V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Shims and bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/06, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have installed gears & locker, did you need shims? bearings? How many?
Old 2/20/06, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zodiac @ February 20, 2006, 8:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For those who have installed gears & locker, did you need shims? bearings? How many?
[/b][/quote]

I bought the motive bearing kit from mustangtuning.com. Had everything the shop needed and then some. However, the 2nd time around, Excessive provided it. They had plently on hand, so if you go to a good mustang shop, you shouldn't need them.
Old 2/20/06, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 20, 2006, 9:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I bought the motive bearing kit from mustangtuning.com. Had everything the shop needed and then some. However, the 2nd time around, Excessive provided it. They had plently on hand, so if you go to a good mustang shop, you shouldn't need them.
[/b][/quote]

I got a kit also. It was like $100. It was probably overkill but oh well. It's only money right?
Old 2/20/06, 07:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ February 20, 2006, 9:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I got a kit also. It was like $100. It was probably overkill but oh well. It's only money right?
[/b][/quote]

Yea, only money. Hmmm, I wonder if the wife is on the mustang forums.....hmmmm....better be careful.
Old 2/20/06, 07:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 20, 2006, 9:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yea, only money. Hmmm, I wonder if the wife is on the mustang forums.....hmmmm....better be careful.
[/b][/quote]

If I don't spend it, she will. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

They didnt tell me it needed anything [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
SO im not sure if they just didnt charge me or what. They charged me for gear markin compound, and silicon, thats it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm going to set up my rearend using what's there. Car is brand new, so I can reuse the bearings and shims. If by any chance anything is off, then I can get selective shims from a buddy's rearend shop.
The only thing that must be changed is the collapsable spacer for the pinion, but that should come with the gearset right?
Old 2/20/06, 08:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 20, 2006, 10:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm going to set up my rearend using what's there. Car is brand new, so I can reuse the bearings and shims. If by any chance anything is off, then I can get selective shims from a buddy's rearend shop.
The only thing that must be changed is the collapsable spacer for the pinion, but that should come with the gearset right?
[/b][/quote]

I don't recall seeing a spacer with my 4.10s, but they were motives. Only the ring and pinon were in the box.
Old 2/20/06, 08:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wonder if you can get away with reusing the same one, I don't think I would want to as you get one shot to do it right, if you torque it too much it's useless and you must use another one.
I rather start with a fresh one
They are also called crush sleeves, I thought they would come with the gearset. Guess that's one thing I would like to order.
Old 2/20/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im having someone do the install, not a shop, and money is really an issue for me; I need to know some kind of numbers here and dont have 100$ to spend on an install kit alone.
Old 2/20/06, 09:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I would reuse the bearings on a new car, for shims it is very possible you can set the clearances correctly with what's there.
I myself like to have access to extra parts just in case (I'm not buying a kit, but if I were to need something I can get it).
A kit is really designed for those building a rearend from scratch, from an empty carrier. If you buy the 100 dollar kit you may not need it, and if you were to need something it would leave you with a 99% complete kit. Or you can throw away the perfectly fine stuff you currently have and replace everything with new parts from the kit.

Ask your guy to see what he's comfortable with.
Old 2/20/06, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 20, 2006, 10:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Do you only need to replace that if you're changing the gears? I ask because I'm installing my TT tomorrow.
Old 2/21/06, 12:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes, only if changing out the gears.
Let us know how she feels afterward [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 07:24 PM

Gents,
Been doing gears and Loks for many years. Just recently put 3.73s and T lok in my 06. Here is the bottom line from a gear head that has been at this for over 30 years...

First, if you are changing out the gears on a new car then the bearings will be fine. If you are planning to race, then obviously the bearings will need to be upgraded. However, for most on this forum, you are looking for a better off the line shot and with a T lok, both wheels burning. As for the shims...they are cheep and you do not need a kit. Just go to Ford and buy a shim pack for the 7.8. As for using the existing shims and thinking that they will work for the new gear set up...WRONG! Now granted, there is an outside chance that the same measuements will work, but I have NEVER seen it. If you are also installing a T Lok, I can bet that the stock shim set up is way off...period!

