be awesome! I really want to do this some time in the future, simply because of how crappy 3rd is.

Be careful with those Iomega Zip Drives. I've lost a lot of data to the "click of death". Amazingly enough, after a giant lawsuit, Iomega released a new drive called, guess.... "Clik"! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

**EDIT** Just for kicks, I looked it up. It's actually in Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rcial_failures
[/b][/quote]

If i have time, ill do a writeup with pictures when i install mine.
Old 2/16/06, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 16, 2006, 1:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If i have time, ill do a writeup with pictures when i install mine.
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/16/06, 04:55 PM
GT Member

darn this website. Just started a new job and am anxiously awaiting the day the first paycheck comes in. So I can **** it all away on mods. heh this got put up just behind true trac, gears, and LCAs.

It's no fair because all of the v6ers with fat wallets drive automatics so I can't get my reports on stuff like this, thanks for this thread [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

i dont have a fat wallet, but im doin the best i can for us manual users [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

At least one person doesn't have to buy it all and report on the results. Keep up the good work guys. This kind of stuff is great for the community.

That, and PICTURES! I plan to document both the TrueTrac install, and the ProCharger install.

My wife will be complaining about all the grease on the camera!
Old 2/25/06, 02:46 PM

Well gentlemen,
It is installed and I LOVE IT!!!!

Truly a worthwhile investment for the manual bubbas out there. It may not add HP, but you definitely get into the gears better and that should help reduce the ET's. I would have taken pictures of the install, but I don't think you guys want to see a knucklehead screwing things up the first three or four times until he gets it right...

If you want to do this yourself, make sure you get the $15 bushings too.

Later
Asa
Old 2/25/06, 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Ya, mines going in next week. The packing comes with really blurry black and white pictures, so ill try to take some when i do it. Should be fairly easy.
Old 2/27/06, 05:43 PM

Be careful...when they say the brass bushing/spacer is "a tight fit, so expect some resistance..." they mean, the thing is too big, you need a hydraulic press, and take it easy or you will deform the cup it is going into...

Other than that it was fairly simple...

Asa

Quick Reply: STEEDA Sport Shifter Kit