For those of you with a money crunch...do this. Go to a junk yard and buy 3.73 gears and a T Lok from a Ford Ranger P.U. This should cost around $100. 99% of the Ford Rangers never spun two wheels, never got off raod, and the gears and T Lok will run 500,000 miles unless you are pumping massive torque. Clean them all up and take them to a shop (I do my own, but I do not suggest it unless someone is there to show you how to do it the first time and has a lift and the proper measuring tools.) The shop will have shims...not to worry. As for the crush washer...mandatory! They are only a couplke bucks. Your shop will know this but with used gears and T LOK, the torque pressure on the Pinnon is less than with new gears...they will understand...not to worry. The install should only cost about 200-300 depending on the shop. So, 3.73s, Tlok and install under 500. You can also find used 3.73s and Tlok on ebay.

If you have any specific questions or are going to try it yourself, just ask...I will be happy to help.

Cheers...
Old 2/21/06, 07:30 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torkfastback @ February 21, 2006, 8:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Gents,
Been doing gears and Loks for many years. Just recently put 3.73s and T lok in my 06. Here is the bottom line from a gear head that has been at this for over 30 years...

First, if you are changing out the gears on a new car then the bearings will be fine. If you are planning to race, then obviously the bearings will need to be upgraded. However, for most on this forum, you are looking for a better off the line shot and with a T lok, both wheels burning. As for the shims...they are cheep and you do not need a kit. Just go to Ford and buy a shim pack for the 7.8. As for using the existing shims and thinking that they will work for the new gear set up...WRONG! Now granted, there is an outside chance that the same measuements will work, but I have NEVER seen it. If you are also installing a T Lok, I can bet that the stock shim set up is way off...period!

For those of you with a money crunch...do this. Go to a junk yard and buy 3.73 gears and a T Lok from a Ford Ranger P.U. This should cost around $100. 99% of the Ford Rangers never spun two wheels, never got off raod, and the gears and T Lok will run 500,000 miles unless you are pumping massive torque. Clean them all up and take them to a shop (I do my own, but I do not suggest it unless someone is there to show you how to do it the first time and has a lift and the proper measuring tools.) The shop will have shims...not to worry. As for the crush washer...mandatory! They are only a couplke bucks. Your shop will know this but with used gears and T LOK, the torque pressure on the Pinnon is less than with new gears...they will understand...not to worry. The install should only cost about 200-300 depending on the shop. So, 3.73s, Tlok and install under 500. You can also find used 3.73s and Tlok on ebay.

If you have any specific questions or are going to try it yourself, just ask...I will be happy to help.

Cheers...
[/b][/quote]

Just fyi, the labor time in shopkey is over 5 hours. at the average shop rate of $78/hour in my area, thats quite a bit. And most shops charge a higher rate when customers bring their own parts (i do at my shop). When i called around i got quotes between $414 and $620 for labor only.
Old 2/21/06, 07:36 PM

Man am I glad I can do my own gears! I will say that it took me about 6 hours to do the job...
Old 2/21/06, 07:49 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torkfastback @ February 21, 2006, 8:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Man am I glad I can do my own gears! I will say that it took me about 6 hours to do the job...
[/b][/quote]

The only reason i had someone else do it is because i trust him, and he gave me a really good deal. I sublet all my rear end work to his shop, so thats why he gave me a good deal.
Old 2/23/06, 02:30 AM
Bullitt Member

My install yesterday went well, but I was only swapping in the TrueTrac, not messing with the gears.

The TT was the exact same width as the stock diff. The shims fit perfect, backlash was the same, and everything is super quiet and smooth.

The bearings were a different story, but that was my own fault. I think I might not have tightened up the bearing puller enough, because the first bearing wouldn't come off, and ended up getting deformed. The second one came off perfectly. Luckily, I had a spare bearing/race set.

In hindsight, I wish I had purchased two bearings just in case. Otherwise, I'd be calling PepBoys to deliver me another bearing!

If you're doing the gears, the crush sleeve is not reusable.